Magazines

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by tenntyrant, Feb 19, 2012.

1. tenntyrant

tenntyrant New Member

I am going to order a couple of new mags for my Springfield 1911 a1 and have decided on getting the Tripp cobra. My question is should I get the 7 or the 8? I am wondering how the 8 rounders will look, do they stick out a long way or pretty flush like the 7 rounder would.

2. rugerjazzkohai

rugerjazzkohai New Member

If u have a full size government frame, the 8 rounders will be flush.

3. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I have a novak 8-rounder for my rock island full size, it sticks out the bottom of the mag well but has a grip extension on it, it only sticks out a 1/2 to 3/4 inch so its not an issue. Im not familar with the brand your buying but it think a single stack 8-rounder in .45 acp would be the same as mine

4. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Heres a pic, the 7-rounder is flush btw

ForumRunner_20120219_202625.jpg

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Call Aaron @ Tripp (877.837.9445) and tell him what gun you have and he will tell you the best mag for your situation.

If you have a mag-well or using your gun in competition, you will want to have drop pads on the base.

[​IMG]

If you want GI type mags go with the welded floor mags.

[​IMG]

Tripp also has an alloy base option that looks/works great for my Colt with the S&A Mag-guide.

[​IMG]

6. tenntyrant

tenntyrant New Member

Ok I have not orders any mags yet but I want to , I want to get some that are flush like the stock ones but would like to have 8 rounders. I am just a little confused as to which ones to get.

7. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Good looking gun I have a sig n cost around a grand. What you pay for yours, half way tempted to buy one and turn it into the punisher

8. tenntyrant

tenntyrant New Member

Just ordered one Tripp cobra 8 rounder for my springfield 1911. Want to try one out if it works good I'm gonna get a few more but they are expensive.

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

When purchasing mags, quality is very important.

Yes, you could go to a military clearing house and pick up some inexpensive mags (let's say 5 mags for $7.00 each = $35.00).
    By the time you sort out the bad ones, you're down to 1 mag. In my book, that makes the 1 mag worth $35.00 + the time you wasted.

In my thinking, $35.00 for a quality mag is worth it. (I've paid over $125.00 for 1 mag before).

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

What's your life worth? $35 seams like a bargain for my carry gun!

11. tenntyrant

tenntyrant New Member

I agree with that I ordered the 8 rounder but they were on back order so I went with a 7 rounder I think I may try a few different brands to see which I like best. Would Wilson's be good ones to try and what about mec gar?

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I've tried them all and after the Tripp's I have never looked back.

From an earlier post;

By a magnitude!

[​IMG]

From L to R; Tripp Cobra, Wilson 47DOXB, Wilson ETM 500B, Tripp Cobra

Find the weld on the Tripp.

[​IMG]

From L to R; Wilson 47DOXB, Wilson ETM 500B, Tripp Cobra

[​IMG]

Notice the fluid stampings of the Tripp mag on the left and right. The .45 case head sits square against the back wall of the Tripp mag, the Wilson is rounded and forces the round forward when it presents for stripping. AND, the Tripp mag feed lips are CNC finished.

[​IMG]

This photo shows the slide stop interface. The Tripp mag on the bottom uses a hybrid follower with a metal interface where the Wilson on top uses a poly follower interface. The Wilson shows witness-marks where the slide stop engages the mag when empty. This mag is six month old and speaks volumes as to this critical area.

As a retired engineer, this is how my mind works while looking at new products. When a company makes guns and mags that go into them, the mag becomes an area where they can cut production costs. When the company only makes mags, their entire R&D budget is used on mags. Think about that!

If your 1911 mags have poly followers be sure to check them each time you load. Should this area wear out, your slide will not lock open when empty!

You asked Dave, and I answered with the reasons why I only use Tripp Gen II Cobras for carry!

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

The WC ETM's still "oil-can" and have a poly slide stop interface. Call Aaron @ Tripp (877.837.9445) and order one Gen II Cobra Mag. Put the two side by side and tell me Bill Wilson builds a mag anywhere near the quality of Virgil Tripps!

14. tenntyrant

tenntyrant New Member

I have a Tripp cobra 7 rounder on the way they said it shipped today can't wait to get it in.

15. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

Got 2, (8R-45-RG) Magazine 1911 coming

Well I haven't had any issues with the Shooting Star magazines from CMC but I thought I'd give these a try if Canebrake endorses them they must be the best:D

16. jamesb

jamesb New Member

I ordered two of the Tripp 7 rd flush mags for my Dan Wesson as well as two of their 7 rd upgrade kits for my two current Checkmate mags. I got flush for carry. It is a range or HD pistol i'd go with the 8 rounders with basepads.

17. REDTAIL

REDTAIL Member

I bought 2 Tripp 7 round mags for my 1911 gun.? And I glued some black leather bumpers on the bottom of them & they work great.? I also bought a couple of 7 round mag kit's from Virgil Tripp.?So that I can change the parts in my other mags to work like the Tripp mags with these kits.?