making the jump to sks.. help on acc?

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by combateffective4, Apr 27, 2013.

1. combateffective4

combateffective4 New Member

so im gonna pick up a sks for $399
    i know things are more pricey then they used to be is that an ok price?
    im not sure what kind it is.

i was thinking ATI strikeforce folder stock and a UTG quad rail
    Are they compatable?

my main question is sight mounts.
    ive heard the dust cover mounts arent really recomended
    what are other ways of mounting sights near the rear of the rifle?
    im not really wanting to drill and tap anything
    am i sol?

2. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

The price is a little high for where I live.
    My favorite accessory is the extended rubber butt pad. Actually its my only accessory.

3. kaido

kaido New Member

That price is about $200.00 high. I'm in Canada and everything here is about $100.00 or so more expensive then it is for you guys down in the states and I only paid $130.00 for mine.

As far as mounting an optic, I think your stuck with the dust cover mount. I've also heard that Tech sights work pretty well too. Haven't tried them though

4. combateffective4

I just can't find a better deal the local shops have them for around 450-500

5. combateffective4

Send me one! I wish. The market is insane right now in the states

That's the cheapest one I've found

Right now

6. kaido

kaido New Member

Well....if you fill out and pay for the shipping, I will gladly send you one. I'd even pay for the rifle. Haha

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

If you want to do all these mods, try to hold out and find one that someone else has already modified a bit. Sometimes they will be cheaper than some that are all original.

8. orangello

orangello New Member

Around here, you can pick up a Chinese type 56 for about $300-350, if you know the right FFL.

I never found a scope mount that was satisfied with, but some people have been happy with the ones you described. It might be good enough for a red dot or something less geared toward long-range accuracy and more for easier target aquisition.

Honestly, i am confused by the folder stock + scope combo. To get much out of a scope, you need a decent cheek weld or ability to hold a steady position somehow; i can't imagine a folding stock being optimal for that.

9. kaido

kaido New Member

I'm mot sure if its because the panic but that's insane. I got a Russian one made in 1953 with all matching numbers for half that.

10. combateffective4

Well these are unissued apparently "like new" idk if that makes it more of value I'm new to 7.62 rifles I normally run ar type rifles

11. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

You guys also get $300 SVT40s while ours are $1000:(

12. combateffective4

I don't understand this ! I didn't realize firearms where so inexpensive in Canada ...

Kaido are there a lot of fire arms owners up there?

13. kaido

kaido New Member

Seems like just the surplus ones are so inexpensive up this way. All the newer fancier ones cost a boat load more up here.

In all honesty, I can't really say how many firearms owners are up here. I only truest got into shooting maybe a year or two ago so I'm still finding out who the shooters in my area are. So far it seems like there's almost as many here are there are down your way, but I also live in a smaller town instead of a city, so it's probably more of a gun friendly area for the time being.

14. orangello

orangello New Member

15. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

I like em too. May get one also when they come out.

16. combateffective4

17. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

By the time you buy an SKS and then get all the accessories to try to turn it into a tactical rifle you could probably buy the RRA or an AK and have a closer jump to where you want to be.

18. orangello

orangello New Member

Truth. I love my SKS, but it is more of a short rifle than a tactical carbine like an AK or AR-type rifle. If you really want tacticool, a WASR-10 AK-type rifle might better suit you. If you want to scope the SKS, maybe a monte-carlo type stock would be better than a folder.

I use the tapco stock with the extendable buttstock for extra length of pull and 922 compliance.

19. Rocky7

Rocky7 New Member

I've seen some reports that Canada has more guns, per capita, than the U.S. but I don't think anybody knows for sure.

When our left-wing bottom feeders enacted a national registry for all long guns, a lot of gun owners went underground....like, a million or more. Then the government couldn't get compliance so they declared an amnesty with a new, extended deadline and then another amnesty with another deadline. That played out over and over and after about 10 years, they declared substantial victory by reducing the number of guns thought to be in the country from over 11M to only 7M........more of that liberal math....

Yeah, it's weird about SKS rifles. We can buy the Chinese variant, which has a chrome lined barrel, and 1,200 rnd case of ammo for $429. The CZ858 is $699. I think you are missing out on some/most of this because your gov't banned Norinco imports.

On the other hand, our feds bought into the gun zombie narrative back in the 1980's and magazines over 5rnds are banned and AK and AR rifles are restricted to the point where it's just too much trouble to bother owning one. The SKS does not have a black stock, so it is still available. I have no explanation for the CZ.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  20. combateffective4

I don't really want to spend the money an AK would cost me but I wanted a different round I have a 5.56 ar build a 300 black out build and 3 extra stripped lowers... I've just never experienced a AK/sks style gun I figure I might enjoy it... But I'm not a fan of the wood style furniture.

its it even worth scoping a sks? What's max distance? Maybe just red dot