Magazine for Taurus full-size 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Yunus, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Yunus

Yunus New Member

This is a link to the 1911 I own.
    Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

Am I correct in thinking that the magazine used by this is the same magazine that will fit in a standard 1911 Government model? I'm trying to find the best way to determine if a magazine will work with my gun since I won't have it with me at the gun show tomorrow and don't want to buy something that doesn't fit or doesn't work. I'm considering Tripp, and Wilson but have not ruled out any particular brand.

2. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Any "brand-name" mag made for a government-size 1911 should work for your Taurus. Stay away from the gun show special bargain types, though. If it seems the price is too good to be true....it probably is.

3. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Nice avatar Yunus. Yuk-yuk.

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

You stopped stirring??? :confused:

You have a standard 1911 with an 8 round ( plus one ) normal magazine fed system.

Tripps will work. 47D's will work. A lot of types will work. Or, I should say "should" work. Some weapons just don't like some types of magazines.

My Kimber won't feed my Nighthawk mags, but with everything else, it feeds just fine. You have to try them and see what works and what does not.

Obviously I wouldn't buy several hundred dollars worth of the same mags just because you like the name or the style. Buy one and see if it feeds correctly.

Chances are good that most high end mags will work great. But don't make them your carry mags until you run several dozen rounds through each mag without failure.

After all, it doesn't matter if you have an $8 magazine or a $50 magazine, if the damn thing doesn't feed the ammo into the chamber it doesn't matter who's name is on the buttpad.

JD

5. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Good info. From searching on here that seems to be the consensus, that most quality brands are just that but you don't know for sure until you try it. Makes sense, such tight tolerances there are bound to be slight differences even among the same make/model.

I wouldn't say I stopped stirring, but custom titles have length limits. :D

6. Destroyer219

Destroyer219 New Member

CDNN sells 1911 mag clones for practicing for only $7 bucks, which is a bargain! For anything else, Wilson Combat only :cool:

7. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Well...how was the gun show? Did you find some mags?

8. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Gun show was decent but very very crowded. Probably because most people were finally able to get out of their homes after the weather we have had and it was a good excuse to get out. I ended up not getting any magazines because I didn't see a single Tripp mag. I saw some Wilsons and some other's but they were the same price as ordering on the internet so I'm holding out until I can see and hold the Tripp in hand and determine which one I like best. I can be very picky on some things, I probably should have bought at least 1 magazine but I'm in no rush.

9. Destroyer219

Destroyer219 New Member

I got a good feeling about any shows in March....taxes! :D People need money

10. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I have a PT1911 (among others) and so fat it has not had any issue with any of the mags I have for Gov framed pistols. Most of mine are Chip McCormick but I have others I've picked up here and there. There's around 25 mags all together and all of them have been in that weapon at one time or another. So far not a problem. Great advice in earlier posts. Those great deals at the shows will usually cause you to have to spend more money later getting parts or better off replacing them. CDNN Sports sometimes has a pretty good deal on a few good brands of mags.

11. tex45acp

tex45acp New Member

I have been shooting my Taurus PT1911 AR for over a year now, using the factory mags, at the range with no problems....roughly 2000 rounds. When I get home a Wilson 47D stuffed with 230gr. Federal Hydrashok's replaces the factory mags, and two othe 47D's are kept loaded to back the first one up if need be. I have had these three magazines at the range every time I go and all three get shot as well. I only have 140 rounds through the three of them since the Hydrashoks are so expensive to shoot. I tried my sons Para GI mags and my other son's Kimber mags in the Taurus and have yet to find anything that will not work well in it.

Over the years I have diagnosed many FTF problems of friends 1911's as cheap mag problems by simply letting them use one of the Wilsons. Im sure there are others (Tripp, Shooting star, Brown, etc.) that are good mags as well...I have just always used what works for me and the WIlson 47D's have shot perfectly no matter what I load them into.

tex45acp

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  12. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Quoted for truth. I've seen bad mags cause more misery than about anything else in 1911's

@tex45acp - Did you shoot the Para GI? If so what's your opinion of it? I have picked up a couple but not shot one as if yet. I'm a pretty big Para fan and own two (LTC & P16) and was wondering how the GI Expert did compared to other comparable pistols. The fit seemed pretty good for what you pay for them.

13. NGIB

NGIB New Member

A good friend has one and I'd rank it as just OK. I much prefer the Springer Mil-Spec in this price range...

14. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Thanks for the info :)

I had looked at the specs and what I like in a Para is not on the GI (Ramped barrel) and was wondering how it did. I'm sure they feed OK as 1911's have for 100 years without the ramped barrel. I was wondering more about how it grouped out of the box. I could see making one a project pistol but I have usually leaned more to a Springer for things like that. I like my other Para guns but was a little leary about dropping the money on the GI when I can get a Mil-Spec at Buds for a little less and can drive up to get it.

Thanks again..I'd look forward to any other opinions. Though I'm pretty sure they will be about the same.

15. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

I've had great luck with Chip McCormick 8 round Shooting Star mags in my Taurus PT1911.