Magazine Question

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by vector16, Apr 3, 2013.

1. vector16

vector16 New Member

I just got a RIA 1911 tactical, i am in the 10 wating period because CA is a commi state. The magazine it comes with is 8 rounds. I found some old 7 round 1911 mags, will those work on this gun?

2. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

Does the.magazine fit flush with the bottom of the grip?

3. vector16

vector16 New Member

I would not know I have another 7 days until I can pick the gun up from the store. Basically this was a general question if a 1911 can accept 7, 8, and 10 round mags. If I were a patient person I would just wait till I get the gun in hand and find out.

4. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

I'm about 90% sure that it can.

5. vector16

vector16 New Member

6. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I am 50% certain it will. :)

7. vector16

vector16 New Member

Can we go lower? do we have a 40% or maybe a 30%

8. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I am 96.385249% sure they will work... +- 4% CF.

9. vector16

vector16 New Member

Bltch'n, thanks ScottA

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The only difference between the 7 and 8 round mags is the follower.

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Let me tell you about a guy I know (me)....

Looking to save money when I was younger, I found what I thought was a deal on magazines.
    Old GI issue for $4 buck a pop. I bought 10 of them.

By the time I finished swapping parts, threw out the cracked ones, cleaned up the rust, and function checked what I thought was good, I had 2 mags.

So I ended up with a total of 2 mags for my $40 (or $20 a piece). At that time, quality brand mags went for $20.

I would have been time ahead if I hadn't been so cheap.

Magazines are the Achilles heel of the semi-auto handgun. When they go bad, your gun is no more than a rock. Buy the best quality mags you can, and you will have fewer problems later.

12. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

They will work. I use 8 round Chip McCormick flush mount Shooting Stars. When I got mine they were 14.00 and change. Dunno what they are now.

13. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Your gun should accept 7, 8, and 10rd government mags. Do yourself a favor and buy those of established quality. That'd be Tripp Research/Cobra, Wilson, and Chip McCormick.

Cheaping out on mags can be an expensive mistake, when the good stuff is just a few bucks more. Basically, we're talking about shoring up the most error prone aspect of your gun for an extra $10 per.

14. vector16

vector16 New Member

What about KimPro I heard those were good as well?

I do have a Glock 21 with 5 mags for HD along with a GP100 and a Glock 17 with 147 gr JHP, 12 ga and a 16ga SbS I am not too worried about HD in that aspect and being that I live in CA,unortuetly, I do not have the leagl option to carry.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  15. skimbell

skimbell New Member

They'll work fine. 7 round mags were what the 1911 was built for. The more importatnt factor is what brand they are. If they are quality mags they'll work. Junk mags will be junk if they're 7, 8 or 10 round.
    That said, individual guns vary. I usually stick with 7 round mags, I just feel that 7's plenty. Most of my 1911's run fine with the several 8 round mags that I have accumulated over the years but I have one gun, a Series 80 Colt, that runs only 7 round mags with any dependebility. I've tried 7 rounds in the 8 round mag and it seems to make a difference. I don't know if it's the spring tension in a loaded 8 round mag that the gun doesn't like or what. It just doesn't like full 8 round mags. I'm OK with that. The gun runs perfectly with 7 round mags, and as I said, I prefer good 7 round mags so I don't have much of a problem with the gun.
    YMMV

16. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Cheap is usually expensive, and cheap mags in a 1911 used for PD/HD it's almost always fatal. - cane

17. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Same here. And I agree regarding quality magazines. They make a tremendous difference.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013