Magazine Disconnect

Discussion in 'Ruger Handgun Forum' started by Polygon, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Polygon

Polygon New Member

I have a Mk III and a 22/45 Lite. I'd love to kill the magazine disconnect in both of them. Is there a good kit out there with everything I need to do it?

2. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Volquartsen

Put in the whole kit... BUT PLEASE run this test at the range after you put in the kit.

Gun pointed down range the entire time
    Flip the safety to ON
    pull the trigger
    Gun still pointed down range
    Flip the safety to OFF

Mine went bang, scared the hell out of me, VQ fixed it for no charge. It's not an unheard of failure.

3. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Good advice, thanks!

Do you have a link to that kit? I've tried searching and I can't seem to find it.

4. mayoted

mayoted New Member

5. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

You can do it with shims, or with a bushing. Bushing is easier.

Cheap part--I think I paid $8 for the last one. A little tricky getting
    it in, but not too bad.

Well worth the effort. Better trigger pull, magazines fall free when you
    hit the button.

6. checcles

checcles New Member

Saw this thread so I thought I'd post my experience with these...

First mod should be a MKIII hammer bushing like this one: https://www.tandemkross.com/Steel-Ruger-Mark-III-2245-Magazine-Disconnect-Bushing_p_9.html (use code RFQUALITY for 1.99 off) Also check out the Tandemkross Plus1 magazine bumpers that they offer here: https://www.tandemkross.com/2245-Plus1-Magazine-Bumpers_p_12.html Completely awesome.

Second, a Volquartsen sear found here with free shipping: Rimfire Sports & Custom: Volquartsen Ruger Mark II / III & 22/45 Target Sear

No need to buy the whole Volquartsen kit if you have a 22/45 you guys. Its a waste of money. You only need the sear, and trigger if you want it. Everything else doesn't work or isn't needed for 22/45's. The hammer you have in your gun performs just as well as the VQ one.

Do those two things and you'll have a 2lb trigger pull that is just out of this world. Add a VQ trigger for pre and over travel screw settings if you want and you're good to go.

7. cotex

cotex New Member

8. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

My wife's wanting one of these and this is just the info I was looking for. Thanks guys.

9. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

A VQ lower is around $250 AFAIR. It comes with a handier thumb safety also, and is a total drop in, no fitting.

10. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Just an update since it's been about a year since I posted this.

The kit from VC was way too much. That's nearing what I paid for the gun and there are other upgrades I'd rather get before that. I ended up getting a couple of the bushings from Tandemkross since I have a MkIII and a 22/45. I also got a speed strip kit I'm going to try on one that's supposed to make it easier to field strip for cleaning. The tools that I needed just showed up yesterday to do it all.

Hopfully I have some time I can do it today. Also, that video from Tandemkross was VERY helpful. I was worried that installing this kit would be harder than it looks.