magazine feed issue for .22 lr

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by irata, Oct 10, 2008.

1. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Not uncommon for the relatively thin sheet metal of 22 mag lips to get deformed- and it does not take much. You might try "adjusting" them using thumb pressure on a smooth surface, such as a wooden dowel. Gently. Maybe just a little more. Opps, too much, back just a smidge. :eek:

2. irata

irata New Member

you mean by pressing the lips towards each other without tools?

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Yup. If I used a tool at all, it would be a bit of wood (sometimes that sheet metal can be hard on the fingers.) NOT as a stiking implement, but to press with (gently) In general, unless this is something you do a LOT, if you grab the mag with a pair of pliers, or stick it in a vice, etc, you are gonna overdo it. And then you are posting in the want ad section, looking for a replacement mag. Seriously, gently does it. When the lips get a bit deformed, it is usually very slight, and you just want it back the way it was.

4. irata

irata New Member

and with the wooden dowel:

would i be sliding that dowel in between the lips, then turning it over onto its side onto a smooth surface then pressing down on the lip gently?

im assuming that by using a dowel, youre making sure the lips keep its conformity as the lip will 'wrap' around the dowel. Is this correct?

come to think of it, i think this may have been an issue from the start, as i experienced feeding jams all in part to what i thought was the mag spring needing to be worn it a bit. ill definately need to pick some new mags up.