MAK 90 Muzzle Brake

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by Nate2003, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Nate2003

Nate2003 New Member

Hi guys new to the forum,

I came into possession of a Norinco MAK 90 recently and was hoping to be able to install a muzzle brake on to it. After examining my gun and reading up on the MAK 90 seems that many of them came with a muzzle nut screwed over the threads and possibly tack welded on. I was wondering if others have experienced this with their rifles and how everything worked out.

From my understanding they should be 14x1 LH threads hopefully under this muzzle nut.
    Was going to try my hands at a AK74 style muzzle brake. Anyone have experience using the various muzzle brakes on a similar rifle?

Thanks much for any words of advice

2. Ram Rod

Ram Rod New Member

I would suggest you don't try to do this yourself. My suggestion would be to contact these folks (formerly Global Trades Corp) armoryusainfo@globaltrades.com
    through this website: http://www.globaltrades.com/
    I think they should be able to help. Last I knew, they were in Texas......several years ago, I shipped my SLR-95 to them to install the snake muzzle brake on mine.

3. Nate2003

Nate2003 New Member

here's a picture I just took so that hopefully someone can identify if this isn't a muzzle nut on the end and just the barrel..
    [​IMG]

Notice the machine marks on the tip and beyond front sight which covers the entire barrel.

4. Nate2003

Nate2003 New Member

Anyone able to identify what I'm dealing with?

5. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

That's damn sure not 14 tpi and I don't see any signs of any sort of thread protector being on there. That's some pretty rough machining on that thing though.

Gimme' a down muzzle shot and if you can, an oblique muzzle shot.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  6. Nate2003

Nate2003 New Member

I will try to get one in the by tomorrow hopefully. I'm starting to think it's not threaded or has a muzzle nut past the front sight being shown. Seems that most with MAK90s are having to use pin on muzzle brakes or screw set adapters.. I may try the pin on.. I've heard to many bad things of the screw set adapters coming loose after some shooting.
    I know there is always the option of having threads put on but.. meh I don't wanna go to that much trouble or modifying of the actual gun.

7. ranger_sxt

ranger_sxt New Member

It seems to me that you have a MAK90 that has had the threads turned down...

8. matt g

That's what it looks like. You can see where it was turned down. I was asking for the other 2 shots, just to be sure though.

9. KellyTTE

KellyTTE New Member

Mine is like that (turned down). It should measure .499 OD. You can thread it for 1/2-28 and use reamed AR muzzle devices if you like.

10. Nate2003

Nate2003 New Member

here ya are one

[​IMG]

11. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

why does it look threaded BEHIND the front sight? I don't know much about chinese AK's, but I know my yugo isn't threaded behind the front sight...
    :confused:

12. Nate2003

Nate2003 New Member

I think it's more common with the Norinco guns.. most just refer to them as machine markings rather the threads that could be used for anything.

13. Nate2003

Nate2003 New Member

maybe I just just try one of those pin on muzzle break types...
    here's a pic of one I'm thinking off
    [​IMG]

14. matt g

It's just really rough machining. When the barrel was turned on a lathe, they had the tool feed speed set high. With it traveling that fast, you could probably turn out 3 barrels in the time you could turn out one that was machined smooth.

15. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

interesting... makes sense that the chinese would want to knock them out fast. But, i always heard that the chinese models were pretty well-built. At least better than the romies... These ways of cutting corners doesn't really support the quality claims, though.

And why do you want a muzzle brake? You gun is long enough to be legal as is, right?!? I heard that many of the AK brakes don't do much.

16. Nate2003

Nate2003 New Member

I have little experience with the modifying of guns, just after this most recent rifle got me into it. It may not do that much improvement but I'm willing to accept whatever amount it would do.

not sure how well you can go by a video comparing brakes but here is one

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc1hUl7oZ4s[/ame]

17. matt g

Really that area and it's machining quality has nothing to do with how well it'll function, it's just a fit and finish issue.

Under rapid fire or automatic fire, a muzzle break is essential on an AK. The muzzle on them climbs really bad. During full auto fire, you can lean into the rifle really hard and do all you can to pull the muzzle down, but it still climbs uncontrollably. It has to do with the design of the gas system, bolt and stock configuration.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  18. canebrake

canebrake New Member

That's because a lot of flash hiders are sold as brakes. There's a big difference!

19. Nate2003

Nate2003 New Member

uggg I just tried fitting a 75 round drum to my MAK90 and it doesn't fit/lock into place right.. goes in fine on my fathers MAK90.. and mine will take the 30 round clips all day long with ease.. :confused:

a side note I just checked and the drum is made by none other then Norinco themselves.. what gives /facepalm

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  20. sanetime

sanetime New Member

Did you resolve?

nate-

Did you get an answer? I have the same Mak90. I took a punch and backed out the two pins but the forward site won't budge.

Please let me know any suggestions or progress you might have made. Thansk!