Firearms Talk banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts
I have a 'rust textured' bore rifle that shoots real sweet.

This gun does not copper foul at all. It doesn't do too well with cast or paper patched bullets though, being a two-groove. I cut off that end bit of the barrel after fire-lapping to ensure there was no 'trumpeting' of the bore.

Point is, it takes a lot of corrosion and etching to damage a barrel. Apparently, texturing a bore reduces friction and copper fouling. It does seem to hold lube better.

Attachments

• 7.5 KB Views: 1,134
  • Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
    2.9 KB Views: 908
  • 3.9 KB Views: 899
  • 3.9 KB Views: 883
  • 3.2 KB Views: 919

Attachments

Be careful with the chemicals.

The stuff used to remove brass from lands and grooves may cause old nickel plated firearms to start "flaking".
Some will cause fires if not disposed of correctly.
Some will burn a person's body severely.

These are the first 4 patches that I ran through the bore after using this thing.Needless to say,I was surprised.

Now this isn't a perfect system,and it does take some time to set up and use.I let the sytem work for 30-45 minutes when I have tried it,and it seems to work alright,and it does take most of the copper,and all of the powder fouling out of the barrel.
Here is something else you might give a try when your are on the range. Get a one quart spray bottle from w-mart or the like. Put in 4 cups of plain household ammonia, 1 cup of Dawn dish soap. Cap it and mix it around good. After your done at the range while the barrel is warm, spray this into the bore. The ammonia acts as a neutralizer on the acids of the powder and a lifter. The dawn is very good at getting under what the ammonia loosened and begins to break it up as well a keep the barrel lubed against drying out. Run a brush through once or twice, then spray it again. let it set till you get home then give it a good going through. You should see less and less fouling build up. Good shooting!

I too, have used a home made cleaner as described with a slight variation. I used an old ac/dc charger from a cell phone or other gadet. It works great for me.

AS well, just saw great reviews on a "new" product called GUNZILLA which claims to be better than any other product on the market. They have a sister product called copperzilla for copper fouling. An internet search will turn up their URL. I certainly would love to hear from folks who have tried it.

I'm just having a mild brainstorm - how about using the system in reverse to apply a coating to the bore? I'm not thinking chrome or the like, just a lubricating type coating like perhaps tin? Maybe something better?

303Guy said:
I'm just having a mild brainstorm - how about using the system in reverse to apply a coating to the bore? I'm not thinking chrome or the like, just a lubricating type coating like perhaps tin? Maybe something better?
Find a lubricating compound that you can apply through electrolysis (maybe there already is one?) And you may be onto something.

Yes it works, perhaps it works too good. Be very carefull in using this device, you can damage your bore if you leave it hooked up too long. Leaving this device hooked up too long will lead to bore damage, pitting and bore metal being electroliticly etched . One thing I would question is, just how long is too long before you start eating into the bore? I just buy a can of WipeOut and forgetaboutit. Wipe out works, period. It is slow but it works and it works safely on your rifle. You can leave it in forever and it will not harm your bore, and it also leaves a rust preventative coating inside your bore after cleaning.
May i ask what kind of wipe out you mean like oven cleaner?i sure do not want to ruin a barrel but have a tokarev rifle needs a cleaning heavily like that.

That was a slick job on your cleaner. I have used a homemade one as well using old cleaning rods, and a discarded DC transformer, but it was not nearly as neat as that one. Congrats, good job.

Reactions: Steelangel
TEX

Pretty fantastic set up!:)
That as the more mature individuals here would say: SIMPLY COOL!;)

At the Metro PD for our SWAT Sniper Rifles we always periodically used Sweets 7.62 Solvent to recondition the Barrel. It has a high Ammonia concentrate of 5%. Great stuff and works excellently. You run patches with it on them down the bore wet with the Sweets and let it set for about 5-10 minutes. (No More at one time!) Then run patches and repeat until the Barrel is clean. When the Barrel is clean be sure and patch it out until the patch is dry. The reason one must be sure it is completely removed is, if you mix it with other cleaning solvents it can etch the barrel. :eek:

Reactions: towboater
21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.