Magnesium alloy lower

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by luckyj, Feb 1, 2013.

1. luckyj

luckyj New Member

Anyone have any experience with these? It's supposedly stronger than aluminum but weighs about 3oz less. I just ordered one and it should be here Tuesday.

2. jasrrt

jasrrt New Member

ordered from where?

3. luckyj

luckyj New Member

Whittaker guns out of Kentucky. They had a shipment of 200 come in today. It is also stronger than steel. I got it for 195 shipped.

4. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Sounds pretty aweosme to me :)

5. grichardt

grichardt New Member

Yea these are built in my hometown and pretty much whitakers is the only one the are selling them with.

Search mag tactical and it will pop up. I got one local for 169.99

6. luckyj

luckyj New Member

Yeah apparently they are brand new on the market so there is not a lot of reviews for them. I figured for that price, I would be Willing to test it out! To my knowledge, that material is very expensive to work with so I was surprised to see it at that price. MAG Tactical is a new company and I assume they are selling it at that price to get their name out there. I'm excited to try it out. Now if I can just find an LPK to go with it! Thought about just taking apart one of my other ARs to use it. I really like the fact that it is so lightweight.

7. luckyj

luckyj New Member

They are in Indiana? Is that right?

8. grichardt

grichardt New Member

Yea, there is a guy on my local car forum that works for the shop that makes them. He posted about trying to do a group buy but would take months. He makes them and it took him 3 months to get one.

Picture of the role mark has Newburgh, IN on it. Makes me much more satisfied knowing it was created under 2 miles from my house.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  9. luckyj

luckyj New Member

Cool man. Get them to hook you up!

10. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Magnesium has been used for many years by automotive wheel makers. By weight is stronger than AL.

Its also more expensive than AL. But it does have a very interesting property, magnesium is highly combustible. Albeit the tempuratue to ignite it very high, but still once you get it going..........

11. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Many bicycle frames use an aluminum and magnesium alloy to increase strength and lower weight. Also if you got stuck and needed to start a fire you could file some off the frame and get a fire going.

12. luckyj

luckyj New Member

Haha. That's the first thing I thought before I bought it. A quick google search revealed that magnesium alloy is not combustible.

13. luckyj

luckyj New Member

Exactly. I like for my equipment to be multi-purpose! :cool:

14. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Not true. Magnesium AND aluminum are both metal fuels used in the pyrotechnic industry. An alloy of the 2 also is a fuel. Either one makes some wicked compositions you DO NOT want to fool around with if you have no experience.

But, as an experiment, go buy one of those firestarters you scrape with a knife, file or scrape some off, and light it. Then, pour some water on it. Carefully, while standing back!

15. luckyj

luckyj New Member

I have several of the magnesium fire starters. They certainly come in handy when going camping.

If my lower begins approaching the 1300* Fahrenheit mark, then I will be concerned. Hopefully by that point I will have already dropped it! Lol

16. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Oh, I would hope so! Although, I am not suggesting you have anything to worry about. I definitely would not mind having one of those lowers myself. But think about it......in an emergency, you could scrape some off, and start a fire! Maybe they should add a little for just this purpose, huh?:cool:

17. AR10

AR10 New Member

On a small part like a lower, no weight reduction gain will be noticeable once on the whole riffle.

On a whole magnesium rifle, with a chrome steel lined mag barrel, that would be a serious weight loss.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013