Mainspring Housing Question

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by g17frantz, Oct 22, 2011.

1. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

OK, so I don't want to seem dumb here and hopefully you guys won't eat me alive about this....so, in another thread I posted I was wanting to change out my stock MSH off my Sig and replace it with an ed brown snakeskin MSH. So I've decided I'm going to get it on Wed so in preps I wanted to see how hard the change would be. With that being said....I kinda goofed (yikes I'm am idiot) and got ahead of myself. I didn't rubberband the grip safety so when I popped the pin out of the bottom of the MSH, my sear spring got off track as well. Well from there it went down hill in a matter of speaking....got on the web and researched how to fix it, all the videos I watched said the easiest way to fix is go ahead and pop the ambi safety off as well as the grip safety and set the sear spring. Assemble piece by piece and wahlah! Well....could not get the dang right side of my ambi safety off and started freaking the heck out. Took me an hour to finally get the spring set correctly in the notch
    (w/o having to take off the grip safety and ambi safety) and put the MSH together and tried to get it in. OK so here's the $10,000 question
    b/c I don't remember the MSH having any pressure to take out....Is it supposed to have pressure sliding the MSH back in place? Mine did, about a 1/4" I had to push the frame down and then pop the pin back in place. I feel like an idiot here guys
    b/c I'm usually smarter about these things and consider myself mildly gun savvy. Did I just screw something up? I had no time to go to the range tonight to test but everything seems to be OK. With safety on, trigger will not engage. With safety off and grip safety untouched, trigger not engaged. Tested the firing pin, works. I'm freaking out! Ahhhhhhh! Stupid stupid stupid! Thanks for any input

2. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Yes it's supposed to have pressure, you're good I believe.

3. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

It sounds like you did ok. hard to tell for sure without pics.

Signing out, Alpha1victor.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

this is a pretty decent vid on frame takedown and put together. if you dont have the firing pin safety you can disregard that portion.

it should help ya to learn a bit more about how things go together

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SU051YwVZk]1911 detailed strip for guns with Series 80 type safeties - YouTube[/ame]

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

As already said that amount of pressure is correct & normal-
    You are learning the way i did-
    THE HARD WAY :p

6. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I learned the same was as well :eek:.

7. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Thanks for the replies. It was definitely a learning experience!

8. ColColt

ColColt New Member

I recently replaced the aluminum or plastic msh on mine with a Smith and Alexander arched , checkered housing. This video from Brownell's is super simple.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yL3-sb9_Jc]Brownells - Installing a main spring housing/mag well on a 1911 - YouTube[/ame]

9. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Yea I've seen the video but it didn't say anything about the msh having to take any pressure to re install

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Some of the 1911 take down steps just need to be experienced and do not play well in training or DIY vids.

There is a lot to be said for a baptême du feu (baptism by fire) to imprint a procedure on your mind!

[​IMG]

11. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Yea I'd like to stay away from that cane. Don't look very pleasant. I definitely learned my lesson.
    I just have to get it out of my head that not everything is easy to work on like a glock and I just can't go tearing it down so Willy nilly. That's how I usually figure things out but I just don't wanna tear it up

12. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Where's your 1911 at cane!?

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

SEE, it's working!! It's well concealed in a Tommy Theis IWB holster, strong side right @ 4:00 o'clock!

Of course it's easy to hide in my wizard garb and its tough to get to......but then I do have my Colt Ban Stick so my 1911 is my BUG. ;)

14. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I've been wanting to detail strip one of my 1911s, but hesitate because I seem to have a tendacy to tear things up when I disassemble anything & I'm not real certain what I might run into. So, I made a deal with my a local gun store. If I get into trouble & don't mess it up so bad they have to get their gunsmith involved, they'll put it back together for free. :eek:

15. wooleybooger

wooleybooger New Member

your lucky. i did one in the BC(before computer) days and had to worry for 2 weeks before i found an old vet who could make it go. that lesson has slowed down my often too eager dis assembly of new to me firearms. believe it or not, springs and pins can fly without wings.

16. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

That's a great deal

17. canebrake

canebrake New Member

When you're breaking down a new (to you) firearm, the digital camera is your friend! ;)

And another time/parts saver is to keep and use those clear plastic bags that come packaged around a new TV or other large electrical equipment and do the breakdown of sprung pins and such in the bag. (That's literally in-the-bag, not figuratively. :p) If they go flying, they stop short inside the bag.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  18. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Never thought about the plastic baggies before, good idea. You're full of em cane!

19. dhyayi

dhyayi New Member

Thanks for the video. really simple

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]