mag pouch and how long loaded?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by old fart, Apr 30, 2013.

1. old fart

old fart New Member

i have two questions and thought i would ask them both at once. i recently bought a stoeger cougar 40cal auto. i was wondering what type mag pouch i need?, i'll be hiking so i need a secure one. also will it hurt to leave my magazines loaded all the time? thanks for any help.

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Leave'em loaded-

3. nicklarimore

nicklarimore New Member

Leaving a magazine loaded or unloaded all the time will not wear out the spring. Constantly loading it up then unloading will.

4. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Yup, as advised, Springs don't degrade by staying still, no matter if fully compressed or extended.

As for a pouch, pick one any one. Use a pocket in a vest or pant. I use a back pocket when I carry extra mag, which is rarely.

5. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Look a used police pouch at a gun show. On with a velcro or snap secured cover.

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Be careful on what material is used.

If you like the looks of leather, be warned that leather collects moisture and could create mag problems with rust.

7. old fart

old fart New Member

a friend of mine today recommended not to get a mag pouch, he said i have 11rds already in the gun and the places i go that should be plenty. i live in a very rural area of kentucky, where hiking i have a greater chance to run upon bad 2 legged critters than near my home. he only recommended to take a small pouch with extra rds in it, about 10-20 only to save weight. what do you guys carry?, do you use a pouch or just carry extra ammo?. thanks

8. Max-Q

Max-Q New Member

An extra mag isn't only to provide more bullets. The mag is always the weakest link in an auto loading gun. If your mag fails for some reason you'll be in a jam without a spare mag. You can have all the bullets in the world but they won't do much good in a faulty mag.

9. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

I think that you need to decide whether or not you want to carry any extra rounds - only you can answer that question...

But if you do decide to carry extra rounds AND your gun requires a magazine - then I would definitely carry extra loaded magazines and not simply extra loose rounds.
    If you do that and are consistenly outdoors and it is hot/humid - I would look into nylon/velcro versus leather. Like maybe Uncle Mike's type mag pouch.

(also assuming that any mags carried would have been tested and reliable in said gun - Max-Q makes a good point)

10. KAPRAL-POLAND

KAPRAL-POLAND New Member

You can look at kydex pistol mag pouch.
    I saw few with straps and snap secure which looks like LEO ones...

I'm useing custom made nylon (poliester)/velcro pouches with kydex filling. When I need fast pouch I'm just fasten the velcro on the back of the pouch.
    When I don't need fast pouch and secure my mags I'm just fasten it in the front of it.

11. old fart

old fart New Member

found a blackhawk mag pouch at wal mart, its nylon and looks well made. have ya'll used these?, i got it as it was only $10. thanks