Magazine help?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by BigB, Mar 8, 2014.

1. BigB

BigB New Member

With all of the different magazines out there, what is good, and what isn't? Pmags seem to be the way to go, but what other brands are good and what should I stay away from? What to look for as far as things that may cause problems if found used. I recently bought my first AR and other than the one included pmag I know I definitely need to invest in more. Thanks!

2. okdonk

okdonk New Member

So far i only use PMAGS. They work great with no issues and affordable. So i have no other reasons to use others.

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

There is nothing wrong with a GI alminum mag that a good quality spring will not fix. Wolf and Specialized armament warehouse make very good chrome silicon mag springs

4. Point6liter

Point6liter New Member

I love my pmags, and my GI mags, but recently I bought some Lancer advanced warfighter mags and I absolutely love them. So far, more than my pmags. They have been just as reliable and rugged, but the thing that puts them over the top for me is that they are translucent grey, so you can see how many rounds are left, and I think they look damn cool.

5. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

PMags are good but there are better mags out there.

Lancer advanced warfighter mags L5 are fantastic.
    (Troys are not bad either.)

If I had unlimited funds all my Mags would be Lancer L5 AWM smoke.
    they are twice the price of Pmags but boy are they nice..

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Another vote for the Lancers, excellent magazine. Still, most of my AR mags are GI then PMAG which are plenty good. I do have three Troys and they're good too.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

Gi mags are the best deal going. Only issues with gi mags is some versions and some versions of pmags have issues with running full auto on the m4 carbine. If you have a very high cyclic rate full.auto m16 you need to be careful of mag choice.

Normal.ar15's pmags lancers gi metal mags are gtg.

My pref is pmags they are easy to clean while gi mags can get a little grungy under dirty conditions and are difficult to clean. Pmags are a good mix of price quality and ease of maintenance.

8. BigB

BigB New Member

Thanks for all the suggestions! There is just so much out there it can be confusing. This gives me a good direction to head in.

9. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

So in summary;

- if you are on a budget: PMags
    - If you want something a little different but good, Troys
    - If you're a doctor or have some other a very well paying job. Lancer L5 AGW :D

10. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

There are a ton of good mags out there. I have mostly PMags, along with several Troys, Lancers, and GI mags (must be anti-tilt). All have worked well for me. Each can be found for well under $15, some are under $10 when they're on sale.

I've also generally been impressed with the performance of TangoDown, CAA, IMI, and Surefire mags. But there's no point in having a dozen different brands of mags, so I stick to the first few I mentioned.

11. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

How much?

I know my Lancers all ran me $12-16...which includes some of the 'smoke' color. Not the cheapest, but not so different from typical PMag pricing.

12. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

I wasnt able to find them for less than 18.50 for the smoked L5 AWG .
    Pmags can be found for 9 bucks on sale at times.

13. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

14. Point6liter

Point6liter New Member

Yeah I paid 10 bucks for my lancer smoke colored mags, but i think normal they are 15~ around these parts as well