major malfunction

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by jjones45, Jul 22, 2013.

1. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

Once a handgun has a major malfunction do you loose confidence in that weapon? I have with at least 4 guns in my lifetime. I get them fixed then trade em in. I know all things fail but im just talking from a mental standpoint. Its always in the back of your mind

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

What's your definition of a major malfunction?

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

I consider a major malfunction to be broken and flying parts that are an obvious flaw in design or workmanship. Rarely hear of this with modern guns.

4. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Like trip, I consider a major malfunction to be a blown up gun, or flying parts/shrapnel. Normal parts breakage? Just replace the part, good as new.

5. texaswoodworker

Major malfunctions/catastrophic failures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Donn

Donn Active Member

Depends. If it's a gun used for recreational purposes I'll give it some leeway. Carry guns are on a much shorter leash. Example. Had a timing trouble on a S&W Bodyguard .38spl. Sent it back to the factory for repair, was no better when I got it back. Let it go soon after.

7. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I'm a little bit different on my idea of a major malfunction. To me a major malfunction would be a firearm that refuses to function properly on multiple occasions. Something like a pistol that won't work reliably in spite of multiple magazine changes, several different types of ammo, a half dozen different shooters, and at least one unsuccessful trip back to the factory for repair/adjustment.

As long as it stays fun to shoot, I'll still keep a firearm that delivers less than 100%, but I refuse to carry it. If it's more PITA than fun it gets traded.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

depends on what is going wrong. sometimes its just faulty ammo such as me screwing up setting the dies correctly. or in the case of my AR15's and scar17 fail to feed using a brass catcher isnt a flaw of the gun itself but an external device that i wouldnt normally use outside of a target shooting situation preventing proper ejection.

just depends on what the fail is and the cause.

i have a couple of 1911 i would NEVER carry for SD as they have occasional fail to feed with certain ammo. i would never carry my bersa thunder plus due to the design flaw of having a magazine safety i cant disable. great fun at the range but not for carry. my bersa thunder also has a safety but its removable and the parts have long since hit the landfill and i trust it on a carry basis.

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I look forward to having malfunctions!

It gives me a chance to learn more about the firearm in my attempt to fix it, and more range time to confirm that it has been fixed.

But as others have stated, I do not carry what I would consider questionable.

10. orangello

orangello New Member

I couldn't let this pass without posting "NUMBNUTS!".

11. LandMonster

LandMonster New Member

Haha... No.

12. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

I consider a major malfunction a gun that will not operate anymore. For instance I had one of the original d's when they were fairly new that seized up and I couldn't get the slide to move. Turns out the recoil assembly broke inside the gun. Same thing happened with a gi champion I had. Off they went

13. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

Original xd 40. Sorry for typo

14. LandMonster

LandMonster New Member

It doesn't look like you have to worry about cleaning these when you get home, and no way are you going to have worry about them functioning again either.

My very trusty Sig Saur 1911 recently went down with a broken extractor after about 2500 rounds. This gun has run as reliably as one could ask for going on 7 years. It's at Sig getting fixed now, but for sure the failure planted that seed in my brain. I know the feeling you are getting after. I am currently shopping for a backup pistol.

Now, don't mistake that for unreliability. The gun had some use and as it was said to me, $hit breaks after a while. But when it was in good order it was reliable. I would never keep a gun that had multiple failures to cycle. I don't care if the gunsmith can make it shoot 100 mags with no failures. If you can't, get rid of it.

15. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

OUCH! These appear to be problems with to hot of ammo, but regardless, I think they are all pretty much 'junk' now!!!:eek:
    But to answer the question. I have had a few guns which did not function properly and If I could not fix them (usually inaccuracy) I would get rid of them. Most I have been able to diagnose and correct and continue to use! ;)

16. fmj

fmj Active Member

As stated above, all that looks like double powder dumps. NOT the fault of the gun. The Glob at the bottom looked like it really coulda HURT!

I have only had one gun and that was that junk *** Taurus PT-145 I was called a liar on another thread for talking about...its LONG since history.

17. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

If it doesn't work right I'll try to fix it and if I still can't get 100% out of it I"ll sell it. Except with rim fires. I'll give them a little leeway. But usually the malfunctions I get there are pilot error or my lack of cleaning them.

18. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

A major malfunction should not be defined by what went wrong, but by what the threat level was when whatever it was went wrong.

19. texaswoodworker

The top three definitely look like double charges, the "GLOB" (lol) could have been something else. I'm not sure what caused that, but I would sure hate to be that guy.

The point I was making with those is that I won't consider a gun to have gone through a major malfunction unless it is pretty much destroyed, or at least requires a lot of work to fix. Broken parts are not that big a deal. In most cases, you can just drop in a new one and have it going again pretty quickly.

20. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

I think of malfunctions as fte, ftf, stuff like that. That gun is still in the fight. A major malfunction makes that gun useless and out of the fight. Those kabooms are totally different. Most likely ammo caused those and probably reloads at that. We all have our views of class of malfunctions. I don't trust a gun anymore that totally seized up and was useless. Although when Springfield sent my xd and champion back they both had heavy duty recoil guide rod assemblies compared to what the original was. Made me wonder why this wasn't in there in the first place. Both shot flawless after that but I sent them on their way anyways.