Magazines

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by rockratt, Nov 7, 2013.

1. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I am sure this has been covered already but I didn't want to spend the time to look for it and if it has I do apologize......:)

I have been carrying my Remington 1911 R1 S as my CCW since the XDS is still at SA. I have the 2 mags that came with the gun but have come to the conclusion 2 is not enough. My questions are how many is enough and who makes a good quality mag for a 1911????? Thank you.

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know how many are enough, but you can never have too many.

3. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

No such thing as a "spare" mag in a gunfight!

Lol anyways in the civilian world mags still won't last forever,I usually keep at least 5 or 6 per handgun with the exception of my p938,of which I have three.

Wilson,Tripp Research (my fav),and chip McCormick seem to be the Go-To's of most serious 1911 fanatics.

4. rockratt

Was wondering about Wilsons because they are about 15 miles from here. Like to keep my dollars local if I can. Thanks!!!!

5. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 New Member

Id like to try a few of the Wilson's. I mostly use the Kimber tac-pro mags, no issues so far in 2 different pistols. $30 apiece tho.

6. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Tripp Cobra, don't go cheap on SD mags.

Attached Files:

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The magazine is the Achilles heel of the semi-auto.

Go for the best you can buy (the brands have been listed).

8. austin92

austin92 New Member

My factory 1911 mag compared to Willson combat is light years apart. I feel like the 15+1 I carry n my m&p is plenty but and extra never hurts

9. Donn

Donn Active Member

To the question, Wilson Combat mags for my 45acp, Kimbers for my 38 Super. I know this is a rhetorical question, and I fully expect to get beaten up for asking it, (again). You've got two mags, 14 +1 rounds of 45acp, arguably the Holy Grail of SD ammo. How much more do you figure you need?

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I normally carry a total of three mags.

But whether you carry a total of 2 or 3, the idea of having one good extra magazine in the gun storage area is a good idea.

11. rockratt

You will not be beaten up by me and if this turned into a bash because of someones views I would have the mods take it down....The choice of what to carry and how much is up to each individual and he or she should never be faulted for that. Just because it is not what I do or would do doesn't mean it is wrong. Ya I know there are some on here that can't comprehend that...

I agree with you for most instances but what led me to my conclusion is this, when I leave the house I carry both 1911 mags(one in the gun and the other in a mag carrier) but most mag carriers will hold 2 mags and in the otherside I usually stick an XDS mag for spare ammo and a lot of the time I throw another XDS mag in an empty pocket. If I am going to do that I need to buy mags that fit the gun and get this over with. Also after watching the motorcycle bash video you just never know...

Beautiful weather were having isn't it......:)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  12. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

I have used Tripp and Wilson. Both have been perfect. And you can never have too many mags or too much ammo.

13. Mouser

Mouser Member

I bought extra Wilson mags for my 1911s and have absolutely no complaints...big thumbs up. You just cant go wrong with wilson