Firearms Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me what size hole punch to buy to make my own Nitro Wads to go over the powder?
The walls on these shells are very thin and a normal 410 nitro will not fit tight.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aren't they like 20$ for 1000?
I did a search and found some at BPI. But they are not nitro wads they are fiber wads. BPI suggests .455 wads for the Magtech brass. $10.99 for 500.
.450 = 9/20th of an inch.
I will use Sharps suggestion to use one of the cases. Then mic the card and go with that measurement.

·
Registered
Whatever tickles my fancy in the morning and what I'm going to be doing
164 Posts
Thank you sir, I've been cutting wads a loooong time....lol!

Reactions: Artie1957

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
I used a 45 Colt case. I drilled out the flash hole so I can push the cards out with a punch. Should fit the 410 brass. I make light loads out of the 45 Colt cases for my single shot. I have a set of leather cutting dies now and can cut any size I need. I also make my own 38 spl shot loads. A drill press is a big help but not necessary. I love the 410. Fun gun and easy to load for. Looking for a Stoeger Coach gun in 410.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used a 45 Colt case. I drilled out the flash hole so I can push the cards out with a punch. Should fit the 410 brass. I make light loads out of the 45 Colt cases for my single shot. I have a set of leather cutting dies now and can cut any size I need. I also make my own 38 spl shot loads. A drill press is a big help but not necessary. I love the 410. Fun gun and easy to load for. Looking for a Stoeger Coach gun in 410.
This is basically what I’m trying to accomplish, that is make light loads to shoot in a Bond Derringer.
Could you go into a little more detail on how you make the light loads with the 45 Colt cases?
What material are you making the over powder cards out of?

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
I have 45 Colt dies for my press. Case prep and crimp are the only steps using the dies.
You can get card stock at an office supply. Index cards, business cards and pizza boxes work.
1-powder in primed prepped 45 Colt case.
2-over powder card-nitro card. 11mm diameter works Use a dowel to seat cards and wads.
3-5mm cork wad for buffer. Supposed to be 1/4" but they cheat. Leave out the buffer if you want more shot.
4-shot to near top. Leave room for over shot card.
5-over shot card. Can be same as nitro. Double up if you feel you want more thickness.
6-light crimp
7-wood glue to seal

Reactions: Artie1957

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have 45 Colt dies for my press. Case prep and crimp are the only steps using the dies.
You can get card stock at an office supply. Index cards, business cards and pizza boxes work.
1-powder in primed prepped 45 Colt case.
2-over powder card-nitro card. 11mm diameter works Use a dowel to seat cards and wads.
3-5mm cork wad for buffer. Supposed to be 1/4" but they cheat. Leave out the buffer if you want more shot.
4-shot to near top. Leave room for over shot card.
5-over shot card. Can be same as nitro. Double up if you feel you want more thickness.
6-light crimp
7-wood glue to seal
Wood Material property Tints and shades Metal Fashion accessory

I put this together for reloading plastic 410 hulls. I have Lee Classic Loader for 45 Colt that I can use to resize the brass.
I assume that you are talking about black powder or a substitute?

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
I have a similar set up. You can use the correct size washer to size the plastic shot shells. I drilled some holes in a chunk of hardwood to make things easier. Set the washer over a hole or pipe big enough for the shell to go in easily and hit the shell with a mallet. I made a wooden mallet. Once it is sized flip it over and use the dowel to drive it out.
I use shotgun/pistol powder and load just as you would a shot shell. I wont give you a specific recipe. Just read the reloading manual for 410 shot shells and you can check on line for loads. Remember these are light loads.

Reactions: sharps4590

·
Registered
Whatever tickles my fancy in the morning and what I'm going to be doing
164 Posts
JTJ, you mention wood glue for gluing in the OSC, I assume like Elmer's?. How does that work for you? I tried about everything but that and ended up the historic route with waterglass. That was all I found that would withstand the shock of firing "the other barrel". I wonder if the wood glue would hold up? My brass hulls are all 16 bore and for drillings and combination guns

1 - 12 of 12 Posts