Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was considering getting one of these but unsure if I could handle the kick. I have shot the 45-70 out of a rifle and the biggest caliber I have shot out of a pistol is the 454 casull. I'm wondering if anyone on here in the Houston area has one and if so if it would be ok that we go to the gun range and shoot it. thanks

·
Proud to be an American
3,517 Posts
What are you trying to prove? Why would you need one? The .454 is a stout round is it your desire to prove you can handle more? I'm just curious because I cannot imagine why given your location what need you would have?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just wanted it for when I’m hiking or hunting in grizzly or brown bear country as a back up if I can’t get to my rifle

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
If you can handle a shotgun shooting SG's, Buckshot or even slugs you'll be able to handle a 45/70.
Handgun wise if you can handle a Casull you won't have a problem with a 45/70.
As usual practice will be your friend.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
What are you trying to prove? Why would you need one? The .454 is a stout round is it your desire to prove you can handle more? I'm just curious because I cannot imagine why given your location what need you would have?
Mastering a powerful handgun is a challenge. I have a S&W 500 that I didn't "need." I don't hunt; it's just fun. Besides, it makes other calibers feel like 38 Specials.

·
Administrator
26,138 Posts
For ANY defensive firearm, I usually ask the question-m "If I miss on the first shot, how long will it take me to get back on target for a second shot?"

If the time includes searching in the grass to find the gun that went flying after the 1st shot- that one is probably not a good candidate.

While the .50 BMG is a real snappy number, it is probably not for me unless I am being attacked by a Stuka.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have a TC/Contender ...a 12"Hunter Bbl. With multi -port muzzle tamer. It is chambered in 45-70 Govt. It is brutal with some factory loadings.
I hunted wild Boar , & shot a hog that stopped for a few seconds. A 60 yd. Shot by pacing it off ( I am 6'1")
It would not have been possible without practicing a lot, using handloaded ammo.
I would think that a revolver shot that much, would be a lot looser, from the recoil, perhaps even out of timing.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was also thinking I would probably only put a box or two thru it until I was proficient and then when hiking/camping/hunting wouldn’t use it unless surprised by a bear. And would probably only shoot it a handful of times between outings

·
Banned
16,157 Posts
I was also thinking I would probably only put a box or two thru it until I was proficient and then when hiking/camping/hunting wouldn’t use it unless surprised by a bear. And would probably only shoot it a handful of times between outings
I am not being critical of your choice, or try to tell you to buy something else, but personally, I think there are much better and capable choices than the revolver you have chosen, for the very reason you have chosen it.

a revolver in 44 Magnum, or 454 Casull would be much more practical, and more than capable round for the possible intended purpose of a stray bear. many people in Alaska carry either with complete confidence, and bears in that part of the country are sometimes daily occurrences.

as mentioned by Mr. C3, what if you need a follow-up shot? can you get one off with that pistol? that to me would be a very important question to ask yourself.

if the revolver was simply for range shooting, to step up to something bigger, for the bragging rights. (trust me, I know this, from shooting with my father and brother!) or for deer hunting with a pistol, I wouldn't try to convince you of looking at something that migh be a better option or more practical.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Personally, I would rather have a DA revolver for bear defense instead of a SA. I love SAs and all, but in the heat of the moment, your thumb could miss or slip off the hammer. With a DA, your trigger finger will not slip off the trigger.

·
Banned
16,157 Posts
Personally, I would rather have a DA revolver for bear defense instead of a SA. I love SAs and all, but in the heat of the moment, your thumb could miss or slip off the hammer. With a DA, your trigger finger will not slip off the trigger.
most excellent point Maser. something for the OP to give some consideration.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Those are good points. I originally wanted the smith and Wesson 454 casull then I was leaning toward the smith and Wesson 460 magnum that way I would have the option of shooting the 454 casull or the 460 then a friend told me about this 45-70. I’m not ready to buy anything yet I just like to do a lot of research first.

·
Banned
16,157 Posts
research is good. best thing to do before putting your hard-earned money on the counter. and the smart thing is to do it before you buy, and analyze the good and the bad points.

I think by the time you get near to buying, and reading the replies on this thread, you will be much more informed consumer!

Reactions: EclecticShooter

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Dallas53 is 100% spot on with the research statement. All us knuckleheads here are gonna do nothing but give our own personal opinions and experience, but you yourself are gonna be different. We are all different when it comes to our preferences and probably the worst thing you can do is bet your life on a gun you're not comfortable with shooting. It's fine using your real life friends or us FT members for ideas, but in the end it is YOU that decides what gun is best for YOU. So yeah, do research, get advice, and most importantly test different guns out and see what works best for you.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dallas53 is 100% spot on with the research statement. All us knuckleheads here are gonna do nothing but give our own personal opinions and experience, but you yourself are gonna be different. We are all different when it comes to our preferences and probably the worst thing you can do is bet your life on a gun you're not comfortable with shooting. It's fine using your real life friends or us FT members for ideas, but in the end it is YOU that decides what gun is best for YOU. So yeah, do research, get advice, and most importantly test different guns out and see what works best for you.

That was my plan. Get opinions from this forum and friends and in the end buy what I wanted I was just hoping someone close had one I could shoot.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts