Malfunction question

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by sparky17, Apr 28, 2012.

1. sparky17

sparky17 New Member

Had my SA mil-spec at the range today for the second time. 1st trip fired 100 rounds with no issues. Today an issue came up. During cycling the slide would stop about 1/4 from full battery. Would not do it each time, but when it did it took some work to get it moving again. Used a variety of ammo with the same results. Only change between trips was a new trigger (longer shoe). Saw on another site that too much pressue on the middle spring/disconnecter could cause this. Could a slightly longer bow on the new trigger be the problem? Need to hear from the 1911 gurus out there.

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I have a hard time imagining how the sear spring interferes with the slide.

First thing I would do is replace the recoil spring. The recoil spring has more to do with returning the slide to battery than absorbing recoil. Recoil absorption is managed by the recoil spring and main spring. And to a lesser amount, how the frame rails are mating.

Second thing is to check the ammo. Even factory ammo can be out of spec (and you are using factory for at least the first 500 rounds, no?)

The middle finger of the sear spring does push the disconnector up (and puts a little pressure on the slide), but that won't stop the slide.

The only other thing that could cause such a problem is not enough lubrication and parts not broken in to work together.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Does this only occur during shooting or can you replicate it by manually cycling the slide? If you can manually replicate does it happen with the mag removed?

4. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Try running it wet next time.

5. cuba

cuba New Member

Next time it happens check to see if the extractor is over the case if so then you are experiencing a push feed, I think you might have to profile the extractor hook correctly, file an polish the hook with a funnel shape toward the front bottom edge. I think you can find the correct tunning for the extractor from Wilson Combat web site.

6. sparky17

sparky17 New Member

I am unable to duplicate the problem with the gun empty with or without a mag installed. Removed the slide, still lubricated well. As for ammo, issue happened with Remington and Winchester factory stuff. Could not find any obvious rough spots on the slide or frame or foreign material. The disconnecter does feel a little gritty when I push on it but not enough to stop the slide. As I said the first trip it fired 100 rounds with no issues, second trip the problem started after 15 to 20 rounds. Only changes between are a longer trigger ( Ed Brown ) and new grips. Pretty sure the grips aren't the problem!

7. sparky17

sparky17 New Member

Also looked at the extractor, appears to have the funnel shaped profile.

8. danf_fl

No problem with empty chamber or a round held by the extractor.

Check breech face for burs. Check extractor for dirt (not allowing extractor enough room to work smoothly). Check chamber for gunk.

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Put the original trigger back on and see if the gun runs.

10. sparky17

sparky17 New Member

That was my first thought. Glad to hear I was on the same track as the Great One!

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I don't think its the trigger but.....its the only change you made.

Check for witness marks on the bow everywhere including the sear spring interface.

Does the trigger have an over-travel set screw? If yes, was it set correctly? Did it creep?

Was there any take-up change/difference from the stock trigger to the new one?

12. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

2ndAmendmentFreedom New Member

Don't mean to hijack the thread but what's your take on removing the over travel screw? I've personally loctited mine into place (after properly tightening it to my liking) but some say they remove theirs entirely.

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I've done it both ways, It depends on the trigger and the gun. Some triggers don't need the little bugger and I had one that felt spongy without it.

I'd try it first w/o the screw and if it feels good don't bother.

14. levelcross

levelcross New Member

I agree, I never make any changes until I know the gun runs like it should for the first 500-1K rounds. Then problems are usually because of the changes.

15. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Depends on the gun. The OT screw on my DW PM7-40 backed out and it started doubling. Too much rearward travel can interfere with the disconnector in some instances.

16. danf_fl

On series 80, I remove the overtravel screw on my guns. The series 80 needs the full travel to actuate the firing pin block.

Cane, I'm a little confused on how the trigger could do the malfunction as stated by OP
    "During cycling the slide would stop about 1/4 from full battery"

Can you enlighten me?

17. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I agree, but the engineer in me says, "Worked before the change, doesn't work after the change........undo the change."

18. danf_fl

That is where I thought you were coming from.

It's raining up here and I did not see that part of your post cuz my glasses had water drops on them. (hey, I have to have some excuse, no?)

19. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

2ndAmendmentFreedom New Member

As stated earlier I think it could be a recoil spring problem and/or combined with a magazine feed problem. I think I can replicate his problem (sometimes) by racking the slide and instead of letting it go forward at full speed, holding it while it moves forward and therefore slowing its momentum down enough to prevent it from properly extracting & feeding the round into the chamber. Get yourself a new recoil spring and a hybrid feed lips magazine and see if the problem still occurs, hybrids feed the round much smoother than wadcutters.

20. sparky17

sparky17 New Member

Just to be clear, when the malfuntion occured, the slide would stop and be stuck. It would only move a couple of milimeters. I would have to move it back and forth the little I could to free it up. Once it was in full battery, the round would fire and extraction was normal. Cases looked ok, no damage or strange marks. I did not adjust the over travel screw, no adjustment was needed. Take up was about the same as the factory trigger. Trigger break felt better with the new trigger, but that may be because of the long shoe being more comfortable to me. I don't know if its a break in issue as slide feels smoother now. I will put the factory trigger back in. If the issue still remains, its off to Springfield under warranty.