Firearms Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with these? It's supposedly stronger than aluminum but weighs about 3oz less. I just ordered one and it should be here Tuesday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whittaker guns out of Kentucky. They had a shipment of 200 come in today. It is also stronger than steel. I got it for 195 shipped.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Yea these are built in my hometown and pretty much whitakers is the only one the are selling them with.

Search mag tactical and it will pop up. I got one local for 169.99
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
grichardt said:
Yea these are built in my hometown and pretty much whitakers is the only one the are selling them with.

Search mag tactical and it will pop up. I got one local for 169.99
Yeah apparently they are brand new on the market so there is not a lot of reviews for them. I figured for that price, I would be Willing to test it out! To my knowledge, that material is very expensive to work with so I was surprised to see it at that price. MAG Tactical is a new company and I assume they are selling it at that price to get their name out there. I'm excited to try it out. Now if I can just find an LPK to go with it! Thought about just taking apart one of my other ARs to use it. I really like the fact that it is so lightweight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
grichardt said:
Yea these are built in my hometown and pretty much whitakers is the only one the are selling them with.

Search mag tactical and it will pop up. I got one local for 169.99
They are in Indiana? Is that right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Yea, there is a guy on my local car forum that works for the shop that makes them. He posted about trying to do a group buy but would take months. He makes them and it took him 3 months to get one.


Picture of the role mark has Newburgh, IN on it. Makes me much more satisfied knowing it was created under 2 miles from my house.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,494 Posts
Magnesium has been used for many years by automotive wheel makers. By weight is stronger than AL.

Its also more expensive than AL. But it does have a very interesting property, magnesium is highly combustible. Albeit the tempuratue to ignite it very high, but still once you get it going..........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,799 Posts
Many bicycle frames use an aluminum and magnesium alloy to increase strength and lower weight. Also if you got stuck and needed to start a fire you could file some off the frame and get a fire going.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
AgentTikki said:
Magnesium has been used for many years by automotive wheel makers. By weight is stronger than AL.

Its also more expensive than AL. But it does have a very interesting property, magnesium is highly combustible. Albeit the tempuratue to ignite it very high, but still once you get it going..........
Haha. That's the first thing I thought before I bought it. A quick google search revealed that magnesium alloy is not combustible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SSGN_Doc said:
Many bicycle frames use an aluminum and magnesium alloy to increase strength and lower weight. Also if you got stuck and needed to start a fire you could file some off the frame and get a fire going.
Exactly. I like for my equipment to be multi-purpose! :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,015 Posts
magnesium alloy is not combustible.
Not true. Magnesium AND aluminum are both metal fuels used in the pyrotechnic industry. An alloy of the 2 also is a fuel. Either one makes some wicked compositions you DO NOT want to fool around with if you have no experience.

But, as an experiment, go buy one of those firestarters you scrape with a knife, file or scrape some off, and light it. Then, pour some water on it. Carefully, while standing back!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
clr8ter said:
Not true. Magnesium AND aluminum are both metal fuels used in the pyrotechnic industry. An alloy of the 2 also is a fuel. Either one makes some wicked compositions you DO NOT want to fool around with if you have no experience.

But, as an experiment, go buy one of those firestarters you scrape with a knife, file or scrape some off, and light it. Then, pour some water on it. Carefully, while standing back!
I have several of the magnesium fire starters. They certainly come in handy when going camping.

If my lower begins approaching the 1300* Fahrenheit mark, then I will be concerned. Hopefully by that point I will have already dropped it! Lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,015 Posts
If my lower begins approaching the 1300* Fahrenheit mark, then I will be concerned. Hopefully by that point I will have already dropped it!
Oh, I would hope so! Although, I am not suggesting you have anything to worry about. I definitely would not mind having one of those lowers myself. But think about it......in an emergency, you could scrape some off, and start a fire! Maybe they should add a little for just this purpose, huh?:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,264 Posts
On a small part like a lower, no weight reduction gain will be noticeable once on the whole riffle.

On a whole magnesium rifle, with a chrome steel lined mag barrel, that would be a serious weight loss.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top