Firearms Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

New shooter, first post.
I'm seeing some companies that won't mail ammunition to Chicago, but I didn't find anything in the Chicago or Cook County municipal codes that says it's illegal. Is there something I'm missing?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Hello,

New shooter, first post.
I'm seeing some companies that won't mail ammunition to Chicago, but I didn't find anything in the Chicago or Cook County municipal codes that says it's illegal. Is there something I'm missing?

Thank you.
Sellers don't want anything to do with the massive Chicago and Cook County violence possibly being traced back to them and Illinois requires a FOID card from the buyer as part of the transaction. As an ammo seller myself now and then, I won't sell in Illinois and many other states based on either my personal feelings about their politics or legal hassles such as in Illinois, CT, CA, NY and several other places. May not be fair or reasonable in the eyes of some people but if you hang out on GB much you can see most ammo and gun sellers avoid the same places, myself included. Keep trying and vote liberal anti-gun bastards out. Someone will work with you.

Here is another reason, from a prominent online ammo seller, that you are having issues:

Under O2013-6015, only an ammunition retailer with a weapons dealer license can sell ammunition within Chicago. For various reasons, we believe it would jeopardize our privacy and the privacy of our customers to obtain a weapons dealer license from the City of Chicago. Any ammunition retailer who sells ammunition inside Chicago or to a customer located inside Chicago without a weapons dealer permit is subject to a fine of at least $1,000, and/or incarceration for 20-90 days.

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts
Sellers do not want to have to obtain and verify your FOID Cards and keep on file. Nor will they want to be sued for selling someone ammo there that uses it in any crime.

As an individual, I do sell a gun once in awhile on GB. But it will be shipped to an FFL.
If I have surplus ammo, well, it certainly will not go to Illinois. Folks are tired of the BS Illinois, and even worse, Chicago Area have for laws that often are different from town to town.
Simply put, not worth the risk. And I live right across the Mississippi river in Iowa.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Got any friends in Lake or Mchenry county?
I lived in Lake County for many years and never had a problem with ammo shipments.
And I didn't need a FOID for mail order ammo in Lake County.
Has that changed? It's been quite a few years.
One more thing....try "ableammo.com".....if they have any.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sellers don't want anything to do with the massive Chicago and Cook County violence possibly being traced back to them and Illinois requires a FOID card from the buyer as part of the transaction. As an ammo seller myself now and then, I won't sell in Illinois and many other states based on either my personal feelings about their politics or legal hassles such as in Illinois, CT, CA, NY and several other places. May not be fair or reasonable in the eyes of some people but if you hang out on GB much you can see most ammo and gun sellers avoid the same places, myself included. Keep trying and vote liberal anti-gun bastards out. Someone will work with you.

Here is another reason, from a prominent online ammo seller, that you are having issues:

Under O2013-6015, only an ammunition retailer with a weapons dealer license can sell ammunition within Chicago. For various reasons, we believe it would jeopardize our privacy and the privacy of our customers to obtain a weapons dealer license from the City of Chicago. Any ammunition retailer who sells ammunition inside Chicago or to a customer located inside Chicago without a weapons dealer permit is subject to a fine of at least $1,000, and/or incarceration for 20-90 days.
Seems kinda funny for sellers to not want anything to do with gun violence. Isn't being able to protect yourself in a violent situation the whole point? I get where they're coming from though. Illinois politics is something else.

Thanks for posting that code. It helped me find a few other things that I had missed in my initial search.

I found a few places that don't explicitly say they won't ship to Chicago. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts
I lived in Lake County for many years and never had a problem with ammo shipments.
You do need a FOID card for a gun or ammo over there. Got to be 21 to even get a Card.
Oh, as far as ammo. Well, a resident can't even give or sell another resident a round without both of them having a Foid card. And best keep a copy if you do.

I am about 2 miles from the Mississippi River bridge between Iowa and Illinois. Quite a few of our Gun Club Members live in Illinois. As of last year many of them want Iowa guys to sell them ammo.
Why should individuals like me want to keep records of their Foid Cards.

Tough luck Illinois.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sellers do not want to have to obtain and verify your FOID Cards and keep on file. Nor will they want to be sued for selling someone ammo there that uses it in any crime.

As an individual, I do sell a gun once in awhile on GB. But it will be shipped to an FFL.
If I have surplus ammo, well, it certainly will not go to Illinois. Folks are tired of the BS Illinois, and even worse, Chicago Area have for laws that often are different from town to town.
Simply put, not worth the risk. And I live right across the Mississippi river in Iowa.
Makes sense.

I tried to go through my local FFL, their website says
"We do NOT accept ammo transfers.
In fact, it is illegal for Illinois residents to have ammunition shipped to any address other than what is on their FOID/CCL card, IL driver's license, or IL state ID. (430 ILCS 65/3) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-3)"

Yeah, there's lots of conflicting rules between the city, county, and state. Very confusing for me.

I've been thinking about a move to Iowa. You like it out there?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It looks like places want a FOID or CCL and a Driver's License to ship anywhere in Illinois.

I'll give ableammo a look. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts
Makes sense.

I tried to go through my local FFL, their website says
"We do NOT accept ammo transfers.
In fact, it is illegal for Illinois residents to have ammunition shipped to any address other than what is on their FOID/CCL card, IL driver's license, or IL state ID. (430 ILCS 65/3) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-3)"

Yeah, there's lots of conflicting rules between the city, county, and state. Very confusing for me.

I've been thinking about a move to Iowa. You like it out there?
Darned right I do. I'm right across the I-80 Bridge and about 4-5 miles SW of it. Lovely wooded hills and valleys around most of Eastern Iowa. Seem to be jobs of all types available.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
When I lived in Illinois I never needed a FOID card for ammo orders. Perhaps that has changed.
In store, yes but not online.
I have bought a few firearms online as well but the protocol was the same, shipped to FFL where the sale was completed.
Update:
I just checked with Ableammo.
They do require a FOID card for sales and you need to register with the site.
It's been quite a while.....apparently I had forgotten.

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts
When I lived in Illinois I never needed a FOID card for ammo orders. Perhaps that has changed.
In store, yes but not online.
I have bought a few firearms online as well but the protocol was the same, shipped to FFL where the sale was completed.
They have to have a FOID Card for AMMO. In state or if ordered online.

Any resident purchasing ammunition outside the state must provide the seller with a copy of his or her valid FOID card and either his or her Illinois driver’s license or Illinois State Identification card prior to the shipment of the ammunition. The ammunition may be shipped only to an address on either of those two documents.3

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Outlaw, I guess we were both typing at the same time.
I edited my post. I checked with Ableammo and a FOID card is needed.
But in my defense, I haven't been in Illinois since 2005......I had forgotten that as well as the -20° winters, 2' of snow and the anti-gun agenda.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
You do need a FOID card for a gun or ammo over there. Got to be 21 to even get a Card.
Oh, as far as ammo. Well, a resident can't even give or sell another resident a round without both of them having a Foid card. And best keep a copy if you do.

I am about 2 miles from the Mississippi River bridge between Iowa and Illinois. Quite a few of our Gun Club Members live in Illinois. As of last year many of them want Iowa guys to sell them ammo.
Why should individuals like me want to keep records of their Foid Cards.

Tough luck Illinois.
Not directed to the OP and nothing personal but the people of Illinois and other places have made their bed by electing low IQ, grossly incompetent and mentally slow individuals like Lori Lightfoot, billionaire dictator wannabe's for their governor like Pritzker, and liberal democrat people of the "Chicago crime machine" as their political leaders, so now they have to sleep in that sleezy bed.

At least Kalifornia deserves some credit for initiating a recall on Newsome (which will be manipulated) but other places deserve to live with what they cultivate. I credit the people that have moved out of New York and Kalifornia with having the brains to do so and hope the places dry up and blow away in the wind for lack of tax monies (which the fed will backfill with our money). I also hope they don't ruin places like Austin and Florida with their liberal warped views of the world. Desantis better be alert to that. Let the liberals live with their self-facilitated crime infestations and draconian gun laws. I wonder how they feel about their police being de-funded as their cities burn....

Chicago apparently doesn't want mail order ammo and guns.....as their people die from illegal guns that don't exist everyday.

·
Registered
7,679 Posts
Natchez and a few others will accept a copy (scan) of your FOID and drivers license, and sell you ammo.

I was lucky enough to get a couple thousand rounds a few months ago at a decent price from them. Good luck on your hunt.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Not directed to the OP and nothing personal but the people of Illinois and other places have made their bed by electing low IQ, grossly incompetent and mentally slow individuals like Lori Lightfoot, billionaire dictator wannabe's for their governor like Pritzker, and liberal democrat people of the "Chicago crime machine" as their political leaders, so now they have to sleep in that sleezy bed.
Illinois has always been a sanctuary state before the term became popular.
The city is filled with illegals who have worked there for decades.
On any given day, when an ICE inspection is due, the companies are notified in advance by local authorities so they can tell their help without green cards to take the day off.
I have witnessed this first hand.
These type of states are always big on gun control, equal rights, etc.
And they are by far the most corrupt states.
I lived in Illinois for over 50 years and learned the hard way how corrupt it is.
But not everyone can just up and move, like I did.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts