Mag well opening

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by jeremyx28, Jan 8, 2014.

1. jeremyx28

jeremyx28 New Member

Is the mag well opening dimensions going to be the same on a 7.62 rifle as a .223? I just got a single stack m70 and I want to open it up for double stack mags. I have a saiga in 223 and borrowed my friend 5.45 and they are pretty damn close if not the same size openings, same thing for the mags themselves. I ordered some 7.62 steel mags today so obviously don't have them to go by. I want to have the work done before the mags get here....if not I'll just have to wait.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Firearms Talk mobile app

2. jeremyx28

jeremyx28 New Member

Well, I think I figured it out. The 7.62 steel mag has a thickness of about 1", my polymer 223 saiga has the same thickness. So I'm just going with the same size opening.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I'd wait on cutting anything untill you have something in hand to go by for dimensions. The old carpenters rule of "measure twice and cut once" applies here. There is really no harm in waiting til you have the dimensions in front of you, while cutting inappropriately could ruin th ewhole rifle before you ever had a new mag to put in it.

Removing metal is easy, putting it back is hard.

4. jeremyx28

jeremyx28 New Member

I ended up borrowing a friends Korean steel mag. I got it all cut out and blued. In my opinion it came out decent. This was the first time I ever did something this precise so there's a bit of a learning curve. The mag goes in nice. I'm happy with the results. I'll try and post a pic up soon.

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Be very careful, if you modify that to accept double stack mags, you MUST replace parts with US made parts. Section 922r is still the law. You cannot have more than 10 imported parts. The single stack is excepted as it only holds 10 rounds. You change it out to high cap, the rules kick in

On an AK there are 16 effected parts. Make it a double stack and you must replace 6 parts with US made parts. A US made magazine counts as 3 parts.

While (I understand) no individual has yet been prosecuted for violation of 922r, we as a forum have an obligation to keep you informed as to the law (as we know it) and there may come a time when ATF DOES go after individuals for such violations

6. jeremyx28

jeremyx28 New Member

I'm familiar with 922r I converted a saiga last year. The rifle is a century arms and has the required number of us parts in it. I do thank you for the advice though.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2014