Firearms Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
26,573 Posts
Not uncommon for the relatively thin sheet metal of 22 mag lips to get deformed- and it does not take much. You might try "adjusting" them using thumb pressure on a smooth surface, such as a wooden dowel. Gently. Maybe just a little more. Opps, too much, back just a smidge. :eek:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not uncommon for the relatively thin sheet metal of 22 mag lips to get deformed- and it does not take much. You might try "adjusting" them using thumb pressure on a smooth surface, such as a wooden dowel. Gently. Maybe just a little more. Opps, too much, back just a smidge. :eek:
you mean by pressing the lips towards each other without tools?

·
Administrator
26,573 Posts
Yup. If I used a tool at all, it would be a bit of wood (sometimes that sheet metal can be hard on the fingers.) NOT as a stiking implement, but to press with (gently) In general, unless this is something you do a LOT, if you grab the mag with a pair of pliers, or stick it in a vice, etc, you are gonna overdo it. And then you are posting in the want ad section, looking for a replacement mag. Seriously, gently does it. When the lips get a bit deformed, it is usually very slight, and you just want it back the way it was.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
and with the wooden dowel:

would i be sliding that dowel in between the lips, then turning it over onto its side onto a smooth surface then pressing down on the lip gently?

im assuming that by using a dowel, youre making sure the lips keep its conformity as the lip will 'wrap' around the dowel. Is this correct?

come to think of it, i think this may have been an issue from the start, as i experienced feeding jams all in part to what i thought was the mag spring needing to be worn it a bit. ill definately need to pick some new mags up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts