makarov 9x18 for conceal

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by sbitter, May 4, 2012.

1. sbitter

sbitter New Member

Thinking about buying a makarov which shoots a 9x18 round I'm really tempted but before I do it I just wanted some input from everyone on how concealable it is, how reliable, just basically general opinions on everything. Any feed back is great negative or positive

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

My only hesitation is that the guns it is chambered in are pretty poor self defense firearms. Bad ergonomics stiff triggers and dont lend themselves well safety wise to ccw.

They are designed to be carried empty chamber in a flap holster enclosing the entire gun.

The only exception i can think of is maybe a cz83. The makarov itself wouldnt be a choice for me

Just my opinion

3. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I had the exact same thought not two weeks ago.

As for the round, hornady makes some SD 9x18, but as Jon said, im not sure about the gun itself.

4. sbitter

sbitter New Member

Yea do u guys know of a good 9mm then for concealing that is about that size? And I'm not a fan of revolvers because I prefer a few more rounds

5. marc29th

marc29th New Member

For a 9mm look at a Ruger LC9 or S&W Shield.

6. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Had a Russian Mak for several yrs --100% reliable, very concellable ;)
    FWIW i cud double tap with it better than any gun over a 22 caliber that i've ever shot :cool:

7. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I personally like the Glock 19 for carry, but the 26 is smaller, so that may be a better option for you. I would recommend the Glock all day.

And no, I'm not a Glock 'fanboy', I don't buy into the 'perfection', as one member put it, it's more like 'Glock awesomeness':D

8. Werminator

Werminator Member

Or Kahr cw9 or pm9 or KelTec pf9 or p11... Springfield has a smaller 1911 in 9mm... I like the sr9c from ruger... lots of options on small 9s... you should find a local gun shop or something like a cabalas where you can look over and hold a variety of them...

9. 01hugo

01hugo New Member

Get the mak. Great little guns. I want one too.

BANG

10. marc29th

marc29th New Member

I just picked up a Polish P64 pistol in 9x18 Makarov on Monday. I'll be shooting it for the first time tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

11. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have a Kahr CM9. Great gun. Accurate, dependable, lightweight and very small. I carry mine in a leather pocket holster in my front pocket.

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      16.5 KB
      Views:
  12. 01hugo

01hugo New Member

I like those too

BANG

13. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

today I looked at a Bersa 9mm Thunder, Ruger Lc9 and a Sig p290 for my wife. They're all nice little 9mm for conceal carry for under $500. Ive never owned a Bersa, but I'm actually considering one for myself.

14. 4sig

4sig New Member

Find a Gander Mountain. Never seen a place where you could look at so many different guns at one time

15. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

I've got a Bersa 9mm Thunder, I haven't had any problems with it. It's big enough to shoot for fun but easy to conceal. I've shot several mags of SD through it but shoot mainly FMJ as I left most of my spare cash with my ex wife. I've got both the 380 and 9 they are about the same size overall with the 9 being thicker and heavier.

16. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Ive looked at the .380 also. But with the price of .380 ammo, I more than likely wont be buying one any time soon. Ive been snatching up boxes of Federal 9mm FMJ 100rd boxes for $18 at Wally world.

17. sbitter

sbitter New Member

I looked around and I kinda like the bersa in 9mm and from what I have read it is reliable and solid does everyone agree with that? And do bersas have external safetys? Because I'm not the biggest fan of just the trigger safety.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  18. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Been carrying my Kahr PM 9 for 5 years now. FLawless CCW choice in either the CM or PM line.

Tack

19. pumpedTSI

pumpedTSI New Member

The Mak is 1000% reliable....I've put thousands of rounds thru mine.....VERY concealable, VERY affordable and can be field stripped in less than 10 seconds.....its also very accurate....use a copper jacket hollow point and it'll do what you need...

20. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

The CZ82 is a great gun. Best bang for your buck nowadays. Many people carry it. Plenty of stopping power.