Magazine Cleaning

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by PeteZaHut, May 17, 2011.

1. PeteZaHut

PeteZaHut New Member

Are you supposed to clean your magazines like you clean your guns? If so, do you do anything differently?

2. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

I clean my 1911, XDm, and Beretta Mags every third range trip.

I clean my revolvers' magazines every range trip, :D

3. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

I give mine a spray of Break Free and wipe them down with paper towels.

Don't oil them.

4. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

When I used to shoot factory ammo I wouldnt worry about it so much maybe every 5 range trips. Now that I shoot reloads I try and clean them every 2 trips depending on how dirty the powder gets them.

5. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

I run my magazines dry. No oil. About once a year or so I'll inspect them and spray them down with CRC Brake Clean which leaves no residue. If by some odd chance I notice they do get oily I'll clean off with the Brake Clean immediately.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  6. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Brake Free and air blown out with air compressor after every range trip. Repeat as needed. :cool:

7. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

I clean mine every time I clean my gun

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

I clean my 22lr mags every trip just from the nature of the dirty rounds. Other mags i clean when dropped or when they have ridden in a pocket more than week or every deep clean of the gun.

I oil the mag parts then wipe dry since i use clp it gets enough oil on there during the cleaning and wiping thoroughly ensures proper function leaving juuuuust enough in the metal pores behind.

9. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Now when you say you clean your mags. Do you clean just the outside or do you take the springs apart and clean inside the magazine? :confused:

10. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Whenever I do clean my magazines, which is not often, I take them apart to inspect and give them a real good douche of Brake Clean.

11. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Judging from the rest of you guys, I guess I better start cleaning my mags. I haven't cleaned my M&P mags since I bought it (4 years ago :eek:) Haven't had a problem in 6000 rounds though, so I never saw a reason to.

12. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Actually I have magazines for M1 carbines, Mini-14's, M-14/M1a's, that I havn't cleaned or even dissassembled since the early to late 1970's. Usually just shake them out if sand or dirt gets in them and thats all. However if they get oily by some odd happening I dissassemble and douche out with Brake Clean to get the oil out. I likes my magazines dry as popcorn farts.:D

13. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Popcorn farts = awesome
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUHzcXrX2_U&feature=related]YouTube - ‪Popcorn kernel in slow motion.‬‏[/ame]

14. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

15. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

I usually only clean my mags when the pages start to stick, but in an emergency damp tissues works just fine :eek:

16. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

It had to be done, I'm glad someone finally said it. :D

17. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Very good. lol

18. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

I clean mine with Break Free CLP. I disassemble wipe all parts with a break free treated cloth then wipe dry and reassemble

19. Thebiker

Thebiker New Member

When one of my autos is stripped for cleaning, it only takes an extra minute to take apart the magazines and do a quick clean. The quick blast with Brake Kleen just makes me feel that the entire job is complete.

Seems like fast & easy peace of mind.