Firearms Talk banner

making my own hybrid holster

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  70cuda383 
#1 ·
anyone else done something like this? I wanted to make a nice thin holster for IWB carry. I bought some kydex, warmed it up to about 300. It was nice and floppy. Pressed it around the pistol quickly and got descent detail in the kydex, nice indendation around the trigger guard. But it's only "half" the gun. I am using leather as the backing to the holster and what I've noticed is that the softer leather doesn't hold as tight to the firearm, and ultimately it has wiggle room and doesn't fit tightly in the holster.

do the hybrid holsters use a full kydex shell that's attached to the leather? what's the trick to getting a nice tight fitting holster?

#2 ·
I have an Old Fashioned holster similar to a CrossTuck. It's a hybrid leather and kydex. The kydex shell is only one side, between the gun and the clothing. Leather is the other side and pulls tightly for retention. The leather needs to be kinda stiff for it to work. There is also a rubber spacer that the mounting screws can compress to tighten the retention some.

#4 ·
If using leather as the back side, then stiff is better.

If you look at Alien gear's site and watch their video of their Cloak Tuck 3.0. You will see that having the backing behind firearm itself as a stiff or rigid section. Is key to the design.

Otherwise you option would rely on tension, but as leather stretches the tension would reduce over time.

#5 ·
Sounds too much like work to me! Picked myself up a "raw dog" kydex with leather backing for 30 bucks or so to replace my all kydex. Much more comfortable. Got it in zombie green. Going to pick up another one for my other carry.

#6 ·
Sounds too much like work to me! Picked myself up a "raw dog" kydex with leather backing for 30 bucks or so to replace my all kydex. Much more comfortable. Got it in zombie green. Going to pick up another one for my other carry.
Really like Raw Dog holsters...wish they would expand their CZ firearm line of holsters though......PO-1 the only CZ product they have.

#7 ·
If using leather as the back side, then stiff is better.

If you look at Alien gear's site and watch their video of their Cloak Tuck 3.0. You will see that having the backing behind firearm itself as a stiff or rigid section. Is key to the design.

Otherwise you option would rely on tension, but as leather stretches the tension would reduce over time.
AG 2.0 was great, but the 3.0 I got for my S&W sure is a more comfortable holster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.