Making my own knife.

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by pandamonium, Sep 6, 2010.

1. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

Well, I have wanted to for about forever, so, I found me a THICK piece of steel, drew out the basic shape I like and cut it out with an angle grinder. Here are some pics of the progression so far. Haven't done any grinding yet other than to knock off the sharp edges from the angle grinder. The first pics are from my phone, sorry about the quality.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2010
  2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Looks good. Big too. ;)

3. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Thats going to look good.

4. freefall

freefall New Member

You have a great start going there. What kind of steel is it? Do you know how to heat treat it? If not, go ahead and grid it to the shape you desire, grind the edge and sharpen it. Then throw it away. Order a piece of good steel from Jantz Supply, Texas Knifemakers, or someplace more specialized. Then grind that to shape,don't sharpen it, and heat treat it according to instruction, or if you don't have the equipment (especially if it's stainless) send it to Paul Bos in El Cajon CA (he does the heat treat for Buck) and tell him what kind of steel it is. It will cost you a few $ but you will have a knife you can be proud of beyond your lifetime.

5. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

This is a first attempt, I have no idea what kind of steel it is, not that worried about it at this point. My plan is to proceed through the entire making process including heat treating, if it sucks then it sucks. This is a learning process for me and we shall see how it turns out. I will continue to post pics of the progress.

6. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Man you're cold.

7. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Good for you and I commend you for trying to learn. Hope this is the first of many.

8. freefall

freefall New Member

That's not cold. I've ground a bunch of knives out of 3/16" cold rolled just for practice and thrown them away. Done a bunch out of wood too. It's not easy to get those edge lines right, and it's a shame to screw up a $20 piece of steel. And it's a shame to put all the finish work into a pice of mild steel that will never get hard no matter what you do to it. I was trying to be a nice guy and doing my usual poor job of it.

9. rodent.22

rodent.22 New Member

Excellent advice, if using the knife for actual tasks, but a sticker doesn't really need a hard edge, LOL. I'm taking your advice when I make my next push dagger. Thanks!:)

10. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

An old leaf spring from an old truck is a cheap way to go.

11. orangello

orangello New Member

There was a guy that came to the local county fair when i was a teen who made knives for sale from old used sawmill blades.

12. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

My father in law made several out of old saw mill blades that he picked up here and there. He used deer antler from deer he's hunted. The knives I have are great.

13. freefall

freefall New Member

I've heard that old sawmill blades make an excellent source of steel. Rudy Ruana made his knives out of old GMC truck springs, but leaf springs are very thick and will require forging or MUCH surface grinding.
    By the way, I'm not trying to pose as any kind of expert here, I'm just a plumber who's read a couple of books and made a few knives. Not particularly wonderfully either. If I wasn't such a techno-tard I'd post a couple of pics and show you my feeble efforts, but I can't even attach a pic to an e-mail.

14. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Nice Pandamonium, if anything, it would make a great throwing knife, once finished and balanced. :D

15. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

Well, I took some time today because I could. Spent that time grinding and sanding.
    Pic #1- Fresh off the grinder, pretty much the final outine.
    Pic #2- Fits my hand right nice!
    Pic #3- My belt sander in a vice and the grinder, hey, it's all I had!
    Pic #4- Finished shaping and profiling, I will probably try to heat treat too, just to try. Without knowing what the steel is it'll be a shot in the dark. But it will be worth it just for the experience.
    I plan on doing some wood scales, I will post finished pics at a later date, it might take me a bit though.

Attached Files:

16. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Nice work. Look forward to seeing the progression until it is finished. What type of wood are you going to use for the handles? Are you going to use mosaic pins? Just curious to hear what your plans for it are.

17. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

I have'nt decided on the type of wood to use for the handles, I have in stock; cherry, red oak, quater sawn white oak, walnut, black locust, maple, mahogany(brazilian), I think that's it. The black locust is really hard, I might use that, still undecided though.

As far as pinning, not sure, I was thinking about brass pins and peening them over and the grinding/shaping.

And thanks for the positive feedback guys, I am happy with the progress but it is always good to hear compliments.

18. Hot Sauce NARC

Hot Sauce NARC New Member

nice looking piece there: When i was in highschool i did the same thing, made several prototypes out of mild steel to learn how to get my shapes right, and what tools to use. Now i know how make good steel into what i want.

I personally like old files/rasps there plentiful and cheap. all you have to do is stick them in a campfire over night to take the hardness out of the steel then you shape and polish, then re heat treat. Its easy :rolleyes:

19. freefall

freefall New Member

Heat treat it and see how it comes out before you decided what to use for handle stock. I'd save the black locust for something you know is good. Looking good.

20. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Keep us in the loop. I like it.