man makes a .22 lr pistol with a 3d printer

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by user123, Jul 26, 2012.

1. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Ony thing he "made" with the the printer was the bare lower. Can't do springs or steel parts. Also have serious doubts about the .223 upper, sicne the 22s dont have (or need) a buffer.

Incomplete info here....

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

And for the other side of the coin....

It is not a MIM product!

3. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

if its printed what exactly is it made of??

4. JigSawer40

JigSawer40 New Member

I find that hard to believe. How does it know how to make the inner works?

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I NEVER open a link a new member posts & didn't bother to comment on it himself-----------
    Sounds like i saved myself a couple minutes anyway-;)

6. user123

user123 New Member

You still managed to waste your time by leaving a comment. Time well saved indeed. ;)

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Great alias BTW - Opps, more wasted ----

8. user123

user123 New Member

9. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

So the guy basically built an illegal gun........

10. c3shooter

If you mean illegal because of the plastic/ security xray, etc- don't think so. When you install the pieces parts- hammer, sear, trigger, springs, mag release, bolt hold open etc etc it would be detectable. But until you mentioned that, had not really thought about it. And the upper will have a steel barrel, bolt, bolt carrier group, etc.

11. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Actually, I was referring to the possibility that it does not have a serial #. Which, in hindsight, I don't know if it does. It just came off as something that some guy made, and he's not BATF licensed to manufacture guns.

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

It is legal to make some firearms for your own personal use so long as you dont give them away or sell them

13. c3shooter

And as long as the firearm does not "enter the stream of commerce" it does not have to have a serial number.

If this ever reaches the point of being economically feasible, I can see the internet flame wars now-

YOUR build is trash because YOU ran the software on a PC/ Apple/ Ipod. YOU are using LINUX instead of DOS. Sorry, you used a Chinese printer- your gun is not 922 compliant. MY software came from DPMS, and it is just as good as your ArmaLite software, and a lot cheaper. Oh yeah, well, HE used open source shareware, it is not milspec, and does not have a dust cover.
    Since this deposits mini dots of plastic for the build, there will be the "old school" AR fans that swear it has to be aluminum- and think AR means Aluminum Rifle.

On the other hand, when someone makes a 1911 that is plastic based, the Glock and 1911 fans will unite (except for the owners of steel guns that will decry the heresy)

And Frank Lautenberg and Barbara Boxer will enter an amendment to an agriculture bill that will make it a crime to fail to secure your printer, and require a background check for printers sold at computer shows. And protest the cheap internet sale of printer templates- especially the ones that have the thing that goes up over the barrel.

:D

14. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Really? You can make your own gun? I did not know that. I was under the impression that making your own gun was a huge NO-NO. I have been wondering about that lately. I have noticed a number of You-tube videos about people who have made their own. Couldn't believe they posted them up there.....Does anyone think the Feds comb thru all that crap and go bust some people occasionally because of the video they made & posted?

15. c3shooter

Gee- you mean that if I make a video showing me performing a felonious act, like possessing a SBR or a full auto that I have not registered, and post it on a public forum oe website, that it COULD be used as evidence against me?

Whoda thunk it ? I mean, it is just a LITTLE felony, punished by 10 years in Federal prison, and a $10,000 fine. It's not like I tore the tags off my mattress or sumpin....

(Evolution in action- truly stupid people removing selves from breeding population)

16. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

Anyone find that link saying JFK is alive and having sex with Marilyn Monroe on a beach in Mexico?

Give me a few minutes and I'll even find you a link saying Elana Kagan was born a female.

17. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Well, C3, I ask because I have never heard of someone getting busted because of a youtube video. And there are plenty of questionable ones. And yeah, I know there are a lot of massively stupid people around...........