Firearms Talk banner

Magpul lays off workers

4K views 41 replies 16 participants last post by  Chainfire 
#1 ·
#3 ·
The article reads like it’s back to normal demand from“exceptional” demand.

I wonder if the Wyoming Business Council think they got their money’s worth?

ellis

FTA...Magpul Industries has laid off 85 workers who had been hired to help the firearms accessories manufacturer in Wyoming handle exceptional demand for its products last year.
Those who lost their jobs are actually employees of an employment staffing service that places temporary, seasonal and full-time employees at Magpul’s manufacturing and distribution facility in Cheyenne.
Magpul opened its factory in early 2015.
In 2016, Magpul expanded its Cheyenne operations to meet market demand in the firearms industry. However, demand has since returned to normal.
Even with the layoffs,Magpul still employs 163 workers, well above the 95 employees it had originally envisioned employing by this year.
Magpul was originally located in Erie, Colorado, but moved its manufacturing, distribution and shipping services to Cheyenne after Colorado enacted stricter gun control laws in 2013.
Soon after the company announced it was moving to Cheyenne in early 2014, the Wyoming Business Council recommended a $13 million grant to help with the relocation. The State Loan and Investment Board approved an $8.3 million grant in September 2014…."

#4 ·
deg, That is an interesting comment. I have noticed more revolvers at the local range? People are interested in the Kimber and Colt's new revolvers? I am seeing more Charter Arms .44 Specials?
I like revolvers. However they will have to pry my 1911 Colt from my cold dead hands.:D

#5 ·
The article reads like it’s back to normal demand from“exceptional” demand.

I wonder if the Wyoming Business Council think they got their money’s worth?

ellis

FTA...Magpul Industries has laid off 85 workers who had been hired to help the firearms accessories manufacturer in Wyoming handle exceptional demand for its products last year.
Those who lost their jobs are actually employees of an employment staffing service that places temporary, seasonal and full-time employees at Magpul’s manufacturing and distribution facility in Cheyenne.
Magpul opened its factory in early 2015.
In 2016, Magpul expanded its Cheyenne operations to meet market demand in the firearms industry. However, demand has since returned to normal.
Even with the layoffs,Magpul still employs 163 workers, well above the 95 employees it had originally envisioned employing by this year.
Magpul was originally located in Erie, Colorado, but moved its manufacturing, distribution and shipping services to Cheyenne after Colorado enacted stricter gun control laws in 2013.
Soon after the company announced it was moving to Cheyenne in early 2014, the Wyoming Business Council recommended a $13 million grant to help with the relocation. The State Loan and Investment Board approved an $8.3 million grant in September 2014…."
You never know. Way back in 1976 they financed a small struggling firearms company from Utah. Turns out "Freedom Arms" and the .454 Casull was a good investment.:)

#6 ·
I like .357 revolvers. Particularly the larger frames. However I am not giving up my semi autos or Ar. That said, without their top salesman, the firearm firms and stores I believe will be re-forecasting and planning. I do believe the demand will drop for some period of time, a couple years maybe, and then begin to go up. It may never get to the level it has been until Chelsea or Michelle gets elected (shoot me before that happens).

The one thing that may help the firearms industry some will be the effectiveness of the Liberals in pushing for their agenda even though they are not in charge. Note how some of the desired bills are not rocking and rolling through congress. Reciprocal carry or the suppressor bill. The Dems are screaming that the RINOs are ducking.

Plus the Bloomberg attacks. I expect one in Florida real soon. Florida is a red state......barely. It is always easier to get people out to vote against something they do not like, than it is to support something that they like. I expect Bloomberg will be after universal background checks here. That will certainly get me out working against it.

#7 ·
Correct me if I am wrong but I had thought I read somewhere the armed forces were going to use there magazines? I could of dreamed that too, but wonder if I did read it....

In my industry they have brought in temporary workers before, they are paid well but usually live like gypsies. The ones I have encountered are very very hard working people and some actually leave the temp service and become employees of different companies.

Wait until the next liberal loonie gets in office.

#10 ·
They would still sell a lot of magazines at a lower price. They are insisting on their high profit margin so sales fall.
Folks with ARs etc still shoot. They still buy magazines.
If they follow the old supply and demand they will lower prices. If they are insisting on the Wall Street margin they will cease and invest their money elsewhere. They are not in the business of making magazines. They are in th business of making money.
Don't know their organization but all of them seem to follow the post defeat of Glass-Stegall and Banks invest in and make company decisions instead of loaning money.

#11 ·
I am sure they are in business to make a profit. Why else would you invest in any business? What does Glass-Spiegel investments to Federal Banking laws 1933 revisions have to do with an Injection Molding company?
Many gun owners will continue to shoot that is true. They have already invested in rifles and Mags. It is the lack of demands by new customers that is the problem. :confused:

#12 · (Edited)
Captn: a little clearer illustration. out west, I would have to find the article to say who, a Group of ranchers had their own meat packing and distribution plant etc.
They were using the banks money of course.
The bank decided they would not fund their operation, which was making money and prospering, in deference to funding a international outfit,with intentions of taking over the operations.
If the Cowboys had borrowed the money, the old fashioned way, they would have just paid it off and borrowed more. However the bank under rules now had say in production, and decided their money was going elsewhere, not a new loan to the other outfit. There was collaboration between Officers of the Bank and the Big Outfit. they decided together they could amke a lot more money if the Bank withheld financing nex yars operation and called the loan/their investment in the Outfiit they had been doing business with.
The loan was an investment and the bank essentially said our money we will make decision for the company. they decided to pull their financing/investment and kill the operation and invest loan to the larger outfit, instead of loaning to both. Now I'm not a Banker and I have forgotten some details.
Glass-Stegal forbade bankers from taking any control or investment in a company. They loaned money and you paid it back, which is the way it should be.
Investment Bankers and others sometimes form hedge funds betting on firms going belly up etc. Many times these people wear both hats it seems.....illegal of course in theory.
Now don't quote me unless I find the article and post it. It has been a few years.
Now the meat of it. As investors the Banks demand a high return on investment. If the numbers become smaller, though still making money they insist on slimming down the company, sound judgement, to keep % up but not numbers.
Two Restaurants in town over the mtn were making money and had been there a long time. First one closed then the second. They had been bought out by a Franchise Owner who built a chain fast food place and now the only restaurant is a fast food chain store.
It is sorry food and high priced not home cooked meals type or good restaurant type.
The small town with prosperous Citizens is losing money and people go out of town to eat about 30 miles and other business is declining.
Captn,I'm circling the hole and missing the point, a bit. So I'll think about it and maybe try again.

#13 ·
the demand for AR's and it's accessories is dropping off. so prices will drop. just as much as Obama was a boon for the AR market, Trump is just the opposite. people are less in fear of Trump usurping our gun rights, so the demand for AR's is going to slack off some, and also we are going see much more reasonable prices on AR's and their accessories in the near future. they are already dropping quite a bit. had a friend of mine got a NIB Ruger AR556 just last week for $499! he ordered it online and with shipping and the transfer fees, he came out for just less than $550 for a brand new AR! sweet!

#17 ·
tinbucket my good friend. I really don't know what ranchers floating loans has to do with Magpul. They Magpul ,are wholly supported financially by their state's taxpayers. They are not floating bank loans.
Magpuls HQ is in Texas and their production plant is in Cheyenne. :)

#18 ·
Now, if we could jump-start the interest in .41 magnum again. Revolvers in .41 mag, nearest thing to perfect.
Henry is trying to! They started making 41 Magnum rifles last year!
Is not the .41 Magnum the same as a 10 mm that Smith and Wesson and a couple others are making revolvers for?

#19 ·
Is not the .41 Magnum the same as a 10 mm that Smith and Wesson and a couple others are making revolvers for?
the 41 Magnum is a rimmed cartridge, with a bullet diameter of .410.

the 10mm Auto is a rimless cartridge, with a bullet diameter of .400.

if S&W is making a revolver in 10mm Auto, then they have modified the cylinder to either accept a rimless cartridge, or it uses "moon clips" to secure the cartridges in the cylinder. the 40 S&W cartridge's parent cartridge was the 10mm Auto.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.41_Remington_Magnum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10mm_Auto

#21 ·
The .41 Magnum was created to provide a more powerful law enforcement weapon. The "CHIPS", adopted it in the S&W Mdl. 58. They and a few others found it to be unsatisfactory for police work.
The .41 Mag falls between the .357 and the .44 Mag. It seems the market demand for the .357 and the .44 Mag remain strong. There is enough interest in the .41 to keep it alive.

#22 ·
They would still sell a lot of magazines at a lower price. They are insisting on their high profit margin so sales fall.
Folks with ARs etc still shoot. They still buy magazines.
If they follow the old supply and demand they will lower prices. If they are insisting on the Wall Street margin they will cease and invest their money elsewhere. They are not in the business of making magazines. They are in th business of making money.
The market place sets the prices. If your price is higher than the market, you will not sell much. Magpul magazines still sell for $14 and up here, and until someone lowers that market price there is no reason for Magpul to follow.

#23 ·
The .41 Magnum was created to provide a more powerful law enforcement weapon. The "CHIPS", adopted it in the S&W Mdl. 58. They and a few others found it to be unsatisfactory for police work.
The .41 Mag falls between the .357 and the .44 Mag. It seems the market demand for the .357 and the .44 Mag remain strong. There is enough interest in the .41 to keep it alive.
the 41 Magnum was an intermediate cartridge with the ballistics between the 357 Magnum and the 44 Magnum, just as you stated. who knows exactly why the 41 never reached the popularity of the 357 or 44 Magnums? failure to market it correctly? not enough interest? maybe no enough bullet manufacturers at the time offering bullets in enough types and weights to make it interesting to reloaders? did some consider it an answer to a problem that didn't exist? like why do you need 41, when you have the 357 and the 44?

would the 41 survive today if it were introduced? IDK? interesting question though. for a comparison, lets look at the 9mm, the 40 S&W and the 45 auto. both the 9mm and the 45 auto are well over hundred years old and had a huge jump on the 40 S&W round. some said it was a fad and wouldn't last, but it did! some said it was an answer to a problem that didn't exist. but gun and ammo manufacturers continue to make and sell both. now i suspect the 9mm still reigns supreme in the sales department in comparison to both of the other calibers, with the 45 auto trailing second, and the 40 S&W falling behind in third.

but here's the interesting part. why did the 40 S&W succeed, when the 41 Magnum didn't? poor marketing? both are intermediate rounds in sense. is it that semi-auto pistols are just much more popular than revolvers? i fully believe that semi-auto pistols sell much more in quantity than revolvers, but i have no concrete data to support that, only what i read in gun magazines, read on gun forums, and see looking at the dealers shelves. many more semi-autos than revolvers being displayed or talked about, and mentioned being bought.

thankfully, both Smith & Wesson, and Ruger are still offering the 41 Magnum, and keeping it alive. one day i may venture into getting one, knowing that ammo availability will be limited, and reloading the only viable means of economically shooting it, but i'm cool with that.

#24 ·
I had the opportunity to buy either a .41 mag S&W or a Dan Wesson .357 Maximum a few years ago. Ended up with the Max and over 6k rounds of ammo for it along with 16 pounds of powder, dies, brass, primers and bullets. Should have got both, a friend bought the other.

#25 ·
Both the 9MM and the .45 ACP have been around for a Century. We have no idea about the .40 S&W only time will dictate it's success. The America gun owners have accepted calibers in .38, .44 and 45 for decades. These calibers have a long history of proven acceptance.
The .41 calibers did not have a successful ancestry. The .41 caliber was an orphan without a famous family tree. The .45 calibers and .44 calibers fought at the Little Big Horn and the streets of Dodge City. The .38 calibers were popular during and after the Civil War.
The .41 caliber was chambered in the Derringers and other small handguns. Colt chambered their Icon Mdl. P in .41 it was an underpowered offering and failed. The .41 calibers never attained popularity or a place in history. Gun owners are very dedicated to a weapons pedigree. :)

#26 ·
Not to disparage liberals or anything... but it seems that most of the problems with their theories and proposals ignore the human condition or the human emotion.
Meaning, the mere act of trying to ban something they don't like, created a giant surplus, new innovations, more reliable versions, larger stockpiles and more supporters of the very thing they claim to hate.

Now that they're not in charge, everything's grinding to a standstill.

They couldn't have achieved these results with legislation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.