Magazine Spring Integrity

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by jasonlarue1013, Apr 17, 2012.

1. jasonlarue1013

jasonlarue1013 New Member

How long can you leave magazines fully loaded before working about spring integrity?

2. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

Indefinitely, its the constant compression and decompression that will wear the springs, not being loaded and fully compressed. I keep all my mags loaded all time, for years no problems.

3. jasonlarue1013

jasonlarue1013 New Member

Great thanks do much. Didn't think of it like that

4. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

He is correct. It's the action that weakens the spring.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

those that argue that springs wear out while they are compressed are arguing against the laws of physics. kinda like claiming objects in a vaccum fall at different rates because they are painted a certain color.

works like this:

laydown on your side stretch your leg out straight. leave it there see how tired you get after an hour. then pull your leg in and leave it bent for an hour see how tired your leg is. then straighten and bend your leg continously for an hour. which activity makes your leg the most tired??

springs work in a similar fashion. they only wear out doing repeated work or are bent beyound their designed limits. kinda like bending your leg past its comfortable range

6. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Aha, then why are tubular magazine never supposed to be fully loaded when stored?

7. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

so one is not supposed to store a shotgun fully loaded? :confused: never heard that before ... i don't know, I'd rather know I have a full load in the shotty than leave a shell out :eek:

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

For some RIFLES with tubular magazines (not all, I SAID some) leaving them loaded for a LONG time can cause the bullets to start to push back into the cartridge case. Does not hurt the spring.

Documenteted case of a 1911 that had been left with a loaded magazine for an insane period of time- well over 50 years. Testers thumbed off the safety, and fired 7 rounds without a glitch.

9. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Ding ging gin winner winner chicken dinner

10. sparky17

sparky17 New Member

I have always heard that the problem with leaving a magazine (rifle or pistol) loaded for extended periods was damage to the feed lips. The constant pressure could deform them. This would seem to be more of an issue with aluminum mags. The dust covers on p-mags supposedly prevent this by putting downward pressure on the loaded rounds. I don't know how much of an issue this is though, I have a couple of Glock mags that have been loaded (when not at the range being shot) for close to 20 years and still function flawlessly.

11. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I leave my mags loaded in everything . who the hell would want to load and unload them every outting . I wanna be ready to go when I wanna go . By the way loading mags sucks its the unloading thats the fun part ;)

12. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

its called spring set, the 1911 spring is heavier gauge because they only hold 7 or 8 rounds they are less likely to be effected as much but with lighter springs in high capacity mags can be effected by spring set.if you want to read more about it you can at www.gunsprings.com/faq

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  13. thegunman

thegunman New Member

i leave my mags loaded i will have to reconsider now or ill only leave one or two loaded for home defense.

14. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

C3: I read about some grave relocation and they found a corpse w 1911 locked and cocked. I suppose he wasnt too sure about his chances in the afterlife...:D Yes, it surprised everyone but it was taken to a gunsmith first to check out, after it cleared inspection, it was reloaded and all seven rounds went bang. I seem to recall it was a "ridiculous" amt of time as well. Was this what you were referring to ?