Making a Cast Bullet Company?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Trez, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

A friend and I were thinking of making a small Cast bullet business. Ive noticed that any of the shops that sell cast lead bullets dont really have much of a selection like the jacketed ones, If they sell cast bullets at all. My friend has tons of casting supplys, he has about 100 different molds, some of which are around 100 years old, for both muzzleloaders and cartridge rounds, a few lube-a-sizers, plus enough lead to get stared.. Were thinking of casting a few of each today, to make a couple of boards to show all the various bullet designs.

Do you think there could be a market for this? Anything I want to be careful of? Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

2. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Aside from the obvious health issues of casting lead, which you will need to check out, (EPA may be up your tailpipe), you may want to go after the niche castings to begin with.
    There's discontinued ammo that self loaders would love to have, so that they could go back and shoot their .303 and other calibers.
    You go in against the typical ammunition types, that are mass produced, you're going to have to have cheaper prices, as well as build a reputation.
    Let's be honest. Most reloaders are anal as hell, and for good reason. They want the most bang for the least money they can get.
    If you're one of, if not the only, place to get their ammunition? Then you increase your business base. (Of course, then the shell casings come into play, which is a whole other business.)

3. KABAR2

KABAR2 New Member

Sounds like you have enough equipment, most business are made or are broke after the first three years......I don't want to discourage you from this, just open your eyes to some things you may not of thought of..... & remember the Government - Federal , State & local are not friends of business... they created more impediments for a new business than should be allowed.....

So ask yourself the following questions:

Incorporating? DBA? LLC?

Do we have enough money to make this work?
    most businesses are short sighted as far as capital.

you will need to become known which means an advertising budget...

Are you renting a building? or doing this out of the house? are there any laws that will stop you from doing out of your house?

what business licenses are required by State & local for said business?

What requirements will the EPA have on a filter system in the lead casting area,
    what else will they require?

Hazardous material storage requirements?

Are you using gas or electric to melt your lead? Cost?

Have you researched companies to purchase your lead etc. form? how much per pound? and breaks on large quanities? by the ton? pick up or ship? cost?

I could think of more but this should be enough to chew on if you already have the answers to these than you are well on your way to starting a business. one last thing.... partnerships can work if both parties are well vested in it and have mutual trust, beware of third parties partners.... for some reason when there are three involved in running a business it ends badly, as usually one of them absconds with the money and leave the other partner's holding the bag....

Wishing you good luck and God Bless,

Allen <><

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

You need a type 6 FFL to make reloading components for sale- and need to pay Federal Excise tax on those.

5. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Looks like even just to sell components you have to do everything as if you were actually to manufacture ammo... The 06 FFl isnt a big deal, but I have to register with ITAR and still have insurance.. The part I dont get is: It seems I dont need any of that if im casting bullets for blackpowders or antique guns? According to what ive read I dont have to pay an excise tax.

Heres the best info I could find, its off another forum: Selling cast bullets ? - Cast Boolits