Magazine reliability

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Garadex, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Garadex

Garadex New Member

I was sitting around browsing the forums and saw that some magazine are more reliable than others. For any kind of gun there are always the more reliable ones. What I want to know is what makes a magazine more reliable?

2. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I'd say spring, follower & feed lips, in that order. Anything wrong with those items & could result in feeding problems. I had a situation on a Colt mag with a McCormick follower in it, both normally good brands, where the follower was so flimsy that when the last round was fired the tab that was supposed to raise the slide stop to lock the slide open was not strong enough.

With a pistol that is picky about certain ammo, the style of feed lips can make a difference, such as tapered, straight or hybrid.

ACT mags seem to be standard for the pistols out of the Phillipines. Main complaint I've had & also read from other folks is that the top round, when fully loaded, doesn't lay at a proper angle & this results in a 'nose-dive' of the first round. Just load 7 & it's okay. One of these days, I'll do some experimenting with mine to find out why, but I suspect the feed lips.

Of course, a bad spring or one not properly installed can cause mis-feeds.

3. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

100% agree with that-
    I've had "high $ " mags that were junk, had "cheap" ones that preformed 100% 100% of the time -
    About the only way to pick a mag you'd trust your life to is USE them - Keep the ones that work- One brand may work , the next one of the same brand may not ---Just my 2 bits :eek:

4. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Yeah, the guy at my LGS said he had over 200 Colt mags & about half of them were good. The Colt mag w/McCormick follower I mentioned came with a Colt XSE pistol. Had two mags with it, but only one of them had the Colt follower & spring.

Anyway, I've just converted all my mags to have Tripp Research internals. In the process, I've also changed the 8 rounders to 7 rounders. Just from what I've read at various places, seems JMB new what he was doing when he invented the 1911. I'm sure the army would have been delighted if he'd given them a weapon that held 8+1 instead of 7+1.

P.S. Correction. I have the Tripp parts on hand, but still have two 8 round mags left. I have a Rock Island in for warranty on feeding issues & I'm keeping those two as 8 rounders until I get the pistol back & test it. Then I'll convert them to 7 rounds.

5. Thebiker

Thebiker New Member

gollygee covered what makes a magazine reliable.

For me, I find Mec-gar in my Sigs and Wilson Combat in my 1911 have been the most reliable. YMMV

6. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Thanks for the responses everyone.