mailbox theft/destruction

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by bkt_tater, Dec 16, 2011.

1. bkt_tater

bkt_tater New Member

:mad::mad:

History: My wife and her family lived in our current house. They bought the house next door, and moved in there. We got married and moved into our house.

Current: In the past year, we have had to replace our mailbox several times. Someone has stolen our mailbox 2 times, destroyed our mailbox 1 time, removed the mailbox from the pole 1 time, and last night someone (with some serious gonads) dug up the concrete and all. It has a cubic foot of concrete on the bottom on the pole (almost a whole bag) and is heavy as he//.

But I'm tired of having to deal with this. The local LEO's (county patrol officer) have told us there is nothing they can do unless we can prove who is doing it. I have thought about applying some low voltage/high current to give them a real adrenaline rush when they mess with it. :p But that is against the law.

Any ideas to help relieve this issue?

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I was going to suggest mount it in cement but I see you did and they dug it out of the cement. GEEZE. Do you have a mailbox made out of gold????

I've seen mailboxes fully encased in a brick and mortar structure.

How To Build a Brick Mailbox : How-To : DIY Network

3. orangello

orangello New Member

Get an inexpensive wireless surveillance camera and the shinyest, fancyest mailbox you can find. Revenge!

BTW, i picked up a little nightvision wireless camera & receiver setup for about $45 last month. Christmas gift for a sister with a chicken thief. You only get about 30-50 foot of nightvision, though.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  4. bkt_tater

bkt_tater New Member

Nope. No gold. I've thought about bricking it, but figure they'd just knock it over then. Not as easy to fix.

5. fmj

fmj New Member

Build you one lika this!!!

[​IMG]

But yeah, one of those Infra red trail cameras with video option would the way to go.

6. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Stay up one night and go "hunting". :D

7. bkt_tater

bkt_tater New Member

Well I tried using my deer cam (I thought it had infrared) but the FLASH was way to bright and scared drivers-by. I was instructed to remove it due to road hazard.

I need to look more into the wireless security systems.

8. bkt_tater

bkt_tater New Member

I've also thought about using high gauge steel and making a pole/ tube that the mailbox goes into. And also attaching an old car spring attached to the pole via weld. That way if someone hits it with a car it hits them back several times.

9. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

This idea was once given to me by a sheriffs deputy in my county.

Bolt the bottom plate (2x6 under the box) to the post with a long lag bolt with washers down the center line of the post but not centered on the post. What you want is for the post to be closer to the front of the box. Next put a small nail through the bottom plate into the post and leave the lag bolt a little loose. Then mount your mailbox to the post.

A friend of mine did this to his. When the trouble makers hit his mailbox with a ballbat it pivoted around on the lag bolt breaking loose the small nail and the longer back end of his mailbox smashed out the small side window of the teens truck. If they try to get you to pay to replace the window then you know who did it and can report them.

10. bkt_tater

bkt_tater New Member

I've thought about that, but usually it happens during the weekend (this being the first time during the week). And basically I go to work Friday afternoon and don't get off till Monday night (usually I have enough time each night to get home and sleep about 5-6 hours) not really able to do this.

11. bkt_tater

bkt_tater New Member

The first time it happened the person also did a doughnut in our yard too. This was my idea and my wife is highly against it.

12. bkt_tater

bkt_tater New Member

The problem with this idea is they haven't used a ball bat. The one time they destroyed it; they removed it and ran over it or something. The pole was fine just the box removed and destroyed.

13. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Another idea is reinforcing it in the ground, my fil had trouble with a guy running his mailbox over with a car. He used a 6 inch steel tube for the post that went about 4 feet into the ground, he had rebar welded onto the underground portion of the pipe going out in all directions up to about 3 feet out. He had to dig one hellva hole to get it in the ground, then filled the hole with concrete. Lets just say the car that hit it had to be pulled off it with a tow truck and the driver went to jail.

14. orangello

orangello New Member

15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

We were having some vandalism problems when I lived in CA. The 3rd time I replaced the mailbox, I made the pole out of 3" rigid pipe and poured it in concrete. Filled the pipe too. I then boxed the pipe with wood and mounted the mailbox. There is going to be a lot of damage if someone hits that mailbox. One night I heard some mailboxes being hit and went out to mine with an aluminum bat. It was not kids that were smashing the boxes. These guys were in their mid 20's. They had their plates covered but the police got a description. They just missed the yard with big rocks across the street avoiding me. No mailboxes were smashed for quite a while. My son used pipe for his mailbox pole and welded his mailbox out of 1/4" steel plate. Anybody its that mailbox with a bat is going to be hurting.
    The neighbor on the corner across the street was getting tire tracks on his front yard so he put in some rocks that were just high enough to high center a car and some other rocks that would stop a truck. He found a couple of abandoned cars in his yard and some bad scrapes on the big rocks. He found one rock in the street and an oil trail.

16. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Back in the 1970's we had a similar problem with our mailbox at the ranch. The mailbox was on a rural road along with about 12 or so other boxes on this road spread about a mile and a half apart. It commenced one summer that about every 2 weeks or so that someone would run them over during the early AM. We had repoaced the box and post about 7 or so times and were fed up with it.

So my brother and his friend decided to fix the problem for good. They went to the store and bought 8 or 9 12' long pieces of 1/2" round rebar. Then they dug a hole with a post hole digger and a trenching shovel about 8 ' deep and 8" in diameter. They then put a few sections of 6" stove pipe into the hole and placed all the pieces of 12' long rebar in it. They then filled the hole with the rebar in it and the stove pipe to about 4' above the ground with cement. The stove pipe acted like a form or mold and it was a shooth surface to be painted above ground. When it cured they placed a new mailbox on it and painted the stove pipe around the cement with white enamel paint and stuck yellow reflective tape strips around it. It sat about 4' inbound off the shoulder of the road. The finished job looked real good and stood for a few weeks.

Then one morning we go to the road and find that the post with the mailbox is leaning about 30 degrees and upon closer inspection there is alot of motor oil and antifreeze on the ground around the mailbox and heavy duty extra deep post. Also there is some glass, chrome, and grill parts laying close by as well. Upon further inspectrion all other mailboxes down the road were flattened again. This aparently happened on a Friday night or early Saturday morning.

Three weeks later 5 boys in their late teens came to our house and said that they were told by the local judge to fix the mailboxes on this road as they had been caught running them over. Part of their punishment. We asked how they got caught and they said it was our mailbox that stopped them. They further said that they hit it at 45MPH and it stopped their 1968 Ford F-250 truck cold and that it had totaled the truck. Also two of the boys were threw through the windshield and one was still in the hospitol from going through the windshield. These guys were still real bad busted up and were lucky they were all alive. Later we were sued by the parents of the boy still in the hospitol and our home owners policy paid them off. We were also told by the law to not put up another post for our mailbox like that so near a public road. We went back to a 4"X4" wood post and never had our mailbox run over again.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  17. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Game camera should be able to do the trick.

18. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

In my hometown there is a guy that put concrete "dragon's teeth" in his yard bordering the road because the county road made a 90 degree left turn just before his yard. It was a 15 mph speed limit. After school alot high school kids going that way to the highway would go into the turn too hot and overshoot right into his yard. He got tired of his yard looking like a rutted up construction site. Ive seen more than a few cars and trucks sitting up on those concrete triangles with bent bumpers and smashed oil pans.

19. trip286

trip286 New Member

Mama just chased em off with a broom.

First off, your local law enforcement should be all over that, isn't it a federal offense? That's what I was told by LEO when our mailbox was destroyed, which ended in a similar story to some of the others here. We had some kids come by with a baseball bat doing about 30mph, when one of them swung at our mailbox. It was the concrete post type, set about 4 feet in the ground, no concrete in the hole, just well packed dirt. It broke both the batter's arms, and when the bat flew out of her hands it also gave her a skull fracture.

Her family also tried to sue us, but one of the things that saved us (the family eventually dropped their suit), was that we were able to prove there was nothing home made about the post, we had a receipt from a local hardware store. The Lawyer we had to retain told us that was one of the deciding factors for the other lawyer when he advised the family to drop the case.

The girl ended up with some pretty fat fines, and supposedly almost went to jail. I heard through the grapevine that her little batting practice cost her family and their insurance well over 150k. And that's not even counting the little hussy's pretty face getting ruined.

20. hmh

hmh New Member

Ir flash game camera. And you can take a big mailbox set a small one inside of it in concrete mount it to a good pole. When they hit it with a bat it will ring there hands so bad they will not want to do it again. And if they run it over it should cause enuf damage to persuade them that it isn't worth it. It shouldn't seriously injure though