Making my own knives looking for a new hobby

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by FaTmAn, May 4, 2011.

1. FaTmAn

FaTmAn New Member

I am looking for a new hobby. I have been thinking about building my own knives and don't know much on how to go about it. Anybody have a good idea on where to start? where i can order and get my equipment? What kind of equipment im going to need? Please feel free to add anything you can think of

2. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

While there are people here who can help...I think you are in the wrong forum.

To start, you have to tell us how much you want to be in it. Do you plan on starting from blacksmithing? Or you will use blanks that are already shaped and just need handles. Do you want to grind your own blades? What handle materials do you intend to use? Fixed blade or folders?

Give us more but honestly, Google is your friend...and of course some books and proper forum. ;)

3. FaTmAn

FaTmAn New Member

I've decided to go with blank's and add handles. Handle's will be a varitey of different material depending on knife. I plan on grinding and honing my own knifes. and i would like to do both fixed and folder blades. I have done some research libary and google just have to find a good place to start and get equipment.

4. FaTmAn

FaTmAn New Member

wow thanks cane

5. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

If you plan on using antler, ivory, horns, micarta, exotic wood, etc. for handles...invest on a good dust collector and maybe a full face shield filter.

Take care of your lungs and be warned that the odor could be very repulsive too. ;)

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

7. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Cane,

He is the guy in San Antonio TX right? That must be a while back. eBay started banning all ivory products (including pre-ban and legal elephant and Mastodon/Mammoth ivory) for 2 years now IIRC.

8. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

One in the same.

Ivory is a little too steep for my pockets.

I go for the mammoth tooth/brain coral fossils.

Attached Files:

10. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

I've used casted/resin impregnated wood, cactus and even snake skin but not coral or mammoth tooth. Do you have any that are 5-10 years old? If so, how is the resin holding up? The older resins tend to "shrink" over time and I am still a bit hesitant using them. They sure look awesome though.

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

These are NOT the composite scales, they're the real thing! 20,000 to 50,000 year old genuine mammoth tooth from Siberia.

I think they will look fine in 5-10 years. :p

12. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

I know these are not composite but aren't they resin impregnated? I thought they have holes/voids that are pressure filled with resin...thus the different colors and to make them more solid and stable to work with.

13. freefall

freefall New Member

You can do a lot of work with a 1x42 belt sander and a dremel tool. A drill press is very handy, and a 9"x12" sheet of heavy glass is nice to contact cement a piece of sandpaper on to make things flat. A good, well fitting dust mask is a MUST. Don't go with the little paper jobs, get a good one. Many exotic hardwoods are toxic if you inhale the dust.

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Yes they are and with the acrylics today will remain in-tact if given its required quota of love. (and lack of sunlight!)

15. FaTmAn

FaTmAn New Member

if you would like to part with those ill put them to good use lmao very nice and very cool

16. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Lots of good sources posted and I sent you a PM.

17. FaTmAn

FaTmAn New Member