magazine storage full, 1/2 full or empty?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by simigreg, Feb 20, 2009.

1. simigreg

simigreg New Member

What is the best way to store magazines? I wish to have them ready for self-defense, but also do not want to shorten the spring life. Will storing them full shorten the life of the magazine spring? :confused:

2. Shotgun Shooter

Shotgun Shooter New Member

By having a magazine full and stored, it wont reduce the spring life.

S.S.

3. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

The thing that shortens the mag spring life is constant loading and unloading. Simple principle of metal fatigue. I wouldn't worry about keeping your mags fully loaded all the time.

4. WDB

WDB New Member

Keep them loaded it will have no effect on the spring.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Extended storage of fully loaded mags is not a problem with modern era springs.

Not so much with WWII vintage mags. If you have some old surplus mags you may want to re-spring them. The older springs were produced with quantity as job 1, no quality or modern science involvement!

6. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

You need a revolver...

Seriously though, most quality modern magazines will work perfectly even after long periods fully loaded. Just to be on the safe side, you can buy new springs every two years or so.

7. choctaw

choctaw New Member

:D Hold on BG, I've got to load my mag, didn't want to compress my springs ya know.......OK, you ready now, lets go. :eek:

8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

All my mags stay loaded 24/7 untill I go to the range then I unload them and reload them when I get to the range and they have worked fine for 8 years.

9. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

What I do is keep them loaded with 1 less than full capacity. It might not be the same as what everybody else does, but is just MY screwy ways. I also have several magazines loaded in this way too.

10. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

I'm the same way with my magazines.

11. paul

paul New Member

magazine storage

A partial loaded mag. say 4rds in a 7rd mag, is harder on the spring than loaded full, so I'm told by the gunsmith where I go. Also, other IPSC members have said the same. I load mine full, minus 1 rd, it's chambered, and secure handgun for use. I don't like leaving a mag full and forgeting about it. I check mine everyweek if using for homeprotection and leaving rounds in it. Always have a spare mag (full) beside it. Just precautions using a autolader. A revolver, and you won't need to be concerned about those magazine issues. That's what I prefer for home protection anyhow. Just a good 'ole .38
    charter arms. I have 2 with speedloaders, no springs there, ;)

12. NGIB

NGIB New Member

This has been covered a zillion times but I'll do it again.

Mag springs only wear from compression AND decompression cycles.

Mags can be left loaded or unloaded for as long as you want with no harm done...

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

No........

14. paul

paul New Member

magazine storage/ full or partial?

A zillion and one times now. A little redundancy is good, that's how lessons are taught in the military right, right? :D We've been refering to stack magazines so far, was tubular magazines, they use springs, an issue too?

15. Cory2

Cory2 New Member

hmmm.. I remember reading on hear a year or 2 ago (it seems) about people talking about some study that was done that showed that a magazine stored in full capacity will have a significantly shorter lifespan than one stored with 1 or 2 less than full cap. Yet now everyone is saying that is incorrect... maybe i dreamed it.

16. orangello

orangello New Member

I keep a half dozen mags loaded for my XD45, but i only load to 12 rather than 13. I guess i'm paranoid.

17. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

I think you are referring to mags that hold more capacity, the train of thought and has been witnessed by myself, it is better to leave out 1-3 rounds, instead of loading to full capacity, so as to curtail any misfeeds or FTF's. Usually applies to high capacity rifle mags and some handgun mags.

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

springs dont care how far they are compressed. if your magazine has trouble feeding rounds when loaded to its designed capacity you have a bad magazine. it is the proccess of compression decrompression that wears out springs not keeping them in a compressed state. the only time ive seen magazine springs go bad while in a fully compressed state are ones that got wet and corroded the spring.

19. paul

paul New Member

magazine storage

Well Semigreg, looks like you've gotton your answer, same response basically just worded differently. A little redundancy never hurt though. :D

20. nwrednk

nwrednk New Member

"Cheap guns have Cheap springs!

My Makarov is the .380 version that I stake my life on as the Russians tend
    to "overbuild things"! My personal weapon of choice for concealed carry is the
    Russian Makarov! sure, you could "go one better" with a Whalter ppk, but it
    will cost a lot more! Even if you purchased one in 9mm Mak, it was designed
    to use .380 captured ammo ,"in a pinch"!The German .380 can fire .32
    auto & the Russian .380 can do so as well! I do not recomend this, but "If
    your life is on the line"... you might be the one that survives the firefight!!!:eek:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011