Magnifier and open red dots?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by armed1212, Oct 3, 2013.

1. armed1212

armed1212 New Member

So was thinking on getting a magnifier to put behind my truglo open red dot sight ? Will it work? I cant afford a eotech so trying to work wit wat I got ... Advise pls

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Depends on the red dot. Parallax can be an issue. I used a Leapers/Utg fts magnifier with my eotech. It worked great and I think it was like $60.

3. armed1212

armed1212 New Member

This is the sight I am using. Will a magnifier linen up wit it?

ForumRunner_20131006_220347.jpg

4. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

Depends on the magnifier. Im guessing youll go with a primary arms or strikemark magnifier since you bought the truglo red dot, and I know the flip to side mount for the primary arms is a lower 1/3 cowitness. It really depends on the mount though. Is the red dot an absolute cowitness with your irons?

5. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

But to be honest, I would upgrade my optic before I looked at magnifiers.

At least something mid level.

6. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I'd recommend you get ahold of a magnifier and think out the amount of space it'll occupy on your gun combined with the red dot. It can turn into a heavy, bulky, cluttered mess.

I have one of the Primary Arms 3X maginifers that came free with an EoTech I bought. Never even considered installing it when saw how much real estate such a contraption would occupy.

How much magnification do you want? For $120-180 you can get into a Vortex Strikefire or Sparc. Both come with screw-in 2X magnifiers. They aren't great, but they're functional. The Vortex scopes themselves are excellent quality for the price, however.

For more magnification on a budget, I'd look at a traditional scope...Nikon's ProStaff series is pretty solid for $150 or so.

7. armed1212

armed1212 New Member

Hey u trying to say in cheap cause I bought a 50dollar optic for my 1000dollar rra ar..... Kinda maybe... I know it cheap but I jus got married 5months ago n bought our first home last month... So money tight. I was thinking about the nikon p223 if I can hind the fact I jus spend 150 on a 'toy' as my new wife would say.. Ideas

8. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

Hey man Im right there with ya haha just got married in December of 2012. Luckily I said screw it and bought my most expensive things before we got married. Ive got a vortex strikefire that comes with a 2X, not the best but it would cost about what a decent magnifier would and you would get both. Maybe try that?

9. austin92

austin92 New Member

Most painful posts to read award goes to this man

10. LandMonster

LandMonster New Member

I had a magnifier that did not line up perfectly with my red dot. It was about 1/8" lower. It still worked fine.

I ended up selling it thinking I was going to put a 3x scope on, but I really like the dot. Now I want to get another one for the range.

I would consider the Primary Arms a good bet. Their long eye relief 3x (LER) is probably their best, but you can get one of their regular models on the ar15.com equipment exchange for under $90 if you are patient and check the board often.

11. armed1212

armed1212 New Member

Ok, any thoughts on a bushnell trophy 1x32 scope?

12. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

They are ok. I have one of the Bushnell TRS 25 red dots. Primary Arms has mounts for them that would allow you to use a magnifier in the future. Good little optic, and sometimes you can find them on sale or on amazon for under $100. It is smaller than the 1x32 that you are looking at, which will keep weight down as well as preserve some of the rail real estate.

I was once a young newly wed with a gun habit. I found that I just had to save a little longer sometimes to get what I wanted. (I learned teh hard way though by sometimes rushing into a budget item, only to replace it later when that money could have just been applyed to the later purchase/upgrade). I'm not calling you cheap by any means, just saying I've been where you are at.

13. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

I have the strikefire, the 2x magnifier helps a little, but the farther out you get the more your 'dot' is going to obscure target center. At a couple hundred yards, the dot covers an area about 12x12 inches. So that's really where you will find your accuracy limitations IMHO

14. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

I would rethink this. Holograph/Red Dot AND a Magnifier. After done you've spent around $300 for both, and may still not like one or the other.

Why not go with a nice 1-4x(?) or a 1-6x(?) Illuminated Scope and you have both a Illuminated Sight AND adjustable Magnification in one, for $300 or less. Bushnell Throwdown, Primary Arms, Leupold Hog, and a few others. Just use a QD Mount and you're back to Iron Sights or using another Dot Sight if needed, in a matter of Seconds.

Del

15. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

You could get a quick detach mount for the Tru-glo that you already have and a scope with a quick detach mount, and swap as needed. Not fancy or expensive, but I've used a UTG mount (I know UTG has a reputation for making crap, but their little riser mount is cheap and has returned to zero on a rifle that I was experimenting with. Not a bad option for the Tru Glo that you have.

16. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Consider the Leupold Fire Dot 1.5-4x compact. It has a red dot in crosshairs. At 1.5x for all purposes it is a legit red dot sight. It is not cheap, especially on a LaRue QD mount, but does everything for me in one piece.

17. NativH

NativH New Member

I had the V3 version of that scope on my Winchester 416 Rem Mag using QD mounts and it was an outstanding scope. Had that rifle for the grizzly hunt that got canceled and felt totally at ease going up against North America's biggest and baddest with that scope on that rifle. I would take another Leupold Fire Dot any day for any rifle. ;)