Man defends himself and wife from home invader ,January 26, 2013

Discussion in 'Firearms in the Media' started by molonlabexx, Mar 6, 2013.

1. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

David Erives and his wife were in their Omaha, Neb. home when a man began pounding on their back door. The wife went to answer the door, but upon opening it, the man grabbed her and came inside the house. To protect his wife, Erives retrieved a rifle and shot the criminal once in the leg and ordered the home invader to the floor. When the intruder didn’t comply, Erives shot the man again, this time in the chest, killing him.

Police are conducting an investigation, but have told local media, “at this point all indications are that the shooting was justified.” (WOWT, Omaha, Neb. January 26, 2013)

SOURCE

2. TDS92A

TDS92A New Member Supporter

I guess that Mr. Erives kept shooting until the aggression stopped.

Good for him!

3. dalefan88

dalefan88 New Member

I tell my wife to grab the 9mm and unload all 15 rounds in them. She practiced it all the time before ammo prices went up and hard to find.

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

You SHOULD be telling her to grab the double barrel, go out on your manor balcony, and shoot two shots in the air. And THEN fire two more shots through the door without identifying anyone on the other side. That's the vice president's advice.

5. blackxpress

blackxpress New Member

If she takes Biden's advice I wonder if he'll testify at her trial.

6. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Some people just need a good killin'

7. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

Police-"Lady, you know there is a 2 shell limit to shotguns now. Where did you get the other two?"

8. Missouribound

Missouribound Active Member

If she takes his advice, does that make him an accessory...is it pre-meditated?

9. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Wouldn't it be great if NBC would make as much effort to broadcast and sensationalize these events as they do to broadcast every gun crime that happens in the world?

10. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

I'd say it was!! :eek:

11. dalefan88

dalefan88 New Member

My wife laughed her a$$ off when she heard him say that.

12. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

Good forvthe homeowner. I have never been one to wish someone dead but I'd much rather see the homeowner safe and the bad ght dead than the other way around.

The homeowner has more restraint than I do though. I am not one to pull a gun and wound w a leg **** (I don't think I would be anyway). I believe I'd be shooting center mass off the bat...

13. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

As far as sensationalizing the removal of some of life's vermin, you just can't generate as much compassion for them as you can for puppies & kids.

14. Missouribound

Missouribound Active Member

Center mass and continue to shoot until the threat is eliminated. Trying "just" to wound somebody is a good way to get yourself killed.

15. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

So, I wonder, was the guy armed? If not, it's still considered justified? (Not that I think he shouldn't have been shot either way, mind you.)

Why does it seem that sometimes, it's "OK you're cool, carry on.", and other times, the defender gets hauled off to jail, and has legal troubles, ect., when both events seem to be justified? There should be a better guideline for this.......

16. 762

762 Member

shame on you fellas, maybe the bad guy was choking on a burger and he was trying to get this mans wife to give him the heimlich.

glad to hear another POS is off the streets.

17. 1911love

1911love New Member

I don't care if you are armed or not. I presume anyone entering my home uninvited is armed and means me harm. This is how FL Castle Doctrine works and I agree with it. As far as I'm concerned, you give up ALL your rights when you break in someone else's home.

18. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

He didn't break into, she opened the door. I'm not defending him, mind you. I am just wondering if he was armed, and how that would/could maybe change things if you shot him........
    I agree with the above, but what you or I think doesn't mean crap, it's what the cops or the judge thinks.

19. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

While I will concede that the attacker did not technically break in, it was an intrusion. Whether or not he was armed is irrelevant. Castle doctrine allows for defense when one has a reasonable fear of eminent peril.

20. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Check the laws of your state. Some have castle doctrine, some require you to try to escape, even to the point of running away from your home, and only shoot if all other options are exhausted.