Firearms Talk banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
The .41 Magnum was created to provide a more powerful law enforcement weapon. The "CHIPS", adopted it in the S&W Mdl. 58. They and a few others found it to be unsatisfactory for police work.
The .41 Mag falls between the .357 and the .44 Mag. It seems the market demand for the .357 and the .44 Mag remain strong. There is enough interest in the .41 to keep it alive.

They would still sell a lot of magazines at a lower price. They are insisting on their high profit margin so sales fall.
Folks with ARs etc still shoot. They still buy magazines.
If they follow the old supply and demand they will lower prices. If they are insisting on the Wall Street margin they will cease and invest their money elsewhere. They are not in the business of making magazines. They are in th business of making money.
The market place sets the prices. If your price is higher than the market, you will not sell much. Magpul magazines still sell for $14 and up here, and until someone lowers that market price there is no reason for Magpul to follow.

The .41 Magnum was created to provide a more powerful law enforcement weapon. The "CHIPS", adopted it in the S&W Mdl. 58. They and a few others found it to be unsatisfactory for police work.
The .41 Mag falls between the .357 and the .44 Mag. It seems the market demand for the .357 and the .44 Mag remain strong. There is enough interest in the .41 to keep it alive.
the 41 Magnum was an intermediate cartridge with the ballistics between the 357 Magnum and the 44 Magnum, just as you stated. who knows exactly why the 41 never reached the popularity of the 357 or 44 Magnums? failure to market it correctly? not enough interest? maybe no enough bullet manufacturers at the time offering bullets in enough types and weights to make it interesting to reloaders? did some consider it an answer to a problem that didn't exist? like why do you need 41, when you have the 357 and the 44?

would the 41 survive today if it were introduced? IDK? interesting question though. for a comparison, lets look at the 9mm, the 40 S&W and the 45 auto. both the 9mm and the 45 auto are well over hundred years old and had a huge jump on the 40 S&W round. some said it was a fad and wouldn't last, but it did! some said it was an answer to a problem that didn't exist. but gun and ammo manufacturers continue to make and sell both. now i suspect the 9mm still reigns supreme in the sales department in comparison to both of the other calibers, with the 45 auto trailing second, and the 40 S&W falling behind in third.

but here's the interesting part. why did the 40 S&W succeed, when the 41 Magnum didn't? poor marketing? both are intermediate rounds in sense. is it that semi-auto pistols are just much more popular than revolvers? i fully believe that semi-auto pistols sell much more in quantity than revolvers, but i have no concrete data to support that, only what i read in gun magazines, read on gun forums, and see looking at the dealers shelves. many more semi-autos than revolvers being displayed or talked about, and mentioned being bought.

thankfully, both Smith & Wesson, and Ruger are still offering the 41 Magnum, and keeping it alive. one day i may venture into getting one, knowing that ammo availability will be limited, and reloading the only viable means of economically shooting it, but i'm cool with that.

I had the opportunity to buy either a .41 mag S&W or a Dan Wesson .357 Maximum a few years ago. Ended up with the Max and over 6k rounds of ammo for it along with 16 pounds of powder, dies, brass, primers and bullets. Should have got both, a friend bought the other.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Both the 9MM and the .45 ACP have been around for a Century. We have no idea about the .40 S&W only time will dictate it's success. The America gun owners have accepted calibers in .38, .44 and 45 for decades. These calibers have a long history of proven acceptance.
The .41 calibers did not have a successful ancestry. The .41 caliber was an orphan without a famous family tree. The .45 calibers and .44 calibers fought at the Little Big Horn and the streets of Dodge City. The .38 calibers were popular during and after the Civil War.
The .41 caliber was chambered in the Derringers and other small handguns. Colt chambered their Icon Mdl. P in .41 it was an underpowered offering and failed. The .41 calibers never attained popularity or a place in history. Gun owners are very dedicated to a weapons pedigree. :)

Not to disparage liberals or anything... but it seems that most of the problems with their theories and proposals ignore the human condition or the human emotion.
Meaning, the mere act of trying to ban something they don't like, created a giant surplus, new innovations, more reliable versions, larger stockpiles and more supporters of the very thing they claim to hate.

Now that they're not in charge, everything's grinding to a standstill.

They couldn't have achieved these results with legislation.

with Magpul or any other company for that matter, it's about simple economics of supply and demand. nothing more. if demand is greater than the supply, you either up your prices, and add additional people to the workforce to meet that demand to stay afloat. when supply is greater than the demand, then you either cut prices, or lay off part of the workforce.

with AR's dropping in demand, prices are dropping as well. much of this i speculate has to do with who's now sitting in the White House. there seems to be less urgency on the part of gun owners feeling that there is someone who would want to ban a choice of firearm they enjoy owning. many i also speculate, bought AR's and other types of rifles simply because they felt that they may be banned under the former administration.

and both Obama, and Hillary Clinton had very anti-gun agendas. there was no mistake about that in the least.

but back to the subject. as AR's are dropping in price, and demand, the demand for some accessories is also going to decline as well.

now would be a good time to get an AR, or add to your AR collection, because i foresee over the next six months to a year, a huge and drastic drop in prices, and it will be a buyers market. personally, i plan of adding to my collection over the next year or so. i may also even do some upgrading of parts and accessories as well.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
In the firearms marketing like anything demands change. There is no argument Trumps election played a big part in the sales drop. There is also a fact the sales were getting soft before the election of Trump.
A few years ago "Cowboy" guns and equipment were all the rage. It is no longer the big market. It seems the revolver is now pushing back against the semi-auto pistol market. :confused:

tinbucket my good friend. I really don't know what ranchers floating loans has to do with Magpul. They Magpul ,are wholly supported financially by their state's taxpayers. They are not floating bank loans.
Magpuls HQ is in Texas and their production plant is in Cheyenne. :)
It was an attempt to show how the markets have changed, pretty much all of them.
I had a good grasp of the illustration but got diverted by dinner and lost it.
Generally without being in that illusory vein Investors don't cut prices to stay in business in many instances, when % of return falls they take their money and run and invest elsewhere.
Not so much concerned about that business surviving, under their control anyway . The phrase we are in the business of making money not guns was brought home in 1990, NRA , in Nashville by ...... VP of Marketing, at that time. I left the Company name out. I was aquainted with him when I was Production Planning Supervisor with Olin previosuly.
I am planning on going to where Turkey town was and mostly underwater, now. Maybe I will find some info on your Ancestor.
Which brings up are you going to or have you joined the Gentlemen of the War of 1812, I don't have the title right but you know the organization.

Discussion starter · #30 ·
Inventory reduction when market demand drops is very strategic. Taxes are accessed on inventory on the floor. It is important to take marginal losses opposed to paying taxes on dormant inventories.:)
No I am not familiar with a Veterans/Ancestors Org for the War of 1812?? Let me know?:)

I just ordered 2 Magpul 12 rounders for my G26 and I really like their 17 rounders for the G17. I hope this expansion into handgun magazines works for them. They are, as far as I can see just as good as the OEM.

Perhaps the Magpul workers who lost their jobs can find new work in the coal industry.

That could be pretty lucrative if the coal opens back up.
I'm hoping the oil opens back up. Sure know my field of engineering could benefit from it!
i fully believe that both of those industries are going to make a comeback over the the course of the next year or so.

an increase in both fields would do the entire country a favor, economic wise.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.