Magnum Research 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Ruzai, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

[​IMG]

Personally I thought their Desert Eagle was a great gun, but it just gets a bad rep for being the gun of choice for many with an *ahem" size issue..:rolleyes:
    I'd like to own one in 44 magnum just for the fun of it, but do they think it gives them any right for such advertising like this?
    Have any of you seen this new 1911 from MRI? They seem a bit conceeded about the 1911 being around for such a long time and it being "worthy" of their name finally. I'm ok with the company dipping into the 1911 wine cabinet (because we all know it isn't Koolaid :D ) but I'm a little irritated they are on their high-horse while doing it.

What do yall think?

2. FIGHTorFLIGHT

FIGHTorFLIGHT New Member

I think its just marketing...I wouldn't get all wrapped around the axle about it. Its a pretty nice looking gun, I would like to see how one will shoot.

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

It reminds me of the Taurus ad that claimed you got a "$2100 gun for only $600". Depends on what features it has and where they price it...

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Kudos for them finally figuring how to get the safety off the slide!

5. glock2740

glock2740 New Member

That ad is a little irritating to some 1911 fans. If it was the most accurate and reliable factory 1911 on the market, that ad might be OK. But I doubt very seriously, that it will compare any better or even as good as it's competition in the same price range. We'll see how it shoots. Personally I think the roll mark is kind of tacky looking. And doesn't even come with a checkered frontstrap?

6. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

Yeah, fer real. :D

It just seems to be a side thought for the company in my opinion. Like they didnt really put much thought into the gun other than a roll-mark. It looks like they have Kimber style sights which would be nice if they were... The other add-ons arent all that "custom" besides the skelotonized hammer.
    Been trying not to be overly judgemental of the gun because of the marketing. Just kind of think it comes out on the low end of cost-effective in my mind for a 1911.

7. General-Logic

General-Logic New Member

LOL @ Magnum Research for being so full of themselves to claim the 1911 has "earned" their brand. Presumptuous and conceited. Their 44 Deagles are very fun to shoot however.

My PT1911 has all those features AND a checkered trigger guard AND a checkered front strap.

8. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Seen a few on gunbroker with a 725.00 Buy now on them. Some as high as 750.00. I haven't shot one yet to know if they are any good.

9. crockett007

crockett007 New Member

OK, soapbox........

Back in the day, I purchased an alloy frame .357 DE. The serial number was very low, one of the few guns available new to the market at the time ...1980 something. This pistol was a jam-o-matic from the first magazine. I returned it to Magnum Research twice, used jacketed bullets only, factory ammunition etc. FTE, FTF........

Therefore, and I realize this is personal preference, I will never own another Magnum Research product moving forward, no matter what the flavor. I have a friend with a .44 DE that runs great. I know this is a prejudicial point of view, but........I only get burned once.

I'll save my money for a Colt, Kimber etc....I currently own 1911's from both and they are excellent pistols. Yes, they have haters and issues across the boards, but these companies and thier product has never disappointed me.

venting over....:rolleyes:

10. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

Come on cane you got to test it for us. If you use your mod status I,m sure they will send you one to test. You are our 1911 guru.

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

If nothing else, get the gun and send it to me. I will give a complete range report (after long term usage).

12. glock2740

glock2740 New Member

Where's the connection between these two posts? :confused:

13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Okay, I went to the Magnum Research website and the pistol is nothing special for an MSRP of $799.00

I mean, they claim "tight tolerances" but they don't say anything about what those tolerances are.

They have fixed sights, which I like, but they are not night sights ( which I prefer and everyone else on this board hates :rolleyes: ). It would appear that the sights are dovetailed, which is common, however there are probably several dozen types of dovetailed 1911 sights out there, so who the hell knows?!

Nothing says what the damn thing is made of. :mad: At 2.261 pounds, it would LEAD me to believe the frame and slide are both made of steel, but who's steel!?

For a very arrogant marketing campaign, I feel that they are going to turn off a generous portion of the prospective buyers because their weapon is pretty plain Jane.

JD

14. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Whomever came up with the marketing scheme needs to be flogged publicly and then fired in a kiln. If they wanted to target the DE fans, fine. Say your DE maker is now producing 1911's. If they wanted to target 1911 fans, then they missed the bullseye...hell, they missed the paper. I have no problem with any manufacturer getting into any platform they want. But, when they cross into that area of huge consumer numbers, they should never make it seem like a tried, true and long standing platform has finally proven itself to earn the name of their platform.

Epic fail marketing.

Still, could be a good shooter. Only time will tell....

15. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

They will get sales due to the Desert Eagle name, just as they did with the Baby Desert Eagle.
    That thing is nothing like a Desert Eagle, is this produced by IWI/IMI or is this Magnum Research?
    Why not just have it as a Magnum Research 1911?

Again they are just trying to capitalize on the Desert Eagle Name.

16. unknownhero82

unknownhero82 New Member

i say we get as many 1911 fans to complain to them about the route of advertising they took lol....it should read something more like "and we have finally proven ourselves lucky and fortunate enough to be allowed to produce 1911s" :D but that's just my opinion lol

17. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

IMI/IWI and Magnum Research are the same company essientially..
    Magnum Research is their American name for the most part, they accept all the imports from the actual headquarters of IMI/IWI from what I understand.

18. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

From what I understood all the IWI/IMI importing was being done with Charles Daly, Now being marketed as the Jericho. At least the Baby Desert Eagles.
    :confused:
    Still not impressed with just using the name to drum up sales just as with the Baby Deagles, they have nothing in Common with the Desert Eagle.
    I always thought the Desert eagle was a Desert Eagle.

I don't know it's late and I am tired.:D

19. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

This is not correct. Magum Research is an American company, IWI (Formerly IMI) is an Israeli company.

The Desert Eagle is a joint venture between the two companies, designed by Magnum Research, manufactured by IWI, and then imported by Magnum Research. All intellectual property rights to the design are owned by Magnum Research.

The Jericho 941 is designed and manufactured by IWI, and was imported by Magnum Research and marketed as the "Baby Eagle" until 2008. From 2008-2009, it was imported by KBI Inc, which is now out of business.

Other than those two designs, they are separate companies.

20. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

:eek: Someone actually knows what the hell is happening between them?
    I'd been asking anyone who might know whats been going on between all those companies and everyone gave me an answer about as clear as muddy stump water. Thanks for the correction Bluesky.