Man accidently shoots {and kills} woman being mauled by dog

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by partdeux, Oct 10, 2017.

1. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

That's a tough one. It was a dog attacking my family that got me into firearms.

DETROIT - A tragic incident Monday night resulted in a woman's death after she was accidentally shot by a neighbor who was trying to save her from an aggressive stray dog.

Located at Goodwin and Westminster streets is a community that is in shock after losing one of their own. The tightly-knit populace has been living in fear lately due to the recent arrival of a pack of stray dogs that have been canvasing the neighborhood. On occasion, some have even been afraid to leave their homes.
    https://www.clickondetroit.com/news...r-while-trying-to-save-her-from-attacking-dog

I carry to protect myself and my family. Not sure I could stand by and watch a woman being mauled by a dog, but this sure makes one think about getting involved in someone else's battle.

Balota and Dallas53 like this.
  2. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

sad, but unfortunate accidents do happen even when trying to do the right thing, or helping others.

i find no fault in what he did.

Balota, kfox75 and MisterMcCool like this.

3. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

Tragic. Can we use this as a teaching moment? If you want to intervene in such a situation, how do you do it?

I would think of approaching, drawing, grabbing the scruff, pulling to get some separation, then firing point blank through the chest area, but at an angle away from the human. I would not just shoot at the dog without considering the human.

But I don't know the anatomy well enough to know where would be most effective.

big shrek likes this.
  4. Balota

Tragic. Can we use this as a teaching moment? If you want to intervene in such a situation, how do you do it?

I would think of approaching, drawing, grabbing the scruff, pulling to get some separation, then firing point blank through the chest area, but at an angle away from the human. I would not just shoot at the dog without considering the human.

But I don't know the anatomy well enough to know where would be most effective. Would a front shoulder shot cause enough pain to make the dog let go of the human? In that situation I would not worry about whether I could kill with one shot. First goal is to get the attack stopped, then kill the animal as humanely as practical.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    Dallas53 likes this.
  5. Dallas53

that's sounds like it might be an effective method. but the size of the dog, the caliber of pistol being carried would also be factors to consider as well. if possible, i think going for shot directly into the brain would be better. even if it didn't kill it immediately, it should at least render the dog unable to continue attacking, and allowing a follow-up shot if needed.

another consideration, depending upon the size or breed of the dog, and depending upon how much clamping pressure they can exert when biting, getting the dog separated from the person they are biting could be very difficult. and i have seen in some cases where a person has intervened between two dogs and a trying to separate them and end up getting bit. the same could apply if the dog were attacking a human as well.

big shrek likes this.
  6. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I would keep at least 3-4 feet between me and the dog, probably more. This seems like it would be far enough away to keep me from getting quickly bit, while being close enough to make an accurate shot when the opportunity arrives.

7. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Not enough facts to make a precise observations, but I would try to stop this by grabbing the dog and pulling him off, which I have done MANY times on dog on dog fights, and if that did not work I would shot the SOB!

Balota likes this.
  8. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

If there was any chance of hitting the person, then he should not have took the shot.

Shopfox, JimRau, Balota and 1 other person like this.
  9. swampdude

swampdude New Member

What a sad story for 2 individuals and their friends, neighbors and loved ones. The man was trying to do the right thing but sometimes doing so has unforeseen and unintended consequences.

Balota and Dallas53 like this.
  10. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

And the real solution is to kill all loose dogs onsite. This pack of dogs were a known hazard.

big shrek and Balota like this.
  11. Dallas53

i can agree with that. but in such a stressful situation, and given the circumstances, he may have thought it was the best option at that moment.

i agree. no matter how you look at it, it's just a sad set of unfortunate events.

i am also pretty sure that the man will become his own harshest critic of what he did in the years to come.

12. Balota

A head shot would be ideal, but dogs attack with their mouths. If the dog had a hold on the victim, its brain would be inches from the human. That's why I'd think wounding it elsewhere to distract it could be a better approach. And wounding it in a way that prevents rapid escape (like a shoulder shot) might be the best.

Pulling the dog off the victim would probably require both hands. Once that is done, it's much harder to access the gun and control the dog. It's great if you're big enough and strong enough to manage the dog with one arm while drawing with the other. In the end, it's all about the situation and your capabilities.

Dallas53 likes this.
  13. Dallas53

exactly. it all depends upon the situation and the size of the dog and where the dog is latched onto the person they are attacking.

most definitely not a one size fits all answer will apply in such situations.

kfox75, Balota and winds-of-change like this.
  14. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

That is what I said. Not enough facts to make any knowable decisions here!

kfox75 likes this.
  15. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Once suggestion I heard, pistol whip the dog on the head to get him away from the woman and then deal with dispatching it.

This hits really really close to home. It was a loose pit attacking my wife, kids, and dogs that got me into firearms... especially since it took 45 minutes for the police to respond. Nobody was hurt, there was so much commotion going on, the dog was essentially distracted until a neighbor came out with some sort of martial arts device that hummed as he spun it. Dog did not like the noise and took off running.

16. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't disagree with your logic. However, if you inferred for someone to do this and they actually carried through with it, they could be charged with illegal discharge, face fines, jail time, lost rights, etc.

kfox75, Balota and Dallas53 like this.
  17. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

This pack of dogs were a known hazard and should have been dealt with before this event. But all loose dogs should not be killed on sight. Sometimes our much loved pets escape and return in an hour or two. It happens to the best dog owners out there.

kfox75, Balota and Dallas53 like this.
  18. Balota

True. Not looking for decisions. You've been in (or had to deal with) several fights involving dogs. What kinds of actions could be done by people of different physical capabilities to help in the OP situation? You said pull the dog off first and then deal with it. That could work for someone physically capable of that. With a small dog, most people could do it. But for many people, there are dogs too big for them to try that. What other methods can you suggest for someone of less physical stature?

Dallas53 likes this.
  19. Balota

"Kill all loose dogs on sight" is probably overkill. But kill all dogs that have become a known hazard on sight is something I'd agree with.

kfox75, big shrek and Dallas53 like this.