Man arrested for defending home, family

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by bkt, Sep 8, 2010.

1. bkt

bkt New Member

Long Island Man Arrested For Defending Home With AK-47

Says Many Gang Members Were Coming After His Family
    September 7, 2010 11:00 PM

UNIONDALE, N.Y. (CBS 2) — He was arrested for protecting his property and family.

But it’s how the Long Island man did it that police say crossed the line.
    He got an AK-47 assault rifle, pulled the trigger and he ended up in jail, reports CBS 2’s Pablo Guzman.

George Grier said he had to use his rifle on Sunday night to stop what he thought was going to be an invasion of his Uniondale home by a gang he thought might have been the vicious “MS-13.” He said the whole deal happened as he was about to drive his cousin home.

“I went around and went into the house, ran upstairs and told my wife to call the police. I get the gun and I go outside and I come into the doorway and now, by this time, they are in the driveway, back here near the house. I tell them, you know, ‘Can you please leave?’ Grier said.

Grier said the five men dared him to use the gun; and that their shouts brought another larger group of gang members in front of his house.

“He starts threatening my family, my life. ‘Oh you’re dead. I’m gonna kill your family and your babies. You’re dead.’ So when he says that, 20 others guys come rushing around the corner. And so I fired four warning shots into the grass,” Grier said.

Grier was later arrested. John Lewis is Grier’s attorney.

“What he’s initially charged with – A D felony reckless endangerment — requires a depraved indifference to human life, creating a risk that someone’s going to die. Shooting into a lawn doesn’t create a risk of anybody dying,” Lewis said.

Grier said he knew Nassau County Police employ the hi-tech “ShotSpotter” technology in his area and that the shooting would bring police in minutes. Cops told Guzman he was very cooperative.

Grier also said he was afraid the gang outside his house was the dreaded MS-13. And Nassau County Police Lt. Andrew Mulraine, head of the gang unit, said MS-13 has 2,000 members in the county.

“They’re probably the most organized. They almost have a military hierarchy within the gang, so they are the most organized gang we encounter on a daily basis,” Mulraine said.

You may think a person has the right to defend their home. But the law says you can only use physical force to deter physical force. Grier said he never saw anyone pull out a gun, so a court would have to decide on firing the gun.

Police determined Grier had the gun legally. He has no criminal record. And so he was not charged for the weapon.

That ShotSpotter technology pinpoints where a gun has been fired within 35 feet. Police said it also detected two other shootings in nearby Roosevelt that night.

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

That's just wrong. They should give him a medal for standing up to those scum.

"Grier also said he was afraid the gang outside his house was the dreaded MS-13. And Nassau County Police Lt. Andrew Mulraine, head of the gang unit, said MS-13 has 2,000 members in the county."

Any guesses on how many are here legally?

3. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

Sounds about right. Defend your home, go to jail.....yeah NOT!:mad: eff all this BS

4. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Rediculous!! This guy is a hero, leave him the hell alone!!

5. CJohn364

CJohn364 New Member

“He starts threatening my family, my life. ‘Oh you’re dead. I’m gonna kill your family and your babies. You’re dead.’ So when he says that, 20 others guys come rushing around the corner. And so I fired four warning shots into the grass,” Grier said.

I guess someone has to play devil's advocate. Verbal threats are just words, but the "20" people that came rushing around the corner is a bit vague. Where did they go when they came around the corner? Did they rush toward the guy or did they just go stand behind their "fearless leader" and just look manacing. IF they were charging the guy, then yeah, I agree with him because proper escalation of force was used. But if they were just standing there throwing words then it's a different story. If him just showing the weapon stopped them from advancing, then his escalation of force was effective because they stopped. This is just my $.02 worth on this, but the whole story seems a bit vague to me.

6. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

If the man was able to go into the house to get the gun then he could have locked the door and called the police. This is the same sort of hide in fear laws we have in LA. What this man did was brave but IMO foolish. Know the the laws of your state if you are going to own a firearm. I'm not agreeing with the laws here but I better live by them or move.

I would never show my gun to a gang member unless I had no choice except to shoot them. Letting BGs know you have a gun just puts a target on your house to be ripped off next time you leave. Now he has no gun, a pending felony trial, and a gang after him.

Actions like this only work out well in Clint Eastwood movies.

7. orangello

orangello New Member

It does sound like he could've holed up in his house to avoid persecution er prosecution, but i don't know that i would've been able to go that way myself. I wonder what has happened before between him and the gangbangers, as it doesn't sound like this was a first meeting.

If it is wrong to use a gun to ward off an encroaching angry mob on one's own private property, i don't want to be right. I think this might be another case of "right" not being the same as "legal".

8. BunnyWabbit

BunnyWabbit New Member

I sure am glad Kansas has the castle law that extends all the way to the property line. And, best of all, I only have to fear getting injured to defend myself. I would think I could hold up pretty well on my own, but keep adding people, the fight gets just a little unfair.

9. Murfdog

Murfdog New Member

Sad Day

:mad:What a sad day!When you are in fear for your and your familys well being and or life,that because you live in a leftist part of the USA you can not defend yourself.We can only hope that this man will be no billed.The sad part is he and his family must now live in fear not knowing when those magots will return to his home.I thank GOD every day that I was born and live in the great state of TEXAS!!New York what a sespool there leftist laws are so unamerican.

Murfdog

10. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

He should have plugged one of them just to set an example, and then just sprinkled some crack on him.

11. jbd

jbd New Member

All I can say is that you come in my yard saying you will kill me and my family I will not be firing my gun into the ground, but I bet you can guess where I will be firing it. I hope that all charges against this man are dropped or dismissed.

12. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

IMHO, he should have started with a 12 gauge shotgun and had the AK there for back-up. The ending might have turned out just a little bit differently.....
    [​IMG]

13. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Why am i not surprised that a law abiding man was charged for defending his family by the same NY prosecutor who routinely makes sweetheart plea deals with murderers, kidnappers and rapists.

14. k2000k

k2000k New Member

As terrible as this is I think the guy will be vindicated in court. I know I wouldn't convict a guy who was facing down 20 some odd thugs and I am pretty sure that most reasonable individuals would think that seeing that huge crowd start to gather around would cause reasonable fear for someones personal safety.

15. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

They have some stupid laws in NY for sure.
    And what is ShotSpotter technology and how's it work??? Never heard of it.

16. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Shot Spotter uses mikes and sensors on rooftops, utility poles and all over the place. When a gun is fired a triangulation is made. The location of the shot is plotted. There is a mobile version of Shot Spotter.

Wired 15.04: Shot Spotter

17. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

If the f****d judicial system in NYS doesn't get him than the gang most certainly will. My fear is that this guy and his family will be dead either way :(

I see no problem with a man confronting thugs on his property. The only error this man made in not wasting every one of them! :mad:

18. bkt

bkt New Member

Oh, heck yeah. They vary from county to county, of course. Where I live, you can blast the bejesus out of anyone who breaks into your home. Once they're inside, have at 'em. But outside the home on your property...you can't touch 'em.

ShotSpotter is a mesh of microphones usually set around an urban area that specifically detect gunshots and triangulate on the location.

19. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Great..This guy was probably disarmed and don't think if these where gang member that they have forgotten about him. He goes to jail he's got a target on his back. He goes home the target is still on him and his family. It wont surprise me to hear of some accident happening involving this family some time in the future. :(

20. 556plinker

556plinker New Member

G bangers

What do you all expect.....this place is an appendage of NYC. I have a high regard for the guy just based on the fact that he had an AK for self defense.
    These punk a$$ MS-13's are pretty tough in groups but when people have had just enough crap from these illegals its just a matter of time before someone goes berserk. I am glad that he didn't at this point and I hope he keeps his freedom. All I can say is when I am an old ba$tard with little or no time left these pieces of trash had better tread lightly. To heck with jail, the only thing I want is the autopsy reports so I can see how well my reloads performed.