Making My Own Knife Part Two

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by pandamonium, Sep 13, 2010.

1. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

Here is my attempt at heat treating and tempering. I used motor oil(used) for quenchant, and charcoal briquetes for fuel.
    A metal oil pan for the furnace, and I picked up some 1/4" black iron pipe and fittings for the blower, oh I drilled hole along the length of the pipe.
    I know the blade has uneven heat in it, I got impatient and didn't let the coals bank down long enough, and I had the air a little low.
    When the blade came out of the quench, it was BLACK!! Well I sanded off all the black so I could put it in the oven to temper (I was at my brothers house, I read that if you quench in motor oil, it'll stink up the house when you put it in the oven). It came out of the oven a nice straw color, as recommended.
    I will be finishing the knife next weekend, I ordered some spacer material and some mosaic pins (thanks Nitrox!), and I have decided to use some of the black locust I have for the scales.
    As promised, when finished, I will take it out and give it a thorough test, I will post the results.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      101.2 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      97.7 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      80.1 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      97.5 KB
      Views:
  2. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

Here is some more.

Attached Files:

• 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      89.4 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      92.2 KB
      Views:
    • 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      92.7 KB
      Views:
    • 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      97.3 KB
      Views:

3. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

And some more.

Attached Files:

• 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      99.8 KB
      Views:
    • 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      93 KB
      Views:
    • 015.jpg
      015.jpg
      File size:
      80.6 KB
      Views:
  4. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

[​IMG]

I've been wanting to try this with spring steel for a while. Love the blower setup, I may have to copy it:D
    Plan on buying (or stealng )a toaster oven to do the tempering outside though. Don't have any family members that'll let me use their oven:rolleyes:
    I'd love to see the locust handle scales. My dad made a few wading staffs from locust saplings and rub finished with linseed oil years ago and I don't know a tougher, harder wood once dried.
    I beat one off a metal door frame repeatedly one time(don't ask:p) and barely dented the wood.
    Hornbeam might be one I'd think about though, It has a really rough, grainy texture(almost like antler) but getting a section for scales without cracks would be a challenge

5. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

Hey Gate, this setup would have worked perfectly if I had been a little more patient. Once I sanded off the black crap from the blade, there was no smell whatsoever when I tempered it.
    I will be posting pics next week of the finish sanding and handle intallation.

6. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

I forgot this pic, after it came out of the oven, looks like straw colored to me.

Attached Files:

• 016.jpg
      016.jpg
      File size:
      87.2 KB
      Views:
  7. doctherock

doctherock New Member

The knife came out looking like red hot magma. sweet.

8. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

Doc, that part that is yellow/white may have actually burned away the carbon in that part of the blade, destroying the steel there, from what I read, it should have been dull to cherry red the whole length. I guess I'll find out later when I try to chop down a tree with it!

9. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I temper with a big bertha torch tip and oxy-acetylene set-up.

10. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

The best way to learn is to try, P-Mo. That is very cool.

11. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

I got the bug and I got it bad!! Next ones are gonna be out of either 1095 hi-carbon or d-2 tool steel. Either way they will be sent out for PROPER heat treat and temper! I can't wait!!! Giggles :D

12. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Too freakin cool.

13. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

Looks awesome, especially for a first attempt.

14. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

Awesome post, Panda. I think you should move on to 1095, but wait a bit until you tackle D2. It's a lot more complicated to work with. 1095 is a simple steel, but it can yield fantastic results when used well.

Maybe you can try some differential heat treatment in future blades. Try to get your hands on Ed Fowler's "Knife Talk" series of videos. They are great, they show how even a well established bladesmith like him still learns and changes his mind when new info becomes available. I think the first one has a part on which he explains his heat treatment. He uses simple tools (a blowtorch and a kitchen oven).