Magpul MBUS PRO 2 Modifications

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Jason_Waterfalls, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Jason_Waterfalls

Jason_Waterfalls New Member

I am an avid pistol and competition clays shooter, however I felt I needed to find out what the AR hype was all about. Had my AR-15 for about 2 weeks now and have put about 2,000 rounds through it. I'm an avid fan of iron sights and have the new Magpul MBUS PRO 2 and love them. However, my dominate eye is weak and hard to pickup front sight.

I alway paint my iron sights on my over/under and pistols. Has anyone every painted their Iron Sight posts or do they have drop in posts I can screw in to replace OEM post on the front sight??

Thanks for any assistance guys! Really excited to be a beginner again and learn all about this amazing weapons system!

2. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

I have seen different front sights for ARs. I know someone out there makes a fiber optic post too. If you use the google you will find a bunch of options. But if you are used to painting your front sights then that would be a good quick and cheap solution. If it were me I'd just paint it. Because eventually you'll end up with a nice red dot on there anyway. Get something with a nice QD mount and you can use your irons whenever you want.

3. Cuda13

Cuda13 New Member

Is this what you seek?

https://www.blitzkriegcomponents.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AR15SFS-MP-08LG

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

i do a lot of precision shooting with irons on my rock river arms national match ar15. i hit the front sight with flat black model paint and a coat of flat lacquer. when shooting precision with irons on a rifle you want the least shiny blackest black you can get. it will stand out on paper at a longest distance and flatness prevents shine which will distort your sight picture.

if your rifle is hunting or self defense you want the opposite. you want to pick up the sights fast and being off a little from glare you get off a colored sight does not matter

two different tasks

5. Jason_Waterfalls

Jason_Waterfalls New Member

Thanks for all the awesome ideas guys and I did see those screw in posts already colored. Really clean look and not expensive.

My new setup is the irons with a red dot running as a cowitness I believe is the terminology.

I love the setup because I can keep my irons stock matte finish and "paint" that red dot right on top of the post such as Cardiac mentioned. The assurance my head is in the correct position is a plus too!

Thanks again for the replys

6. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

Sounds like a solid set up. The red dot is a lot of fun once you get used to it. I had mine on my Mini14 for a while and it was a revelation how fast I could change POA at 50-100' and still shoot groups in a golfball size or so hole. I'd use a target with 4 corner bulls and a center bull and just wear it out.

7. 1stmini

1stmini New Member

I have a jar of orange paint I have used on my sights for years