Magpul CTR stock stuck on buffer tube....Need to Remove.

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by ARnoob, Apr 14, 2011.

1. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

Last night I attempted to install my new CTR stock on my Stag lower. I checked to make sure (website and measuring) that I order the correct milspec CTR stock for my Stag milspec buffer tube. Well, I was so excited to install the CTR stock that I did not read the instructions about pulling down the metal posts on each side of the locking pin in order to install the CTR stock.

I got the stock about 1/4 of the way on the buffer tube and now it's stuck.

I have since tried to pull down themetal posts on each side of the locking pin, and I'm able to do so, but the stock is not budging.

Could you guys provide me with some assistance?

Thanks.

2. WoodysKJ

WoodysKJ New Member

Unfortunately I would suggest: 1.877.4MAGPUL

Trying anything else MIGHT void any warranty you still have.

3. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

Thanks. I'll give them a call.

4. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I usually use a screw driver to depress one side of the metal stud. Make sure the locking mech. isnt engaged then give the stud a nice little pry.

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I'd think that would work. I was surprised how hard it was to put the CTR on the first time. It was pretty snug even before the friction lever was closed, and those mounting studs are hard to work by hand.

You're 100% sure the tube is milspec?

6. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Ive never had a problem w/ a CTR or ACS, which have the same set-up, using a screw driver to assist coaxing the studs into compliance.

I too am wondering if the extension is the correct diam. I wonder if its not the locking mech. but its the stock jammed up on the extension. I dont know how tight it would get but it possibly could be tight enough you'll need to put it in a vise.

7. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

I thought that it was, but I'm going to double check for sure.

8. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

Inspection FAIL on my part. Sure enough, I have a commercial tube. So, on that note.....would anyone like to purchase a fully functional CTR milspec stock?

9. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I believe Magpul will swap it out for a commercial size if you contact CS. Maybe a better move is to get a milspec tube, up to you...

ETA:
    I also thought Stag used milspec diameter but guess anything can happen. Might be worth a call to Stag. If they say it's milspec on their site they should make it right.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  10. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Once again Ill agree w/ Quentin. Id swap out the extension instead of the stock.

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Yeah it would bother me that I bought a rifle with a claim of the milspec size receiver then buy the proper CTR only to find out the original claim was not true. I'd run this by Stag first - and if they agree to replace the tube, have them also replace their original stock for milspec size too in case you ever go back to their M4 stock.

12. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

I bought the lower several years ago, so I wonder how that would work. Hmmm....

I posted the stock on GB. I may just buy the commercial version.

13. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

Can a commercial tube simply be swapped for a milspec or vice versa? Isn't the threading different?

14. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Threads in the lower are the same so you can use either tube. Simple swap unless they gooped up the threads with loctite, etc.

Anyway, it's up to you. The commercial CTR will work but if it were me I'd keep the milspec CTR and fix the extension instead.

15. jgand72

jgand72 New Member

I thought Stags came with mil-spec tubes?

16. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Pretty sure Stag does now but this one was bought a while back. Guess it never hurts to contact them.

Since either the CTR or extension has to be swapped this is another reason to go to the smaller size, to upgrade to Stag's current spec.

17. goldspurs09

goldspurs09 New Member

How I removed a mil spec MOE stock from a commercial tube
    [ame]http://youtu.be/ZnnOaniXBT4[/ame]

18. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

I have a general practice of purchasing and installing the buttstock as an assembly, with the tube, buffer, spring, spanner nut, etc. Less likely to have issues such as this. I know at this point it's like hindsight being 20/20, but it comes from lessons learned. I had an issue a while back where I got the stock (Magpul CTR) from one source, and the rest from someone else. The fit was so tight I ended up taking a wire wheel on my drill press to the stock for a few seconds, then greasing the stock up to get the stock to slide back and forth smoothly. I told the supplier,and they no longer buy from that vendor. I decided at that point it wasn't worth the money I saved to buy the stock separate from the rest of the assembly.