Mag Question

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by USMC_Richey, Apr 2, 2012.

1. USMC_Richey

USMC_Richey New Member

This may be totally a noob question so bare with me here. I know some types of handguns have various types of mags that they would except. Like my M9 uses the new "sand resistant" mags but I could easily use another 92 mag or something along those lines. I just bought one of my pop's 1911s and he only had one functioning mag with it. I could just get a few more mags of the companies more familiar to me but after doing some curiosity research I started to get overwhelmed. I know enough to decipher between good and bad manufacturing but with all these companies nowadays making 1911 mags, or rather any mags for the common handguns in general, how the hell am I supposed to pick and choose which ones to purchase? Does it just become personal preference at this point, to some extent?

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

What kind of 1911 is it? Some are very picky about their mags and you run into function issues if they don't like it.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012

3. losack

losack New Member

I've spent tons of money on mags.

Brand and price do not matter! 32.00 dollars each for SS Wilson combat. I had to Dremel them to get them to work in a C3 Sig, Chip McCormick SS, 11.00 each function flawlessly!

Take your time and buy them one at a time. Then buy what works once.

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I've had many years of great service from Chip McCormick "Shooting Star" mags in many a 1911 :cool:
    MidwayUSA has some good prices -

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I've had a Colt 1911 for over 35 years and had good luck with Colt and surplus GI mags over the years so haven't bought new mags until recently when I got a couple MecGars. I can highly recommend MecGar. Lots of surplus mags still turn up at gun shows, etc. You can get good deals but inspect the feed lips and spot welds.

If you're interested in 8rd mags, they can really be hit or miss, try one before buying a lot.

6. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

The shooting stars are the only mags i use in my 1911, absolutely flawless function

7. orangello

orangello New Member

I have been very happy with the MecGar mags i have bought for my CZ75b & for my CZ52 (bleve those wer MG's too). Nice finish on the mags for the CZ, very slick.

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I agree Orange. Every MecGar I've bought (about 10 total) has worked flawlessly, from the P08 Luger, Hi Power, 1911 and S&W 5906. I really like how they squeeze in two extra rounds on the HP and 5906 yet still are flush mounts.

9. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

I can recommend mecgar, and checkmate mags. 44mag of selling the check mate mags cheap.