Major Crime Statistics Continues To Drop!

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Sniper03, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

More Proof! That as more people have the ability to defend themselves crime drops.

FBI RELEASES LATEST STATISTICS . . . The FBI's release of preliminary Uniform Crime Statistics for the first half of 2013 demonstrates the continuing 30-year downward trend in violent crime is not over, even as firearms production and sales set records. In fact, the crime reductions correspond with a steady increase in the legal demand for firearms as law-abiding American people have sought to exercise their Second Amendment rights and enjoy recreational shooting. The latest from the FBI. :)

2. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

That makes Indianapolis look bad. No reduction in the murder rate since 2000, and a definite spike last year compared to 5-6 years prior, and (read slowly) topping Chicago for the first time. Granted not all violent crime is murder, we are still "top" tier in robbery and assault. Gun friendly state. Something else must be going wrong here.

3. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

What's the unemployment rate there? What's the level of poverty?

4. Sniper03

Mercator,

That is not good! What do you think might be the reason in Indy? It is not known throughout the country as being a dangerous city. I guess my first question is who are the victims? In the Ghetto, not that Indy has many! Gang Bangers or Drug related ? MRM may have something there also! 03

5. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Strange. Does the city not issue CCW permits? Police chief unfriendly to carry? If crime is going up, the citizenry should be protecting themselves in various ways, including purchasing firearms and obtaining carry permits.

6. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

No such reputation, yet. Mostly it's neighborhood crime, outside the commercial center. Downtown Indy is compact and I think safe (no numbers). That's what most people saw who came to the Super Bowl. Sniper03 - yes, and yes. Mrm14 - about average, but concentrated in certain areas. TekGreg - CCW not a problem, but I don't know the demographic breakdown. I don't live in Indy but like it a lot and visit often. Did not mean to hijack the thread!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  7. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

Mercator, I don't think you hijacked the thread. The nationwide statistics show the general trend which is very strongly towards reduced violent crime in areas where CCW is "shall issue". If Indianapolis is running counter to that trend to that extent, somebody needs to see what's going wrong there.

8. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Well here it is. Bad policing. Drugs play a huge role, but the IPD is understaffed. How and why, still beats me, esp given that the city is doing well in other areas. But that's the Hoosier word on the street. Just last month Indy had 8 murders in 1 night. The IPD morale may suck too, I am not sure. One case has been notorious where a drunk cop with a history of DUI hit and killed a motorcyclist.

Edit. Don't let this deter you from attending the NRA Convention in a few weeks! Word is, unlike other venues, Indy allows open carry on the floor!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  9. Sniper03

Mercator,

What is not revealed is the rate is fairly restricted to specific areas in Indianapolis. Indy and the area around it is mostly a very safe place. If you gave me a choice I would much rather walk in the Indy area than Chicago for sure! In fact two of Indys suburbs were just rated last week as the number one and number two safest communities in the USA. They were Carmel #1 and Fishers IN. #2. You can not tell when you leave Indy proper and enter these communities.
    Why I say that is I was LE in the area for over 20 years. And was on SWAT for 16.5 years.
    So I will pick Indy anytime. And some of the stats from Chicago are washed under the political rug no doubt for obvious reasons. Can one say Rahm Emanuel & Company! Or should we say more! Too much publicity of late!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  10. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Oh, no question. I would need to be heavily bribed to move to Chicago (and not only because of crime). Indy is a patchwork. Carmel is awesome. Downtown is great. On the other hand, just north of downtown and Northwest are two of the worst neighborhoods in the nation. That area where Meridian meets 38th, (as you probably know) they tried to clean it up, opened a Starbucks and such. Few years later - gone. Same as it was in the 90's.

P.S. The crime stats do differ depending on the source. The FBI stats are based on "voluntary submissions" and show crime down 11 per cent. The BJS stats based on interviews show crime up 14 per cent. I listened to an update just the other day.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  11. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

The Safe act has prevented thousands of cimes in the last year, You should see, I feel safe walking around my yard now. Yup gun laws are really helping us, hell, they have created a whole new class of criminal in NY, those that failed to comply are now classified as crooks! Yup thats better....