Magazine disconnects

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Recomm, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Recomm

Recomm New Member

The magazine disconnect makes it so a weapon can't be fired without a magazine inserted. I feel this is a completely ridiculous and unnecessary feature for a number of reasons. Can anyone sway me with some pros to keeping it in my Ruger MK 3?

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

No..... :D

But on the other hand, what is the purpose of firing a gun without a magazine in it? Other than for dry fire practice. Or am I missing something? I have a Mark II that does not have that feature.

3. magnumman

magnumman New Member

I have an LC9 with this feature. it is tough to drop the mag out of the gun unless you are trying too. I dont see myself getting rid of it. But i will grind down that horrible loaded chamber indicator.

4. SgtSam

SgtSam New Member

If I have a choice, I'd rather not have the magazine disconnect. If the gun is a good one and has it, I'll live with it.

As for the loaded chamber indicator, I don't have an opinion one way or the other. I can't see it unless I'm specifically looking for it. I sure can't see it when I'm shooting. So, it's a big "so what" to me.

5. orangello

orangello New Member

Might be good for the newer shooter, in case they aren't careful at cleaning time.

6. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

On the MK3 it makes field stripping just that much more annoying. I've been meaning to order the needed parts to delete that stupid thing.

7. WDB

WDB New Member

The only value to a mag disconnect would be if you are fighting for control of your firearm with a bad guy (and losing that fight). You could eject the mag and make the firearm nonfunctional.

In my opinion you should never let a threat get close enough where you are struggling to keep your firearm and if you do you best have reasonable self defense skills to correct that issue quickly.

8. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

FWIW, All it takes to get rid of the %@$#& magazine disconnect on a Ruger
    MKIII is a MKII hammer bushing. You CAN do it with washers---but the
    MKII bushing is only a $8 part.

9. Recomm

Recomm New Member

I'm going to take that advice. The freaking mag won't even drop out on it's own at this point!

10. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I pulled the mag safety from my BHP and it improved the trigger quite a bit.

But I'll be leaving it in my GSG 22lr 1911 for now. It's an extra preventer of accidental dry fires during cleaning and take down. Not a big deal, but...I'm okay with it there on a rimfire. Were this anything more than a plinker I might feel different.

11. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

I personally wouldnt own a handgun with this "feature." I find it annoying at the very least. It turns out that the majority of departments near where I live REQUIRE officers to carry guns with this feature. I can understand the theory of "oh crap the bg just wrestled away my gun," but it should never come to that. If it does, I have a vest, and there is a lot of training focused on retention (OC qualification for one).

12. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Bad idea for a defensive firearm where one shot might save your life,but good idea for a MK3 where as you might be firing 500 rounds in a single afternoon and constantly reloading the mags,or like me,holster the pistol as I reload my mags(don't accidentally want one in there ready to go off)

13. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

+1

I've seen dash cam video of this actually saving a cop. He was able to drop the mag before loosing control of his weapon.
    Before seeing the video I felt this feature was a solution in search of a problem. Now I see it as a solution for an LEO problem.

TACK

14. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Ah, I think I finally figured it out. The safety feature is for if there is still a round in the chamber, it can't be fired if the mag is out, right? I couldn't figure out why this feature would even be there.

15. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

It's because too many people aren't smart enough to handle guns safely and take them seriously.

As far as "making the weapon inoperable" goes, that is a two-way street. Say an officer is doing a tactical reload (replacing a non-empty mag with a full one), and gets rushed before he can get the mag in. The ability to make that one shot could easily make or break the fight.

I liked loaded-chamber indicators. I never use them to tell me a round "isn't" in the chamber (always check the actual chamber), but I like being able to quickly tell that a round is chambered.

16. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I don't like them but if you remove them it could be a huge liability issue if anyone ever got hurt with your pistol even after you sold it. On a hammer gun (like a High Power) after you clear the gun the hammer is a full cock and you can't lower it without inserting the mag. Just an annoyance but I don't like it. On most with this feature it interferes with easy mag removal. Low benefit but high annoyance factor.

17. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

I HAAATE that about my P22!!!!

18. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Yep, IMHO it's also there to ensure the less illuminated gun owner get's confused between his sidearms that have this feature and his sidearms that don't resulting in the next ND were sure to see pics of here...:rolleyes:

Personally, I'd like to find a gunsmith who could safely remove the thumb safeties from my 1911's.

TACK

19. Polygon

Polygon New Member

If it was my carry weapon I would leave it in. However, I will be deleting it in my Mark III Ruger. I know how to and make damn sure to clear my gun so I serves me no use in that gun and as has been said, makes stripping it that much easier. Considering how easy it is, I would do it if you clear you guns properly too.