Malfunctioning firearms

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by deathkricket, Oct 26, 2013.

1. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

Was going threw old pictures today and found this (below) Springfield Champion GI. Man this was my first 1911 and I loved it, the look the feel the balance everything about it. To make a long story short I ended up getting rid of it within two weeks of purchase because no matter what I did I could not get the gun to run through 1 mag with some sort of malfunction, Everything from tuning to mag swaps did not fix the host of problems the gun had.
    This also brings to mind my Taurus PT 111. I loved the gun but could not get it to work. So without flames lets hear some firearms you loved to hate.

Springfield Champion GI
    Taurus PT 111

Attached Files:

2. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

My Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II. Out of the 8 months I owned it Kimber repair and UPS had it for 6 of them. It started life not stripping the last round from the magazine. Back to Kimber it went. It came back in a ZipLoc bag dripping oil and still wouldn't strip the last round. In addition to that it failed to eject at least two out of every 8 rounds. Back to Kimber it went. It came back dripping oil into another ZipLoc bag, and it was not shootable. They stripped the grip screw holes on the left side. I fired it once and it pinched the crap out of me. Back to the dealer it went and Kimber authorized a refund check. It was a nice looking gun, but it was my last Kimber ever.

3. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

The only real lemon I have ever had is a 1907 Dreyse. It doesn't help that you can not get magazines or extractors for it.......

I have fooled with this one for years to try to make it work right and have about given up.

4. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

Here is a few parts for it. They have mags on page 2, but they are not cheap. Have you looked for interchangeable parts for your extractor?

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Dreyse-33213/1907-36066.htm

5. stratrider

stratrider New Member

Issued M 16, July 83, jammed a lot
    Issued M203, September 83, jammed a lot
    Several other M16's during my 9 years of service were real pigs. To date, I have an aversion to anything that resembles an M16.

6. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Thanks a whole bunch. I spent over 40 years trying to forget mine. I will say that 16 was more reliable than my one and only Kimber, but not by much.

7. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Winchester 1400 20 ga.

Early 70s I started with a Winchester 1400 20 ga. semi auto shotgun.

Everytime you shot a round,the shotgun would eject a live round out the bottom ??? Sure could make a duck hunter a hater in a hurry with those live rounds plopping down in the water out of the boat?.

After the first trip out that shotgun went back to Wally World and traded for a Remington 1100 20 ga.

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

For me it was an enfield. Didn't matter what I did to it, the damn thing would not eject after firing. I reworked the extractor, polished the chamber, everything I could think of. It didn't matter. Take a shot, knock the casing out with a dowel.
    Glad I only paid $100 for that damn thing.

9. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Savage model 40, single shot .22 hornet. There is a cheap piece of sheet metal that supports the cartridge before chambering that gets bent by trying to chamber a round. I've replaced it several times, and sent it back to savage twice with my $ for postage. It's currently not bent, but I insert the round by hand now, or at least start it into the chamber.

The problem was the chamber was pointed, causing the brass to hang up and scrape against the Sharp edge. It's kind of like shoving the cartridge into the end of a funnel. I read they changed the design shortly after they realized these were crap.

10. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Don't know that I would call it a Lemon, but my G22. (I'm gonna get it now :D)

It never has been more than pie plate accurate at 10yds.
    Early on it had some issues with FTF's and FTE's, but that has seemed to work itself out.

Ohh and the trigger is HORRIBLE!! About 7lbs, and it feels like I'm squeezing it through a sponge.

11. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

A pre '64 Winchester 94 in .30-30. No matter what I did, or what loads i tried, or handloads I tailored, that thing wouldn't keep rounds on a pie plate at 100 yds off a bench and sandbags. Shot my Brother-in-laws Marlin 336 right next to it, and was pissed at how much better it grouped.
    I've been a 336 fan ever since. Though I've had friends with fine shooting Winchester 94s, I can't bring myself to buy another.

My Olympic Arms AR15. It was my first AR and I learned a good chunck of what I klnow about ARs from that thing breaking and failing so often. Always had a tight mag well, so mags never just dropped free. The upper to lower fit was extremly tight, to the point that i had to drive the take down pin out with a mallet and a delrin punch. The bolt broke in under 500 rounds. The hammer pin cracked. Teh gas tube retaining pin walked out and left the gas tube floating and made the rifle a singe shot for a while. The gas key bolts started walking out, causing a gas key leak and more feeding issues. The front sight pins were so tight that it took a torch to heat them up to be able to drive them out once I go around to just scraping and parting the rifle out, and the front sight base turns out to be a cast part instead of a forged one. The barrel was the one redeeming quality, becausee it was always accurate. I still have the barrel, and that is the only original part I still have of that rifle.

12. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

My mom's old Jennings J-22, and my Charter Arms AR-7. Could not get either one to cycle properly for the longest time. I wound up cleaning both, adjusting the magazine lips, and beveling the chamber on both to make them work right. Neither one is a tack driver, but at least both are now reliable. The only reason I keep the J 22 is that it belonged to my mother, and she passe away 10 years ago in July. It is one of the few things I have left to remember her by, that little better than unarmed pistol. The AR 7 is one that my wife has adopted, and the last time I fired it was over 2 years ago. Sure, I fix the FTF and FTE issues, and the only time I have fired it since was when I tested it out at the range.

13. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Kimber has slowly over time gone to cast parts. These casting are big cost cutters but weak links in the chain. Kimber has improved the 40% return rates of ten year ago. Most of the serious shooter have the Kimber sears, disconnectors etc. replaced with milled steel parts.;)