Magazine safety luv em hate em

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by JonM, Jan 30, 2011.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

the only experience i have with them is my bersa pistols. my thunder plus i cant easily disable it wish i could but the regular thunder i can and have. if they had a heel release i wouldnt worry too much about it but ive had a few instances of inadvertant mag drops where the release got depressed inadvertantly and partialy released the mag.

what are your thoughts on em.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

An answer in search of a question. Hate em.

3. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Hate em. Always disable mine.

4. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

I can't stand mag disconnect safetys. I always disable all mine too.

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I don't know about other pistols, but two out of three of the Hi Powers I've owned had them. They're nasty. Their removal greatly improved the triggers.

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I hate em. I disable and use the firearm only on the range.

7. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Detest them. Both of the S&W M&Ps I owned had them and it soured me on the platform. I remember searching for instructions on how to disable them and found nothing so I just got rid of the guns...

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

The Top Request(s), BAR NONE, for any Hi Power user that comes through the shop. Remove the disconnect and touch up the trigger.

Hate them. Hate the idea behind them and I agree with C3 in it being a solution looking for a problem.

JD

9. group17

group17 New Member

Hate would be a good word for it.

10. marshall

marshall New Member

can someone explain or show what a magazine safety is?

11. NGIB

NGIB New Member

The trigger will not function if the mag is removed. It's especially irritating on guns where you have to pull the trigger to disassemble/reassemble like the Ruger Mark III and the M&P...

12. marshall

marshall New Member

ah, i see. any specific brands that use these feature?

13. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Besides the 2 I mentioned, the most famous (or infamous) is the Browning High Power...

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

The original hi power was designed with a mag safety by request of the french govt against jmb's recomendation.

15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

To be fair the Hi Power did not go to market as designed by Sir John Browning. It was picked up midway after his passing and finished in Belgium by Dieudonné Saive for FN.

I doubt Mr. Browning would have made some of the "changes" that were made to his brainchild after it was appropriated. *sigh*

JD