Firearms Talk banner

Makarov for concealed carry

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  NC1760 
#1 ·
Does anyone use a Makarov for concealed carry. They seem nice and I heard they're only around $300, but I was worried that it might be harder to find ammo for them since they use 9x18mm instead of the standard 9x19mm round. Also I don't know how common they'd be in your standard everyday gunshop.

#3 ·
I have a Polish P 64 pistol chambered in 9x18 Makarov and it os small enough to CC with though being all steel it is heavier than others.

You can find 9x18 Makarov rounds at most well stocks gun stores or online, you probably won't find any at Wal-Marts etc. I usual get 500 rounds online for just under $100.

Also I've found that the 9x18 Makarov has much more felt recoil than a 9mm Luger round. I picked up a CZ 75B two weeks ago, great gun fits my hand better than any other handgun I've ever fired and it's very accurate at the range.The CZ is on the large size to CC though.

#4 ·
I have a Makarov, a CZ82 and a CZ75. Most of the time I carry the CZ82. Once in a while the CZ75.
I feel better equipped with the CZ75, so I'm gonna start carrying it more.
I also order my ammo online.

#5 ·
I own a CZ82 and carry it a lot. Well built, reliable gun. Holds plenty of ammo and the Makarov, in my opinion, is plenty strong for carry ammo. The CZ82 was the standard issue duty weapon for the Czeck Army and worked just fine for them.

As pointed out above, you won't find Makarov ammo in Walmart but I have never had trouble ordering it from Sportsman's Guide, Cabela's, Midway, Cheaper Than Dirt or Gander Mountain. Most actual gun stores, not department stores that happen to sell guns, will carry Makarov.

#8 ·
According to what I find, normally between a 380 auto and the 9MM Luger...
http://waterguy.us/handgun.htm & http://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/ballistics-chart.asp
IMHO very accectable for personal defense purposes. Keep in mind that in a normal urban combat situation you will probably be shooting no further than 25 feet away from you. Plus the weapons that use these cartridges are smaller for easier conceal and a better tactical avantage for the average size shooter. Again... just my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.