Man gets shrapnel lodged in head after shooting Tannerite-rigged computer

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by Bigcountry02, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

FYI, use safety precaution, i.e. position oneself and others behind barrier when using Tannerite.

http://www.guns.com/2013/08/17/man-...rite-rigged-computer-video/?utm_source=feedly

[ame]http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=4e3_1376602237[/ame]

2. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

There are times when even a Conservative thinks should he be allowed to own a firearm? :rolleyes:

3. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes ;)

4. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Maybe the computer was a PC with boot problems.....

5. therewolf

therewolf New Member

For some reason, the ELO song "Cant Get You Out Of My Head"

comes to mind. I guess it's a shame they didn't record

"Not Using Proper Judgement While I Shoot"...

6. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g3I_VmmRB_E[/ame]

7. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I see the lawyers adding a line to the computer owner's manual now:

Use of computer as a target voids warranty. Addition of Tannerite and/or other explosive compounds provides a dangerous situation to computer users and should be avoided at all costs. Dell cannot be responsible for high-velocity modifications.

8. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Warning, Playing games with explosives and devices that explode can be hazardous to your health (or the health of spectators)!

Does anyone really need that in writing? He's lucky as poo that it wasnt about an inch lower or he might be blind as well as dumb! When we started seeing the mock secondary explosions on the gun shows, I had this thought that we might see a "boom" in injuries caused by things like this. The idiot warning at the beginning of the shows does nothing to actually stop folks from trying what they see on tv. Ive found that almost anything with the ending "Ite" can be dangerous when initiated with heat and compression; packing it inside of anything but a jelly doughnut and shooting it will cause shrapnel and Injuries if your close enough.

All that said, I have certainly had my share of explosives play in the Army but that was done under very strict and controlled situations with experts on site to make sure we all left the ranges with everything we started out with still attached to our bodies! One range we each had two pallets per NCO of explosives (TNT, C4), generators, cords and caps (we even made little explosive bunnies out of the C4, dont pet fluffy if you see a det cord sticking out its ***). That was one of the most fun days Ive ever spent on a range. Its amazing just how far rocks, sticks and debris can fly when propelled by even a small amount of explosive material.

Another thing to note, the guy in this clip obviously wasnt wearing protective gear (helmet, eye protection, flack vest) otherwise this headline wouldnt have made the news "Man escapes injury because he was fully prepared for what he was doing"! He gets the Darwin award, at least an honorarium!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  9. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Wow...

Common sense... rarely as abundant as we'd like

Tack

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Y'know- there is a REAL good reason why, if there is no Blaster's Shelter, you will find us parking a loader tail end-on to the shot, and sitting inside the bucket when we pull a shot.

Bare rock can boogie, and the rock wins every time.

blaster shelter.jpg

11. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I can relate. I used A LOT of C-4 and Flex-X in the Big Green Lantern, and I was way too close to several air strikes and arty, ours and theirs. HE does not discriminate!:eek:
    You can violate the laws of man and get away with it most of the time, but you can't violate the laws of physics and get away with it ever;).

12. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Saw a kid under my training bring back a Kiowa with a huge honkin hole in the center of the canopy. seems he was too close to a live rocket strike and the target was(a dead APC) packed with arty simulators...
    More paperwork......(*sigh*)

13. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger Member

Tannerite........just another tool nature uses to weed out the dumb ones

14. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Yes indeed, kinda like a grenade! Leave it on your desk and sooner or later some dumbass will most certainly pull the pin! Erckles are everywhere including the Whitehouse, "Ooops, Did I do that???"

Truth is, as long as all they do is take themselves out, Im ok with that generally! Its when they involve those of us around them in their Darwinian Adventures that I draw the line.

Thats why Im a Country Boy, much safer out here, many less Darwins per capita! Not like we dont play our share of dangerous games, Ive had a few OMG moments but we were much better than folks nowadays at recognizing the power and the strength of the tools we were "Experimenting with".

Few of the things we did were "As seen on TV", we learned them first hand from people who knew before we tried them ourselves! Two local farmers lost their arms in corn-choppers in a month in the 70's (just like a corn stalk), lesson was learned by all of us every-time we saw their hook arms, "Turn the Tractor off before you unplug a jamb in a PTO driven implement". Mrs Ames gross patch over her right eye reminded us just how dangerous a light front end on a pigeon toed tractor could be on a steep grade! We all knew not to go to Arnolds TNT Shack EVER even though he didnt lock it, we saw how he made ponds with it, NFW were we messing with that!

The guy who did this should tattoo Idiot on his forehead with a few thousand other documented idiots we have seen on TV.

15. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

He just wanted to be connected like never before.

16. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Tell me about it. I live in the same county as the moron who made the news (at least in this region, he is mentioned, not by name on the Tannerite Wiki page.) for setting off 18 pounds of the stuff on the southern end of the county. i guess the BOOM was heard as far away as parts of Warren County PA. His cousin rents one of the rooms in the house I live in, and in his own words:

"Frankly, I am amazed the he has lived this long. God must protect fools."

i will admit that I play with my toys that go boom from time to time. I will even admit that I enjoy watching explosions, but only from a safe distance. I also make it a policy to let local LE know when and where i will be playing that day. Full safety procdures are in effect EVERY time I use reactive targets. Not just for me, for everyone involve. participant and observer, no exceptions.

Doc3402's signature says it all. Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned. The guy in the video just jumped to the top of my list for honorable mentions for a Darwin Award.

17. unclebear

unclebear New Member

Honestly people give me a funny look when I go shooting wearing the old combat helmet. THIS RIGHT HERE IS WHY PEOPLE! If he had been wearing a helmet he would have had a better chance of not having to go to the hospital. Just thinking about this he also would have been better off digging in to it would have covered his body better. Hell I hope he rethinks how he uses tannerite that shrapnel could have just easily hit him in the throat.

How can people be this damn stupid.

18. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Put on a flak jacket and that is what I looked like in 1968!!!:D

19. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

18 lbs of tannerite to take out a computer?
    The guy had it coming.