Making a mess at the range

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by duelist1954, Apr 5, 2013.

1. duelist1954

duelist1954 New Member

These are just a few out-takes from a range session the other day. I make a mess shooting a watermelon and cans of shaving cream with a .44 Magnum Taylors 1892 Alaskan rifle, and with a .357 Magnum Ruger Security Six revolver and a .30 Tokarev CZ52 pistol.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8-E1vUbWEY[/ame]

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

That looks like great fun. I want to buy a 12 pack of cheap pop and shoot each can. I have shot a watermelon. It was very fun.

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Just make sure you clean up before you leave.

4. levelcross

levelcross New Member

I would be so in the dog house if I shot a watermelon the wife might just never speak to me again. Now for old soft drink cans, milk jugs filled with colored water, water balloons they are all fair game. I like to shoot these with new shooters so they can see some of the power that a bullet has. The clean up is the down side.

5. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Waiting for watermelon season. :)

6. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Why?..........

7. levelcross

levelcross New Member

For her Birthday she gets a water melon with candles in it instead of a Birthday cake. We have to plant water melons every year as she loves them and at $6-10 each it gets into my ammo money.:rolleyes:

8. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I'm partial to pumpkins. I never met a pumpkin I didn't want to blast. The advantage of shooting fruits and vegetables over soda cans is that they are biodegradable.

9. paperplatetargets

paperplatetargets New Member

My range would get angry with me I think :)

10. johnr1943

johnr1943 New Member

Even more fun when watermellons were 50 cents. :D

11. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you tell jokes too?

Attached Files:

12. langenc

langenc New Member

What would you think if a group brought a couple wheelbarrows of shot/busted up pumpkins and dumped em in your yard??

Remember they are biodegradable.

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

While I see where that can be annoying for some range owners, a range isn't usually set up for aesthetics like a front yard is.

And just as with a front yard, it's best to ask permission. Some people wouldn't mind a bit. Busted watermelon would draw varmints that could dress a dinner table nicely.

Me? I don't like fruit flies. Keep it outta the yard. Take it to the pasture. After shooting a couple coons and possum off the scrap, the horses will take care of the rest.

14. duelist1954

duelist1954 New Member

Though you don't see it in the video, I go to the range with a contractor-sized trash bag, and all the reactive targets I use for videos... plastic water bottle, shaving cream cans, melons, et al, get picked up and taken to the dumpster in that bag.

Usually I spend the first half hour at the range picking up crap that other shooters leave behind.

15. langenc

langenc New Member

Range I was thinking of was on state land. The pumpkins you brought and let were probably added to TVs, computers, LP tanks, lumber. water/beverage containers and lots of mty plastic (non degradable in our life times) shotshell cases.

So I guess a few pumpkins wouldnt make any bigger mess than the previous slobs left.

PS: the DNR agrees cause now the 'range' is closed. Entrances blocked with 2-3' boulders. Slobs won.