Firearms Talk banner

Making an Electric Bore Cleaning Kit

62K views 38 replies 25 participants last post by  Txhillbilly 
#1 ·
As most have read lately,I have a bad Copper fouling problem with my new Savage 110FLCP 25/06 that I had the Savage Custom Shop build for me.

I'm the kind of guy that understands that nothing made by man is ever perfect,and it usually doesn't do any good to ***** and moan about a company turning out a product with a flaw.I just try to do what I can to fix the problem,and maybe learn something in the process.

I'm in no way mad at Savage Firearms,but they do need to check out the condition of the machining tools that are used in the manufacturing process from time to time,and these types of problems will be limited.
I have notified them about this problem,and could have returned the rifle,but then what would I be learning about how to fix the problem.

I have several different types of liquid,and foam bore cleaners that are for Copper Fouling.They do work good,but on this rifle it was taking atleast 3 days to get the copper out of the barrel,after soaking-brushing-patching.Also alot of Cussing!!!

These are patches after soaking the barrel with some liquid cleaners-

A member on another forum sent me a link for a homemade electric bore cleaner,so I said what the hell,I'll try it out!
It's a simple kit,and doesn't cost much to make.
I bought a Rayovac Industrial continuity testing flashlight for a power source-$5.00,along with some batteries.A Stainless Steel or Carbon Steel rod,I bought a 1/8" and a 3/16" rod for cleaning different size bores.You will also need some O-rings,and Rubber Stoppers that will fit your bore.
You also need an Industrial strength Ammonia solution,your local janitorial supply is a good place to find this stuff.Most of the Ammonia products found at grocery/hardware stores isn't strong enough.

See less See more
#2 ·
You will also need some type of small funnel or syringe to put the cleaning solution into the barrel once you install the rod.I used part of a brake bleeding kit that I have in my toolbox.

Once you have plugged the chamber end of the barrel,install the rod into the bore with an O-ring on the bottom end of the rod.Then fill the barrel with the cleaning solution-I mixed mine 1 part water/1 part ammonia.
Then place another O-ring at the top of the rod and push it into the barrel,so that the rod doesn't touch the barrel.
Since my gun has a bull barrel and no sights,I just used a clamp and a piece of stripped wire to place the positive lead to.The negative just gets hooked to the rod in the bore;

If everything is good,when the Flashlight is turned on,the bulb will just faintly glow.If the rod is touching the barrel anywhere,the bulb will be bright.

After a few seconds,you will see the solution in the barrel start to foam,the longer it's on,the more it foams up.I wrapped a rag around the top of the barrel to keep the solution from running down the outside of the barrel.

#4 ·
These are the first 4 patches that I ran through the bore after using this thing.Needless to say,I was surprised.

Now this isn't a perfect system,and it does take some time to set up and use.I let the sytem work for 30-45 minutes when I have tried it,and it seems to work alright,and it does take most of the copper,and all of the powder fouling out of the barrel.

#6 ·
Your a genious!! Great job

That is the neatest thing I have ever seen. Where were you before I bought my electronic bore cleaner? LOL!!
Copper fouling is more of a problem that folks think. Aot will replace their scope when all they need is to clear the copper from the barrel. Usually found in the last 6 inches of the barrel to the muzzle (most important area. IMO)
I had a 270 in Rem mod. 700. 2 boxes were the max I could shoot before I had to clean the copper out of it, the bullets printed all over the target. Bore clean it and next range trip found all rounds in a 1 to 1.5 inch group at 100 yrds.

Again Great job on design, simple and affordable.

Reactions: towboater
#10 · (Edited)
electric bore cleaning

Yes it works, perhaps it works too good. Be very carefull in using this device, you can damage your bore if you leave it hooked up too long. Leaving this device hooked up too long will lead to bore damage, pitting and bore metal being electroliticly etched . One thing I would question is, just how long is too long before you start eating into the bore? I just buy a can of WipeOut and forgetaboutit. Wipe out works, period. It is slow but it works and it works safely on your rifle. You can leave it in forever and it will not harm your bore, and it also leaves a rust preventative coating inside your bore after cleaning.

#11 ·
Yes it works, perhaps it works too good. Be very carefull in using this device, you can damage your bore if you leave it hooked up too long. Leaving this device hooked up too long will lead to bore damage, pitting and bore metal being electroliticly etched . One thing I would question is, just how long is too long before you start eating into the bore?
Eaglenester,
I'm sure if someone was stupid enough and left the Electric Bore Cleaner hooked up all day to a rifle,then they would get some type of bore damage from it.
I have used this type of set up on many guns,and it works great.But I have never used it longer than 30-45 minutes on any gun.That amount of time was in the instructions that I read in the "How to Make an Electric Bore Cleaner".

If you don't like/trust doing this to your guns,Fine.That's your choice!

I had a big Copper fouling problem with this rifle,and was tired of having to clean and scrub the bore for several days,using conventional ways.
This set up worked great,in 45 minutes,all the copper was gone from the bore.

#13 ·
I don't know why you don't just send it back to Savage.
Using all of those copper cleaners has ruined your barrel, the amonia will haze and pit the barrel. It will never shoot it's best, it may still shoot good, but will not be a one holer.
There was obviously a problem with the barrel and Savage has excellent customer service, return it, have them put a new barrel on it so you can have fun shooting and not spend so much time cleaning the barrel.

Either that or buy a premium barrel and replace it yourself or have a smith do it.

My Best, John K

#14 ·
I don't know why you don't just send it back to Savage.
Using all of those copper cleaners has ruined your barrel, the amonia will haze and pit the barrel. It will never shoot it's best, it may still shoot good, but will not be a one holer.
There was obviously a problem with the barrel and Savage has excellent customer service, return it, have them put a new barrel on it so you can have fun shooting and not spend so much time cleaning the barrel.

Either that or buy a premium barrel and replace it yourself or have a smith do it.

My Best, John K
Sorry to disappoint you John,but I do know a little bit about how to tinker with a gun.And unless you leave a high amonia cleaner in a gun barrel for an extended amount of time,it's not going to hurt a barrel.
Oh,by the way,I think it shoots just dandy now-

#15 · (Edited)
DIY: how to make your cleaner.

http://surplusrifle.com/reviews/copperout/index.asp

http://surplusrifle.com/reviews/edred/index.asp

I dident make mine permanant, I could use a common 2 D-cell flashlight, the wire was speaker wire, the ends stripped and wrapped where needed, in end I made my own cleaner and had a nasty Blackish/Brown foam froth from the bore, I dont recomend running this for very long, the 2 D-cell works extremely fast.
All in all I dident run it more than 40 minuets tops for any one gun.
I had cleaned my arms before and had run wet patches and dry patches till nothing showd on the patch, still one could see the copper fouling at the muzzle, knowing I had a supposedly squeeky clean bore before and when the cleaner was running was amazeing wat drooled out, I stroungley suggest removing the stock before hand and do it over a dish pan or 5 gallon bucket as its very messy.
I did it to a Savage 110, a Mosin P-27 and a Carcano and was very amazed.

Collecting and Shooting the Surplus Rifle - Love My Guns Electronic Gun Cleaner Report

#16 ·
Making the Surplus: Homade Electronic Bore Cleaner

http://surplusrifle.com/reviews/edred/index.asp

I dident make mine permanant, I could use a common 2 D-cell flashlight, the wire was speaker wire, the ends stripped and wrapped where needed, in end I made my own cleaner and had a nasty Blackish/Brown foam froth from the bore, I dont recomend running this for very long, the 2 D-cell works extremely fast.
All in all I dident run it more than 40 minuets tops for any one gun.
I had cleaned my arms before and had run wet patches and dry patches till nothing showd on the patch, still one could see the copper fouling at the muzzle, knowing I had a supposedly squeeky clean bore before and when the cleaner was running was amazeing wat drooled out, I stroungley suggest removing the stock before hand and do it over a dish pan or 5 gallon bucket as its very messy.
I did it to a Savage 110, a Mosin P-27 and a Carcano and was very amazed.
i'm new to electric bore cleaning kits, but your articles helped a lot.

#19 ·
You-Tube DIY electro bore cleaners

Electro bore cleaning

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ive built my own using a d-cell flashlight and 2 pieces of wire and a steel rod and electric tape and a rubber stopper. some ammonia base windex and some white vinegar mix. 3/1 ratio

the idea is to remove bullet jacket fouling from the barrel by electro plating process to remove the layer of crudd out your barrel

what they dont tell you is you could swear your barrel is spotless and the patches come out squeeky cleen but 15 minuets with one these babies you see a foul looking Brownish/Blackish froth of evil nasty stuff roiling up out your barrel.

http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum...TID=13074&PN=1

heres a couple diffrent ways of doing this thanks to You-Tube

Iraqveteran8888: "Introduction to basic electronic bore cleaning" Homemade Electric Bore Cleaner - YouTube
“Electronic Bore Cleaning Take 2″ | Electronic Lovers rifle being done.

#20 ·
As environmentally friendly cleaning techniques continue to gain popularity, more people are looking for safe and eco-friendly alternatives that offer exceptional cleaning results without harming the environment. The increasing demand for eco-friendly cleaning machines and green cleaning chemicals have found use in various applications and industries,

#21 · (Edited)
I have a 'rust textured' bore rifle that shoots real sweet.

This gun does not copper foul at all. It doesn't do too well with cast or paper patched bullets though, being a two-groove. I cut off that end bit of the barrel after fire-lapping to ensure there was no 'trumpeting' of the bore.

Point is, it takes a lot of corrosion and etching to damage a barrel. Apparently, texturing a bore reduces friction and copper fouling. It does seem to hold lube better.

#23 ·

Attachments

• 7.5 KB Views: 1,134
  • Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
    2.9 KB Views: 908
  • 3.9 KB Views: 899
  • 3.9 KB Views: 883
  • 3.2 KB Views: 919
#24 ·

Attachments

#26 ·
Be careful with the chemicals.

The stuff used to remove brass from lands and grooves may cause old nickel plated firearms to start "flaking".
Some will cause fires if not disposed of correctly.
Some will burn a person's body severely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.