Man, I’m a cheapskate when it comes to targets.

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by SSGN_Doc, Jun 6, 2020.

1. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

But why pay what they charge for targets if you can’t use the whole thing?

2. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

not cheap. Thrifty and smart.

3. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

Agreed with towboater, pretty smart actually.

I use a ton of recycled plastic containers and gallons, once their done, throw away and repeat. Saves money on targets. I use targets just for accuracy improvement and the recycled stuff if I just wanna plink.

boatme98 and towboater like this.
  4. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

Absolutely agreed.

You know, you can take a hole punch and knock out dozens of little DayGlo Yellow dots, which can then be placed on any darker surface ... such as blue-colored 8.5x11" sheets of paper or cardboard or whatever. Even the entire backing sheet can work that way. Smaller than a 1" diameter paster, sure, but all the better to refine those "aim small, miss small" skills.

Once picked up a huge roll of ~2x3ft recycled paper targets that were really thin and flimsy but only cost a couple pennies each (in the roll, which was heavily discounted). I used that for the better part of a decade, re-using them until I'd covered hands-breadth areas over each one, and consumed all the available unmarked portions for DIY "pasters" to be applied to other darker surfaces. Worked nicely.

A 50ft length of butcher paper or cheap newsprint type paper does wonders, too.

I love the color-changing targets. What's not to like? But the prices leave much to be desired.

boatme98 and schnuffleupagus like this.
  5. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

why even pay for what they charge for target in the first place?

I make my own..............50 cents for a roll of wallpaper from a garage sale, a stencil silhouette from cardboard; FREE, spray paint; 1 dollar at a garage sale.....................and Voilà targets! :D

[​IMG]

6. hairbear1

hairbear1 Well-Known Member

Some blokes on the hunting forum I'm here in Australia use Bissalloy as a target backdrop when using the heavier calibres but it's expensive but durable.
    I use a pole cap that work generously supplies for nothing not that th ey know it but these are a lot more durable and 'cheaper" and can be used on anything from .22 up to whatever.

I have used old corflute posters from elections and they do ok but they tend to shatter after a few sessions of sighting in where as these pole caps last for a long time and you only have to put tape over the old holes which you can also use as an aiming point and go again.

.22mag groups.jpg

boatme98, towboater and SSGN_Doc like this.
  7. Nmwabbit

Nmwabbit Well-Known Member

a blank piece of printer/butcher/wrapping paper as a target...cheep and readily available.

eliminates bullseye anxiety, especially for beginners, as well as identifies aiming, tremor, as breathing issues, as the shooter builds appropriate muscle memory!

aim in the middle of the pull the trigger and repeat without getting out of the shooting stance which is common as the shooter stupidly wants to know..."where'd i hit the target" resulting in having to re-sight his shot!

towboater likes this.
  8. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

My step dad used the cheapest paper plates

GMG2, towboater and boatme98 like this.
  9. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

When I could shoot on my own property
    GUEST_0d43be84-8010-4e3b-b62f-838638cd4e22.jpeg images (7).jpeg
    The cheapest dollar store stuff I could find. Great fun, huge mess, and the deer and turkeys would clean it up at night.

PANDEMIC likes this.
  10. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

been known to do that too.

11. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

I buy IDPA practice targets by the 100 box. I go though a lot of targets. I also go to thrift stores and buy as many shirts/t-shirts as they will sell me cheap. Staple them over the IDPA targets and shoot them. Then take them down and see how you did hitting the important parts. Whole lotta difference when there is no clear point of reference for that front sight.

12. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I’m a big fan of juice boxes. They are about 1.25X2.5X4-inches, and bright yellow. At 100-yards and less, they work well for teaching kids to shoot 22s. You hit it, it goes Splat, and purple or red “juice’ goes every where. Paper and even clays, just sit there, and are boring.

For me, I like to shoot a 204 Ruger. Out at 300-yards or more, it is really hard to tell where those little bullets hit a paper target, even with a really good spotting scope. And if I put the juice boxes so the end faces me, I have a 1.25X2.5-inch bright yellow target.

And, I know instantly if I’ve hit it: BIG BRIGHT FLASH of color.

13. AgedWarrior

AgedWarrior Active Member

Cheap paper plates with a sticky in the center are great. Old plastic containers are great filled with water for a reactive target. I got a kick out of blowing up my last colonoscopy prep bottle with 450 Bushmaster...

towboater likes this.
  14. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

You can. The yellow part is just as sticky. I carry pocket scissors and cut it up for repairs if needed.

schnuffleupagus likes this.
  15. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

Cardboard with a marker to make a bullseye. Sometimes i use stickers too. For more reactive ones. I shoot cans and old bricks. I also pick up clays out in the trap fields.

16. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

Frankly, not using quality or splatter targets is being penny wise. One such target will take a lot of holes with proper repairs. By then you will have spent 20 times more worth of ammo, and the paper plate savings become immaterial.

17. Artbrownsr

Artbrownsr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

My favorite fun target is a pop bottle with a cap, throw it out there and line up to shoot the bottom to take out the cap.

W.T. Sherman likes this.
  18. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

I sometimes use to shoot on a friend's property, before he passed away, I took a bunch of boxes of x-mas tree ornaments, I got at garage sales for uber, uber super cheap :). hang them off several wire stands (political sign) at different heights and we shot at those

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  19. PeeJay1313

PeeJay1313 Well-Known Member Supporter

What I use when I'm on the road, I stop by one of them "Dollar Stores" deals. Grab a deck of cards and a roll of clear tape. With all the extra cards, you have about 60 targets for about $3. There great targets for self defense practice. Me and my boy make up games like tic tac toe to play to make it interesting.

20. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

I just print my own using a laser printer and cheap bond paper.